Update on Toybox Project

  • Helen Schultz
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2005
      Greetins all...

      Sadly, Claus the Toymaker isn't willing to let me post the photos of his pieces at all <sigh>... I have to honor this request, as it is a part of his livelyhood, at least at Pennsic.  But, this doesn't stop me (or us) from being creative with some of our own ideas.  As I mentioned before, I've done some similar puzzles in the past using a child's coloring book for inspiration, so this isn't a new thought.

      I have loaded a bunch of patterns for toys into the Files section (I will add in the directions from the book for the Sword and Shield either later today or tomorrow) in the Meisterin Katarina Helene folder.  The ones I labeled Possible Jigsaw Puzzle could either be cut into individual pieces, or just painted onto a solid background and then that background cut into puzzle pieces.

      The way I've done these types of puzzles before is to use two pieces of 1/4" birch plywood (gives a better look than pine) cut to about 8.5" x 11" (you can make them any size you want, though).  One piece of the plywood never gets cut, and the outside of the cut-out portion gets glued down to it.  The other piece is cut-out using a scroll saw (or, if you want to take the time, a coping saw), in as large a grouping of pieces as wanted.  I used non-toxic felt markers to color the ones I'd made in the past, and then you could find a non-toxic clear varnish to finalize them.  The pieces you do up where you paint the design onto a full sheet and then cut the full sheet would have to be painted a bit differently, as you won't have a lot of background to glue down to the uncut piece, and you might want more vivid colors.

      I will also be doing up a Noah's Ark puzzle this week (I have the animals part, but need to design the ark to go around them.

      Hope this helps some of you who want to help with this project get started.  I will gladly put up more ideas as I get them.  I was thinking maybe making a free-standing horse with a removable knight might also be a cool toy for a small child in the SCA.

      Shire of Narrental (Peru, Indiana)  http://narrental.home.comcast.net
      Middle Kingdom

      The problem is that we aim too low and hit the mark."  -- Michaelangelo

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 7, 2005

        Do we know any specific woodworkers in the disaster zone?

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 8, 2005
          Hello All...
          Yes, in-between searching for gas, food, water and having plenty of mosquitoes, trees on the roof and property, no phones and no electricity, I've be forced to return to the 16th century and carving my wood.
          Otherwise, here in Hattiesburg, MS... 60 miles North of the coast, we have to be thankful we have our lives, many do not!

          Anthony Lok
          aka: Karl Von Zoeller
          lokanthony@...