Re: We need a FAQ...

  • Avery Austringer
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 28, 2005
      Another topic - Tools. What came into existance where
      and when. With references to paintings, illuminations
      and artifacts.

      Another another topic - Woods. What was used
      where/when. What is a resonable substitution for
      European woods that you can't hardly get in the US.

      Avery
    • Chuck Phillips
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 28, 2005
        Ralg mentioned setting up a Wiki.  There's a free wiki host at www.seedwiki.com.  I could set up a basic wiki there if there are no objections.  Keep in mind that this is a _basic_ wiki, and if we want things like password protection, we have to start paying some money.

        Charles Joiner
        Caid

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 28, 2005
          Alternatively, I could set up a server at home and host the thing.  One of the benefits of business-class DSL...

          Charles

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 28, 2005
            On the topics of woods- My local Rockler outlet has imported European Beech. At $8.00+ a BF and I really want to know if it is all that superior to the $2.50+BF before I buy any. A Wood FAQ could go a long way to untangling this mess.

            Fine Woodworking magazine has regularly published wood reviews, mostly on North American species. Does anybody know of any British or Continental magazines that have done the same? Such magazines may be collected in a university's periodicals library just waiting for us to request them.

            Jamie

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 28, 2005
              for those of us that don't know....

              huh? what is a wiki?

              I'm hoping for a better explaination
              than what was given earlier....

              --- Chuck Phillips <chuck@...> wrote:

              > Ralg mentioned setting up a Wiki. There's a free
              > wiki host at
              > www.seedwiki.com. I could set up a basic wiki there
              > if there are no
              > objections. Keep in mind that this is a _basic_
              > wiki, and if we want things
              > like password protection, we have to start paying
              > some money.
              >
              > Charles Joiner
              > Caid

              __________________________________
              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Gary Halstead
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 28, 2005
                There isn't much surviving beech furniture from before the early 19th
                century. Because beech is a "sweet" wood (i.e.; it doesn't lots of
                tannins or other chemicals) it is highly susceptible to rot and insects.
                While this isn't usually a problem in modern climate controlled
                houses, it was apparently enough to make artisans of earlier periods
                look to other woods. On the other hand, that "sweetness" means it makes
                nice firewood.

                Ranulf

                www.medievalwoodworking.com

                Joseph Paul wrote:
                > On the topics of woods- My local Rockler outlet has imported European Beech.
                > At $8.00+ a BF and I really want to know if it is all that superior to the
                > $2.50+BF before I buy any. A Wood FAQ could go a long way to untangling this
                > mess.
                >
                > Fine Woodworking magazine has regularly published wood reviews, mostly on
                > North American species. Does anybody know of any British or Continental
                > magazines that have done the same? Such magazines may be collected in a
                > university's periodicals library just waiting for us to request them.
                >
                > Jamie

              • Mark Schuldenfrei
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 28, 2005
                  > huh? what is a wiki?

                  Essentially, it is a web page that anyone can write on - it
                  tracks changes and it's easy to undo the changes and roll back
                  a level.

                  An amazing example of this sort of thing is Wikipedia.org
                  an online and collaborative encyclopedia. Upon which you can
                  look up Wiki... and many other things.

                  Tibor
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 28, 2005
                    A wiki is a web site. It has a URL and shows up in your browser just
                    like any other one. The difference is that a wiki can be edited by the
                    users. The most famous is www.wikipedia.com, the on-line encyclopedia.

                    Master Will
                    http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                    ----
                    > --

                  • Tom Rettie
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 29, 2005
                      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Paul"
                      <josephnjody@s...> wrote:

                      > On the topics of woods- My local Rockler outlet has imported
                      European Beech.
                      > At $8.00+ a BF and I really want to know if it is all that
                      superior to the
                      > $2.50+BF before I buy any. A Wood FAQ could go a long way to
                      untangling this
                      > mess.

                      I just finished a turned backstool out of quartersawn English beech,
                      and it's beautiful stuff to work with. Very tight, straight grain,
                      nice rays and flecks, takes nice detail. I don't find it often, but
                      it's now on my list of favorites to work with.

                      You can see it here:

                      http://www.his.com/~tom/sca/projects/current.html

                      Regards,

                      Fin (Tom R.)
                    • Joseph Paul
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 29, 2005
                        Thanks for the info! This is the kind of stuff I really like to know. Does knowing that beech furniture doesn't survive the ravages of time mean that it wasn't made? Are there any extant joiners ledgers that would shed some light on what woods these guys were buying and what it was being used for?

                        On a more utilitarian aspect does anybody know if medieval tools were made from beech? I am under the impression that it was good for plane bodies because it was stable and hard wearing. Are there enough differences in the European and North American species to warrant the use of the European?

                        Jamie Blackrose

                        Joseph Paul wrote:
                        > On the topics of woods- My local Rockler outlet has imported European Beech.
                        > At $8.00+ a BF and I really want to know if it is all that superior to the
                        > $2.50+BF before I buy any. A Wood FAQ could go a long way to untangling this
                        > mess.
                        >
                        > Fine Woodworking magazine has regularly published wood reviews, mostly on
                        > North American species. Does anybody know of any British or Continental
                        > magazines that have done the same? Such magazines may be collected in a
                        > university's periodicals library just waiting for us to request them.
                        >
                        > Jamie

                      • Tom Rettie
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 29, 2005
                          <josephnjody@s...> wrote:

                          > Thanks for the info! This is the kind of stuff I really like to
                          know. Does
                          > knowing that beech furniture doesn't survive the ravages of time
                          mean that
                          > it wasn't made? Are there any extant joiners ledgers that would
                          shed some
                          > light on what woods these guys were buying and what it was being
                          used for?

                          Beech was definitely used in European joinery and turnery. In the
                          15th century, Leon Battista Alberti noted "The beech...may be put to
                          good use in chests and beds...." His treatise entitled De Re
                          Aedificatoria (On the Art of Building) has a brief chapter on what
                          various woods were considered useful for. Beech shows up in
                          surviving English artifacts, and with oak, ash, and elm was popular
                          in chairmaking.

                          If you want more specific references, let me know and I'll look them
                          up tonight.

                          Regards,

                          Fin
                        • maf@gleichen.ca
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 29, 2005
                            Very nice chair

                            Mark
                            >> On the topics of woods- My local Rockler outlet has imported
                            > European Beech.
                            >> At $8.00+ a BF and I really want to know if it is all that
                            > superior to the
                            >> $2.50+BF before I buy any. A Wood FAQ could go a long way to
                            > untangling this
                            >> mess.
                            >
                            > I just finished a turned backstool out of quartersawn English beech,
                            > and it's beautiful stuff to work with. Very tight, straight grain,
                            > nice rays and flecks, takes nice detail. I don't find it often, but
                            > it's now on my list of favorites to work with.
                            >
                            > You can see it here:
                            >
                            > http://www.his.com/~tom/sca/projects/current.html
                            >
                            > Regards,
                            >
                            > Fin (Tom R.)
                            >

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Ralph Lindberg
                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 2, 2005
                              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Phillips" <chuck@c...>
                              wrote:
                              > Ralg mentioned setting up a Wiki.

                              I got called away so I missed things, but while my hosting service
                              offers Wiki's, it's an extra fee

                              > There's a free wiki host at
                              > www.seedwiki.com. I could set up a basic wiki there if there are no
                              > objections. Keep in mind that this is a _basic_ wiki, and if we
                              want things
                              > like password protection, we have to start paying some money.

                              Might work... we can always delete chaff additions

                              Ralg
                              AnTIr