Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Toybox Co-ordination

  • Helen Schultz
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 5, 2005
      Conal:

      Claus and Megan are getting ready to head back to England on the 12th.  I've been in contact with him since Pennsic, as I promised him a puzzle pattern in exchange for being allowed to take photos of his toys.  His contact is through Earthlink, and he has Spam blocker, so anyone who writes to him must wait a day or two after sending a confirmation reply to the automated Spam notice.  He picks up his e-mail while in England using his cell phone.

      His e-mail is:  ozmagic AT earthlink DOT net  (it is with his mundane name, Dennis Anfuso).

      I can at least let him know what we are doing and see if he has any further suggestions, however.

      Shire of Narrental (Peru, Indiana)  http://narrental.home.comcast.net
      Middle Kingdom

      The problem is that we aim too low and hit the mark."  -- Michaelangelo

      If you make more
      > period toys than are needed for this project, all I
      > ask is that you don't
      > try to sell them at Pennsic, as I got them from
      > Claus the Toymaker with the
      > promise that I wouldn't become a competitor.

      Anyone have contact info for Claus? We could contact
      him and ask him for advice for this project.

      And I agree no competition comes from this project.

    • Lew Newby
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 5, 2005
        And this is where the story of Santa Claus and his elves becomes a
        reality. Make toys, make toys, make LOTS of toys, make so many toys that
        we need a truck and trailer to haul them.

        I'll make toys and more toys and more toys.

        Farin

        Bill McNutt wrote:

        > If we over-fill the box I'm making I'll make sure the remainder go to
        > other SCA youngsters who have been displaced.
        >
        > Master Will
        > http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

        Lew Newby Jr.
        dragon@...
        ****** Draco Aliquando Vincent ******
        (At some time the dragon shall conquer)
      • Robert
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 5, 2005
          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Lew Newby <gideon@n...>
          wrote:
          > And this is where the story of Santa Claus and his elves becomes a
          > reality. Make toys, make toys, make LOTS of toys, make so many
          >toys that we need a truck and trailer to haul them.
          >
          > I'll make toys and more toys and more toys.
          >
          > Farin
          >
          > Bill McNutt wrote:
          >
          > > If we over-fill the box I'm making I'll make sure the remainder
          go to
          > > other SCA youngsters who have been displaced.
          > >
          > > Master Will
          > > http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

          (Snip)
          > >If you make more period toys than are needed for this project,
          all I ask is that you
          > > don't
          > > try to sell them at Pennsic, as I got them from Claus the
          Toymaker with
          > > the
          > > promise that I wouldn't become a competitor.> >

          Count me in on this project as well -- always happy to help out, and
          if it makes some children happy at the same time, I'm all for it!
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 5, 2005
            I've got a building to store them in between now and late November when
            they'll get shipped. If necessary, I'll haul them myself.

            Master Will
            http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 6, 2005
              I just got word from Claus the Toymaker that many of his toy designs are not is own, and he doesn't have the time to contact their originators before he leaves for England.  I have asked him which toys were his own design, but other than that, we will have to rely on our own creativity and a few scans of books on wooden toys I've found.  I have, in the past, made some really nice wooden jigsaw puzzles out of 1/4" birch plywood (you could do it with solid wood, as well, if you can get it wide enough), by using a child's coloring book for inspiration.  Some of the puzzles at Claus' booth were similarly done, so we could probably do that sort of thing as long as it doesn't duplicate his work (he had a castle, a knight, and a dragon)... I've found some clip art pictures that would make up into wonderful wooden jigsaw puzzles -- a king, a queen, a pirate head, a couple dragons, a couple jesters, etc.  I will also be posting the pattern for a wonderful unicorn free-standing jigsaw puzzle I made years and years ago out of a 2" x 6" and a Noah's Ark (sans ark, sadly) animal grouping I made from a 1" x 12".  Claus said he has been donating money at local events in New Hampshire, but most of his toys are stored at Pennsic, so he can't help us here.  He and Megan spend most of the time between Pennsics in England now, they have a barge there.

              The books I have are fairly old, and may not be on the market anymore...  but, here is the info I have on them:

              "The Art of Making Wooden Toys," by Peter Stevenson.   ISBN:  0-8019-5604-8.  Published by Chilton Book Company, 1975.  This book has mostly mundane toys in it, but it does have a nice sword and shield pattern and instructions.

              "Handcrafted Wooden Toys," by Ralph Buckland.  ISBN:  0-8069-6456-1.  Published by Sterling Publishing Co, 1987.  Again, mostly mundane toys, but does have some great jigsaw puzzles of all sorts of carpenter tools <wicked grin>... I've scanned them and will be putting them up soon.

              "Easy-to-Make Old-Fashioned Toys," by Eugene F. Provenzo, Jr., adn Asterie Baker Provenzo.  ISBN:  0-486-25058-7.  Published by Dover, 1989.  Not many wooden toys, but several paper ones that could be adapted to wood, like Jumping Jacks, Jacob's Ladder (well, that one is mostly wood already), and paper wrestlers based off a Medieval manuscript of two teens playing with fighting knights attached to ropes across a table.  I'll scan this one as well.

              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 6, 2005

                Remember,

                All toys should have a non-toxic finish and be suitable for a 1 – 2 year old.  Large enough so that one doesn’t choke if one puts it in one’s mouth.  Light enough so that if one hurls it at one’s parent, no significant blood-letting occurs.

                I know that some folks are feeling very ambitious, but I’m holding out for once small project.  Once Harry’s toybox is filled, I’ll be willing to head up something more ambitious.

                Bill McNutt

                IT Administrator, UT Center for Literacy Studies

                http://cls.coe.utk.edu

                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 6, 2005
                  Not a problem on the non-toxic thing... and most of these jigsaw puzzles are VERY simple in design.  The more involved toys can be done later for other children.

                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 8, 2005
                    I think we still have some viking horses and wooden ducks that my wife worked on for an auction last winter. If so we will be sending them for the toy chest.

                    Ivan Kosinski
                    College of Brymstonne
                    Atenveldt

                    MKA Rob Lewis

                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 8, 2005

                      Okay; it looks like some folks are getting to where they are almost ready to send items.

                      Remember:  all toys should be made of non-toxic materials.  (No oleander turnings, please!)

                      All toys should have a non-toxic finish/filling, as appropriate.

                      All toys should be suitable for a 1 – 2 year old.

                      All toys should be large enough so that they are not a choke hazard.

                      Any purchased toys should be new, not used.

                      Ship to

                      Bill McNutt

                      603 Augusta Ave

                      Knoxville, TN 37920

                      Include your e-mail address; I will verify delivery via e-mail.

                      Thanks for your help,