Wooden chest question WAS Re: OT Re: [MedievalSawdust] Updated information re Gleann Abhann corronation and needs

  • Sharon Gordon
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2005
      >Anybody up for coordinating a toybox to relieve her mind? I'll build
      the box if you guys will fill it. Harry will be between 1 and 2 years
      old when Christmas rolls around, so it needn't by anything complicated.
      She's an apprentice, so I'm sure she'll appreciate period toys, but they
      don't have to be.

      ***Cool idea! Maybe somebody could check her son's age, but I was thinking
      he is now two months old. But it seems to me that toys could be for several
      ages so they could be things he could enjoy for a longer time.

      ***I've been wanting to ask a question about hiding modern safety features
      and locks in chests. Two of the modern safety features for chests are
      hinges that prevent the lid from falling shut and airholes that keep
      children from dieing of lack of air if they decide to hide in a wooden chest
      or someone shoves them in one and shuts the lid. Has anyone come up with a
      good way to disguise these features so the chest still looks period? And
      does anyone have a suggestion for hiding good quality modern locks on an
      otherwise period camping chest?

      Sharon
      gordonse@...
    • davidgiles.rm
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2005
        as to hiding a lock on a chest ,how about a button release attached
        by a rod to a spring loaded lock ,the botton can be hidden by
        decorative carving or brass ornamentation . hope this helps
        David

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon Gordon"