Re: Timber Framers Guild

  • Jon Terris
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 23, 2005
      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, rmhowe <MMagnusM@b...> wrote:
      > Wood and Wood Joints: Building Traditions of Europe and Japan
      > by Klaus Zwerger
      > The craftsmen who jointed wood without adhesive or nails to form the
      > barns and houses of medieval Europe are the unacknowledged magicians
      of
      > their age. Their skills have been lost in Europe, but in Japan
      > carpenters continue to build in unsupported timber and a study of
      their
      > methods sheds new light on the construction of surviving European
      > buildings.

      I am happy to report that the skills and tradition of 'heavy'* timber
      framing are still alive and well in Europe! Granted, framing had all
      but died out in England, the French and Germans have continued with
      some very strong framing guilds. There is a growing revival in England
      (I am an aspiring framer myself) as more and more people discover the
      joys of honest craft over the 9-5 office drudge.

      July this year saw a collaborative effort with members from the Timber-
      Framers Guild (USA), the Carpenters Fellowship (UK) and some European
      framers working together to build a fantastic new office space for a
      woodland trust in Oxfordshire (www.northmoortrust.co.uk).

      We built this using the American 'Square Rule' system which is a
      relatively modern system compared to the English 'Scribe Rule' or the
      French system ('French Scribe Rule'!)

      I would recommend the Timber Framers Guild to any one with an interest
      in framing, they have regular working get-togethers where anyone is
      welcome regardless of skill level- meet lots of great people and
      produce something that will last and often enrich the lives of the
      local community too!

      * I have used the term 'Heavy' to differentiate between
      traditional 'post and beam' framing and totally modern 'stud wall'
      framing.

      Best wishes,

      Jon.