Re: [MedievalSawdust] Beech

  • Craig Robert Pierpont
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2005
         I don't have any documentation for it at this time, but it is my recollection that Beech woods were the common workshop of European bodgers. Bodgers being itinerant turners who would walk into a woods with a hatchet, axe and froe, set up camp, build lathes and spend a season turning furnature parts. These would be parts for just the sort of low end utilitarian furnature that would not have been expected to last for generations and would not have ended up in museums. Having done a little of this work, I can say that Beech is ideally suited for this. (Beech is also the traditional wood for planes.)

      Craig Robert

      Yahoo! for Good