RE: [MedievalSawdust] Hello

    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 25, 2005

      All the way to the joint capsule, and you never felt it?  Boy, it must have been really, really sharp.

      Master Will

      http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 25, 2005
        Ayup.  Scary Sharp™. (http://www.shavings.net/SCARY.HTM)

        Nota Bene:  If you understood any of that, YMBAG.

        Charles

      • kjworz@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 26, 2005
          Yup, 54 in the left nostril, 61 in the right. All very visible in the reflection of a 3/4 inch chisel.

          Galoot.

          --
          -Chris Schwartz
          Silver Spring, MD

          -----
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 26, 2005
            Got it all. It's not so much the hairs as it is the pores in-between.

            Master Will
            http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

            Ayup. Scary SharpT. (http://www.shavings.net/SCARY.HTM)

            Nota Bene: If you understood any of that, YMBAG.

            Charles
            -----

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
              Mine went in a full inch between the thumb and first finger and I did not feel anything even with it squirting two feet.

              James Cunningham
              -----
              Sent: Monday, September 26, 2005 12:39 AM

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
                You know I think it would be a good thing for our SO's to not see
                these posts. While mine thinks the story of the chisel in my back as
                funny (and loves to tell it), our more, ah... serious injuries might
                disturb them, I know mine has no idea how I got the scars on my left
                hand...

                Ralg
                AnTir
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
                  Trust me: they know.

                  Master Will
                  http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 11, 2005
                    I haven't checked in here, for awhile.
                    Now I see you're talking about injuries.
                    I got a mess-o-injuries to my off-hand...but only 2 good scars.
                    a half inch one inside my wrist, just above my watch band (one of the
                    rare occassions I had actually agreed to do a commission piece...bled
                    all over the piece, so had to start another one....)

                    And my 'pride-and-joy' a 1 inch one, at the base of my left index
                    finger, where I sunk a 1" chisel to the bone, while trying to quickly
                    skim out a recess in a carpentry piece/part of a trailer we were
                    taking, just before we left for Pennsic.

                    My lord had just spent 2 hours trying to light his forge 'the old-
                    fashioned way......with flint and steel, and had Just gotten it
                    finally lit, when the chisel slipped and went straight into the
                    steadying hand, holding the edge of the board.

                    It didn't hurt, yet. But I knew it was 'bad' I only remember a
                    glimpse of bone at the bottom of the cut, before it welled with blood
                    and I used my right thumb and forefinger to quickly clamp it closed.

                    Than I hollered for my lord, perfectly calm, but hating to drag him
                    away from his forge he'd been agonizing over so long. "Honey ! I
                    hurt myself." (how bad?) "Hospital. NOW !"

                    He got the forge extenguished. I got to the car, but had no free
                    hand to open the door with. By the time we got to the Dr's office
                    (it was still office hours) the dr. had to un-pry my right hand
                    clamp, because I no-longer could feel anything to open it with.
                    I'd done a very good job of 'the clamp'...he, then, had to pry the
                    cut open, just to see how bad the damage was (and THAT HURT !!!)

                    8/eight painful stitches later, I got to go home.
                    My son met us with "I cleaned up all the blood, I didn't think you
                    needed to come home and see it..." (Thankyou.....blood..?....'All-the-
                    blood' The only 'blood' I remembered was what I saw well up in the
                    cut......where had the rest of it come from ?)

                    My next thought was "but what did I do with the chisel I'd been
                    using ?"
                    He said it was "right on the tailgate, where you put it"

                    Ever the practical craftsman.....I'd apparently, safely set it down,
                    before I'd used that hand to clamp the other one closed.

                    We were due to leave for Pennsic, days later....too soon to get the
                    stitches out. So I took cuticle scissors with us, to do the job
                    myself. (and saved another 35 $, off the total Dr's bill for my
                    stupidity)

                    Amongst the carving community, there is a very true saying "It only
                    takes one trip to the emergency room, to pay for a whole pile of
                    carver's gloves"

                    The next carving show I went to, my #1 shopping list item was a glove.
                    My hand was still tender when the show came around. I found my glove
                    (15 $) and slipped it on my hand, checking for fit. The next thing
                    I knew, the dealer grabbed the fingers of my left hand, holding them
                    tightly, and with his right, yanked a hook-bladed knife, down Hard,
                    right where my tender scar was. I jumped, he took it for surprise
                    (but it was mostly pain from the pressure of the knife)

                    He grinned and let go of my hand.
                    I yanked the glove off, to show him why I'd yelped.
                    When he saw the bright red scar, he apologised, but then added "But
                    if you'd had one of my gloves, you wouldn't of gotten hurt to begin
                    with...." (yeah, and that's why I was shopping for one, now)

                    I bought the one he'd attempted to amputate the finger on. I still
                    have and use it, years later (I haven't been to Pennsic in 11 years,
                    and it was 12 or 13, ago, when we took that trailer) The thumb of
                    the glove is worn out, and through...it's missing a number of blue
                    rubber speed bumps, but it still works great, and when I'm wearing,
                    it, I can work safely and more quickly, without worrying when a
                    knife/gouge/chisel is gonna wind up imbedded in human me.

                    Oh yeah, one extra bit.
                    Seems there's a main nerve that runs up your finger there.
                    I was lucky to have just nicked mine, otherwise the finger would have
                    become useless....two Dr's expressed grave concern that I'd severed
                    the nerve.......I hadn't...but....still damaged it, some....

                    An Sca-er, training in the medical field, who's specialty was nerve-
                    regeneration, asked me about any wierd damage/effects, etc. to the
                    finger....yeah....one....

                    if I stroked the finger, on the inside/thumb side, I actually FELT
                    it, on the opposite side of my finger !!!! Stroke it on the
                    outside, and I felt it on the inside edge........ !..... He asked
                    how long since the accident (I told him) and then he asked if the
                    problem still existed ? (no) He just nodded his head "The nerve re-
                    routed itself......that's what they're supposed to do, if the damage
                    isn't too bad..."

                    i.e. I'd lucked out.
                    Knock-on-wood...I've never been seriously injured, again, since then.
                    Mostly thanks to the glove which I keep in my traveling carving box.
                    Shara
                    http://www.angelfire.com/ga/waterbearingfish/marcherlord/asashara.html
                    http://www.housebarra.com/asa/

                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Pratt, Jr."
                    <cunning@f...> wrote:

                    > Mine went in a full inch between the thumb and first finger and I
                    did not feel anything even with it squirting two feet.

                    > James Cunningham

                  • Joseph Hayes
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 11, 2005
                      Posted with the permission of the moderator.

                      I have a new copy of "Oak Furniture: The British Tradition" by
                      Chinnery. It retails for $100 on Amazon.com, but I'm selling it for
                      $75 with shipping included (money orders and US buyers only please).
                      The book has minor damage to the spine and dust cover, where it looks
                      like it may have been dropped or bumped into. Pictures available upon
                      request.

                      First come, first servered to those that reply offlist to
                      von_landstuhl@...

                      Amazon link for reference:
                      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1851490132/102-0180361-6049708?v=glance&n=283155&s=books&v=glance

                      Thanks,