I had a thought about making a rope bed that would fit in my car...

  • Joel
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 18, 2005
      I'm still very new to the woodworking scene but the idea of having a
      nice bed to keep my wife and I off the ground at events and also allow
      us to double up on our pavillion space by storing boxes under the bed
      is too good to pass up.

      The challenge is I dont have a truck and dont relish the idea of
      strapping 6 feet of board to the top of my Volvo 240 DL.

      So I was thinking about a way to have the length of the boards used
      for the bed shortened and I came up with an idea.

      Since I was already altering the few rope bed plans I was able to find
      online I decided to try mapping out one that would fit a coleman king
      sized air mattress since I know that our pavillion has room for it
      (especially with boxes stored under the bed.)

      I'm a little uncertain about stability issues and would like some
      advice!

      I've uploaded a copy of the sketchy plans I've made so far and If
      anyone can give me their opinion and/or advice that would be great.

      follow this link:
      http://images.snapfish.com/344%3A294%3B23232%7Ffp4
      5%3Dot%3E2323%3D%3B%3A6%3D537%3D3232%3B%3A64466%3A6nu0mrj

      At the top I have two of the options i thought of for connecting my
      boards in the middle of each side. The general idea was to make the
      bed with 8 2.5 foot legs instead of just 4 at the corners. I thought
      that if I did that then I could cut the side pieces in half making
      them each less thatn 4 feet long.

      At the bottom of the pictures is the idea I had for connecting the
      corner legs with the sides. I thought about cutting a cross shaped
      hole in the top of each side leg which would allow the two side pieces
      to slide in to the leg and lock in to eachother, from the top. This
      also got me thinking about the possibility of adding on tall posts to
      each corner at a later point but thats in the future.

      Again I'm new to this but any help would be appreciated. I figured on
      holding the bed together with a tusk/tenon type of system used on each
      of the sides as it sticks out of a corner post. I was thinking that
      if the corners were tightend well with tusks they would hold the other
      four posts solidly without any additional reinforcement.

      Thanks!

      Llewin de Wales
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 18, 2005
        I can't see the file....

        A hinge at the joint of the siderails along
        with a extra leg to support them should work.

        I have made few beds

        Try this...

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 18, 2005
          Is that side rail a though tenon with a key, or a blind tenon with a
          peg?

          Master Will
          http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

          --- Joel <llewin@...> wrote:

          > I'm still very new to the woodworking scene but the
          > idea of having a
          > nice bed to keep my wife and I off the ground at
          > events and also allow
          > us to double up on our pavillion space by storing
          > boxes under the bed
          > is too good to pass up.
          >
          > The challenge is I dont have a truck and dont relish
          > the idea of
          > strapping 6 feet of board to the top of my Volvo 240
          > DL.
          >
          > So I was thinking about a way to have the length of
          > the boards used
          > for the bed shortened and I came up with an idea.
          >
          > Since I was already altering the few rope bed plans
          > I was able to find
          > online I decided to try mapping out one that would
          > fit a coleman king
          > sized air mattress since I know that our pavillion
          > has room for it
          > (especially with boxes stored under the bed.)
          >
          > I'm a little uncertain about stability issues and
          > would like some
          > advice!
          >
          > I've uploaded a copy of the sketchy plans I've made
          > so far and If
          > anyone can give me their opinion and/or advice that
          > would be great.
          >
          > follow this link:
          > http://images.snapfish.com/344%3A294%3B23232%7Ffp4

          5%3Dot%3E2323%3D%3B%3A6%3D537%3D3232%3B%3A64466%3A6nu0mrj

          > At the top I have two of the options i thought of
          > for connecting my
          > boards in the middle of each side. The general idea
          > was to make the
          > bed with 8 2.5 foot legs instead of just 4 at the
          > corners. I thought
          > that if I did that then I could cut the side pieces
          > in half making
          > them each less thatn 4 feet long.
          >
          > At the bottom of the pictures is the idea I had for
          > connecting the
          > corner legs with the sides. I thought about cutting
          > a cross shaped
          > hole in the top of each side leg which would allow
          > the two side pieces
          > to slide in to the leg and lock in to eachother,
          > from the top. This
          > also got me thinking about the possibility of adding
          > on tall posts to
          > each corner at a later point but thats in the
          > future.
          >
          > Again I'm new to this but any help would be
          > appreciated. I figured on
          > holding the bed together with a tusk/tenon type of
          > system used on each
          > of the sides as it sticks out of a corner post. I
          > was thinking that
          > if the corners were tightend well with tusks they
          > would hold the other
          > four posts solidly without any additional
          > reinforcement.
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Llewin de Wales

        • Terafan Greydragon
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 18, 2005
            Joel,

            Conal's drawing works well, but you may find it equally functional to
            turn the corner post around and put the side rail on the *outside*. IMHO
            you don't need the peg because the ropes hold the side rail in the slot on
            the leg.

            See www.greydragon.org/furniture/beds/index.html for a set of plans (if you
            haven't already seen them).

            cheers,
            Terafan

            --- Joel <llewin@...> wrote:

            > I'm still very new to the woodworking scene but the
            > idea of having a
            > nice bed to keep my wife and I off the ground at
            > events and also allow
            > us to double up on our pavillion space by storing
            > boxes under the bed
            > is too good to pass up.
            >
            > The challenge is I dont have a truck and dont relish
            > the idea of
            > strapping 6 feet of board to the top of my Volvo 240
            > DL.
            >
            > So I was thinking about a way to have the length of
            > the boards used
            > for the bed shortened and I came up with an idea.
            >
            > Since I was already altering the few rope bed plans
            > I was able to find
            > online I decided to try mapping out one that would
            > fit a coleman king
            > sized air mattress since I know that our pavillion
            > has room for it
            > (especially with boxes stored under the bed.)
            >
            > I'm a little uncertain about stability issues and
            > would like some
            > advice!
            >
            > I've uploaded a copy of the sketchy plans I've made
            > so far and If
            > anyone can give me their opinion and/or advice that
            > would be great.
            >
            > follow this link:
            > http://images.snapfish.com/344%3A294%3B23232%7Ffp4

            5%3Dot%3E2323%3D%3B%3A6%3D537%3D3232%3B%3A64466%3A6nu0mrj

            > At the top I have two of the options i thought of
            > for connecting my
            > boards in the middle of each side. The general idea
            > was to make the
            > bed with 8 2.5 foot legs instead of just 4 at the
            > corners. I thought
            > that if I did that then I could cut the side pieces
            > in half making
            > them each less thatn 4 feet long.
            >
            > At the bottom of the pictures is the idea I had for
            > connecting the
            > corner legs with the sides. I thought about cutting
            > a cross shaped
            > hole in the top of each side leg which would allow
            > the two side pieces
            > to slide in to the leg and lock in to eachother,
            > from the top. This
            > also got me thinking about the possibility of adding
            > on tall posts to
            > each corner at a later point but thats in the
            > future.
            >
            > Again I'm new to this but any help would be
            > appreciated. I figured on
            > holding the bed together with a tusk/tenon type of
            > system used on each
            > of the sides as it sticks out of a corner post. I
            > was thinking that
            > if the corners were tightend well with tusks they
            > would hold the other
            > four posts solidly without any additional
            > reinforcement.
            >
            > Thanks!
            >
            > Llewin de Wales

          • Johann Friedrich
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 18, 2005
              If you want to make a bed that breaks down like this, then I would suggest
              a slat bed. That joint in the middle of each rail is a concern when you
              apply the force of a properly tightend rope bed.

              Ken Bowley yahoo@...
              AKA: Lord Johann Friedrich http://www.trod.org
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 18, 2005
                --- Johann Friedrich <yahoo@...> wrote:

                > If you want to make a bed that breaks down like
                > this, then I would suggest
                > a slat bed. That joint in the middle of each rail
                > is a concern when you
                > apply the force of a properly tightend rope bed.

                Oh yeah, hadn't thought about that....

                I added a support to my bed that runs from the
                head of the bed to the foot, right down the center.
                When/If the ropes stretch this turns one 'hammock'
                into two. No matter how much you love your lady
                laying on top of each other on a hot humid
                night just will not work.

                If you were to add a cross brace from side to side
                you could still tighten the ropes enough. You would be
                dividing the bed into four parts instead on two. As
                long as the support are below the ropes they should
                not
                get in the way....

                But at that point you are halfway to a slat bed...

                http://mail.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 18, 2005
                  --- Bill McNutt <mcnutt@...> wrote:

                  > Is that side rail a though tenon with a key, or a
                  > blind tenon with a
                  > peg?

                  Now that I've looked at it again.... I'm gonna
                  rename the end and side rails and trade their
                  positions ( it's been a while since I've looked
                  closely at the drawing )

                  The side rail goes into the wide rabbet in the leg
                  The head and foot rail tennon goes though the side
                  rail and the leg, then is pegged in place.

                  The peg holds both the side and foot/head in place
                  and the wide rabbet adds extra support to the longer
                  side rails .

                  I'm actually cheating and using modern bed rail
                  clips that I've picked up at Rockler's now instead
                  of tennons and pegs. Once the bed is together they
                  are compleatly hidden and there is not tennon for
                  my wife to bang her knees on sticking out of the bed

                  search Rockler.com for part number 28589 or 28597
                  if this link does not work...

                  http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?&offerings_id=10&SearchHandle=DADBDBDDDADADDDGDADFDIDDDBGFGBGDCNDIDJGFDCCNDEGGDJDDCNDIDJDHDACNGFDEDEGCGFDBDDDFGEGGDHDADADADADBDADADADBDCGCGFGECAGIGBHCGEHHGBHCGFDADADADEDADADADADADADADBDFDADADADBDADADADADADADADADADADADADBDADADADBDCGCGFGECAGIGBHCGEHHGBHCGFDADADADBDB&filter=bed%20hardware

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Joel
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 18, 2005
                    For some reason I did was not able to see the attachement... I use the
                    Digest and the yahoo groups website instead of getting individual
                    emails... Could that be the problem?

                    ~Llewin (aka Joel)

                    <baronconal@y...> wrote:
                    > I can't see the file....
                    >
                    > A hinge at the joint of the siderails along
                    > with a extra leg to support them should work.
                    >
                    > I have made few beds
                    >
                    > Try this...
                    >

                    > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                    >
                    > Aude Aliquid Dignum
                    > ' Dare Something Worthy '

                    > http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Ralph Lindberg
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 19, 2005
                      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart ...
                      > Oh yeah, hadn't thought about that....
                      >
                      > I added a support to my bed that runs from the
                      > head of the bed to the foot, right down the center.
                      > When/If the ropes stretch this turns one 'hammock'
                      > into two. No matter how much you love your lady
                      > laying on top of each other on a hot humid
                      > night just will not work.

                      Yes go with a slat bed... I've never seen an "older" (ie used) rope
                      bed that was tight. We went slat and never looked back....

                      ...At least until we went to the dark-side and now camp in a 25ft 5th
                      wheel with heat/light/water and a powered refer (ICE-CREAM at hot
                      events!!!). I've converted more people to the dark-side with ice-cream
                      then any other idea.

                      Ralg
                      AnTir
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 19, 2005
                        The secret to using a rope bed is to never unlace it. You can make it
                        really, really tight, but it's a lot of work, time, and energy each time you
                        assemble it. People I know who use rope beds over the long term all,
                        without exception, have beds small enough that they can transport them
                        strung. If you're tight on space, go slat.

                        Master Will
                        http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood
                        > I added a support to my bed that runs from the
                        > head of the bed to the foot, right down the center.
                        > When/If the ropes stretch this turns one 'hammock'
                        > into two. No matter how much you love your lady
                        > laying on top of each other on a hot humid
                        > night just will not work.

                        Yes go with a slat bed... I've never seen an "older" (ie used) rope
                        bed that was tight. We went slat and never looked back....

                        ...At least until we went to the dark-side and now camp in a 25ft 5th
                        wheel with heat/light/water and a powered refer (ICE-CREAM at hot
                        events!!!). I've converted more people to the dark-side with ice-cream
                        then any other idea.

                        Ralg
                        AnTir

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • Johann Friedrich
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 19, 2005
                          We've got a queen size rope bed, and we completely disassemble it for
                          transport. It does take a little time to setup (take down is rather
                          quick), but I can't even image attempting to store it strung up.

                          As long as you have the proper tools, then it's not really a problem
                          getting it tight. You do end out with a little extra wear and tear on the
                          ropes during assembly and disassembly, but I figure i've got another year
                          or two before I need to replace the rope, and I'll probably be replacing
                          other parts before then... in fact new side rails are next no that list.
                          =-)

                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 19, 2005
                            Greetings from Terafan,

                            I have agree with Lord Johann. I have been using my full size rope bed for
                            about 12 years now, and ALWAYS dis-assemble it for transport. Yes, it does
                            take a few minutes to set up, but then so does everything else. In fact
                            my bed is faster to set up than my Glastonbury chairs, which I also take
                            apart completely.

                            I am still using the original sisal ropes that I started with. Yes, they
                            have stretched over the years, but not enough at any one event for me to
                            notice (even during two weeks at Pennsic).

                            My rope bed fits in my car. In fact, my entire encampment -- with two
                            chests, gothic arch chairs, Glastonbury chairs, trestle table, bed, canopy,
                            carpets, and the tent -- fits in my Honda Accord. You can see this at
                            http://www.greydragon.org/images/encampment/

                            cheers,
                            Terafan

                            Master Rhys Terafan Greydragon terafan@...
                            Brewer, tent and furniture maker, and other things I can't remember...

                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 19, 2005
                              --- Bill McNutt <mcnutt@...> wrote:

                              > The secret to using a rope bed is to never unlace
                              > it. You can make it
                              > really, really tight, but it's a lot of work, time,
                              > and energy each time you
                              > assemble it. People I know who use rope beds over
                              > the long term all,
                              > without exception, have beds small enough that they
                              > can transport them
                              > strung. If you're tight on space, go slat.

                              Rope bed wrench....

                              Allows me to get the ropes tighened to the point
                              where they vibrate like a plunked guitar string.

                              __________________________________
                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • Joel
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 19, 2005
                                *blink*.

                                Lord Master Terafan,

                                Did I read that correctly... You fit *ALL* of that in a Honda Accord?!

                                Do you tie anything to the top? If not HOW ON EARTH?!?
                                Does this include your food supplies?

                                YIS,

                                Llewin de Wales

                                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Terafan Greydragon"

                              • Ralph Lindberg
                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 19, 2005
                                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Joel" <llewin@c...> wrote:
                                  > *blink*.
                                  >
                                  > Lord Master Terafan,
                                  >
                                  > Did I read that correctly... You fit *ALL* of that in a Honda Accord?!
                                  >
                                  > Do you tie anything to the top? If not HOW ON EARTH?!?
                                  > Does this include your food supplies?

                                  I was astounded, looking at the photos, much more then I carried in
                                  a similar vehicle. I can recall fitting a 10x10 square pavilion,
                                  armor, chairs, etc, etc with room for two. But I used a roof rack.
                                  Then I went to a 4 ft utility trailer, then a small pickup, then...

                                  Ralg (who's total vehicle length is under 50 ft)
                                  AnTir
                                • Terafan Greydragon
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 20, 2005
                                    Llewin,

                                    Yes, everything was *inside* the Honda. I put the pictures up so you
                                    could see the encampment and how much space was still left inside the Honda.
                                    Nothing tied to the roof. Go look at the pictures on the web page I
                                    referenced.

                                    It does include food supplies... for a weekend. The small painted chest
                                    with blue corners, which you can see in the picture with the trestle table,
                                    is my cooler chest and cold food is packed there. Food that can be out is
                                    put whereever is convenient.

                                    There is still room for my lady's garb, and all my armour. (I just didn't
                                    need it that weekend because I was riding at an English Heritage jousting
                                    event.)

                                    chers,

                                    <terafan@g...> wrote:
                                    > Greetings from Terafan,
                                    >
                                    > I have agree with Lord Johann. I have been using my full
                                    size rope bed for
                                    > about 12 years now, and ALWAYS dis-assemble it for transport. Yes,
                                    it does
                                    > take a few minutes to set up, but then so does everything else.
                                    In fact
                                    > my bed is faster to set up than my Glastonbury chairs, which I also
                                    take
                                    > apart completely.
                                    >
                                    > I am still using the original sisal ropes that I started with.
                                    Yes, they
                                    > have stretched over the years, but not enough at any one event for
                                    me to
                                    > notice (even during two weeks at Pennsic).
                                    >
                                    > My rope bed fits in my car. In fact, my entire encampment --
                                    with two
                                    > chests, gothic arch chairs, Glastonbury chairs, trestle table, bed,
                                    canopy,
                                    > carpets, and the tent -- fits in my Honda Accord. You can see this
                                    at
                                    > http://www.greydragon.org/images/encampment/
                                    >

                                    > cheers,
                                    > Terafan
                                    >
                                    > Master Rhys Terafan Greydragon terafan@g...
                                    > Brewer, tent and furniture maker, and other things I can't
                                    remember...

                                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                                  • Helen Schultz
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Oct 24 8:39 PM