Oak Grain and Mixed Woods

  • Avery Austringer
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 23, 2005
      Part of the difference between modern wood and older
      wood is that, often, modern wood grows faster becasue
      it's not deep in a forest somewhere competeing for
      every bit of nutient it can find, but rather it's
      farmed along side a bunch of trees of a similar age.
      Also, there is research that points towards trees
      growing faster as CO2 concentrations increase, so, at
      the end of the first period, it's Gaea Hypothosis 1,
      Structural Strength 0.

      There are a number of cases of wooden object in which
      mixed species were used, aparently with an eye towards
      wood properties. Elm being split resistant, white oak
      being rot resistant, spruce being low desnity, etc....
      The one near period example I can come up with right
      now (sorry, there's too much blood in my caffine
      sream) is a brace with a knob turned from walnut and a
      body made of elm.

      Avery