Toy box safety features

  • Brian Tychonski
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 5, 2005
      Why not use one of the anti closing devices used on non period chests? It's not like the safety catch is going to show. It's hidden inside the box and consists of an angled steel rod and a plastic O-ring like device that controls the rate at which the rod passes through it. For that matter a wooden clamp arrangement that you can adjust the tension on with a screw would work as well.

      As for the air holes, is there anyone here whose parents didn't keep their toy box against a wall or in a corner? why not simply drill a few holes in the BACK where they're probably going to be up against a wall and not seen anyway? Cover them with some fabric on the inside if you don't want anything falling out through them.

      Just my two cents worth,

      Brian Broadaxe
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2005

        Actually, that’s exactly what I’m going to do.

        Master Will

        http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 6, 2005
          If the lid has an overhanging lip, a relief can be carved or routed
          into the lid to create an air passage across the top edge of the
          box. Alternatively, a shallow notch in a top edge of the box can do
          the same, a 1/4" off of the back edge between the hinges will also
          prevent an air lock.

          Eirikr Mjoksiglandi
          Ulfsvikings, Barony of Angels, Caid

          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@p...>
          wrote:
          > Actually, that's exactly what I'm going to do.
          >
          > Master Will
          > http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

          Tychonski