Updated information re Gleann Abhann corronation and needs

  • Sharon Gordon
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 2, 2005
      From info posted to SCA-911 list

      Baron Goetz is donating his very elaborate mahogany throne to Gleann Abhann
      and challenges other groups to donate another throne.

      ***************************************
      I reposted this letter in my LiveJournal community sca_crisisplans. I hope
      that this will lead to more people seeing it.

      Gwenhwyfar of the Lakes
      mka Jennifer Beard.

      On 9/2/05, Vallawulf Rurikson <vallawulf@...> wrote:
      Hello, all. Please cross-post as you can.

      I spoke with HRH Bri and Ariadne this morning. With Bri's permission,
      we have a coordinated group now to provide materials for Gleann
      Abhann's first coronation.

      If you are interested in donating garb, banners, tokens, favors,
      feast gear, camping equipment, thrones, crowns, scrolls, items for
      largesse, anything I forgot, and other items of necessity for
      coronation for The Heirs, Their Excellencies of Axemoor and Seleone
      and their populace, please contact Lord Vallawulf Rurikson at:
      vallawulf AT aol DOT com or call me at 480 833 0139. Also post to the
      SCA-911 and SCA-Disaster Yahoo Groups, please.

      We are trying to coordinate all this so efforts are not duplicated.
      This is a Herculean effort and all of your offers of help are greatly
      appreciated.

      Meanwhile, TRHs of Meridies Boru and Deirdre's coronation has been
      moved to the Shire of Solhaven, 9/9-11/05 (A.H. Stephens Memorial
      Park in Crawfordville, Georgia). For more information, see:
      http://www.solhaven.com/coronation/c-flyer.htm

      TRMs Maximilian and Lethrenn have a web page up now for relief
      efforts at:
      http://maxandlethrenn.org/hurricane_relief/

      TO DONATE RELIEF GOODS (i.e., immediate needs such as toiletries,
      canned foods, bottled water, propane, stoves, cooking gear, clothing,
      deodorant, toothbrushes, toothpaste, feminine hygiene products,
      diapers, pet food, socks, shoes, shirts, pants, underclothing,
      blankets, cots, sleeping bags, soap, mouthwash, dental floss, razors,
      gift cards to Target, Wal-Mart, Kmart, etc., etc.)

      Baron Borgar the Bright
      mka Travis Newberry
      3466 Old Sutton Way
      Marietta, GA 30062

      Lady Ankara
      mka Valerie Fleig
      1957 Loyd Street
      Pearl, MS 39208

      LONG-TERM ITEMS:

      Master Erik of Telemark
      irongld@...

      Bri, Ariadne, Ankara, Gwen...everyone I've spoken to in the affected
      areas sends their HEARTFELT and DEEPEST thanks and awe at the
      outpouring of support. They tell me they do not have the words to
      express their gratitude for what you are all doing. I reminded them
      that no thanks are necessary and that the words were, "Can you help
      us find..." and "We are in need of..."

      In reverse, I would like to express my extreme admiration for TRMs
      Maximilian and Lethrenn, TRHs Boru and Deirdre, TRHs Radu and Bri,
      Mistress Gwen, Master Erik, Borgar, Ariadne, Ankara, Colin, Master
      Iustinos and everyone else who is coordinating this incredible relief
      effort.

      Suddenly our game is not a game, but a network of support in a life-
      and-death situation. Their Majesties, Highnesses and the greater
      officers are being turned to by Their populace and by those of us who
      want to help and are responding as true monarchs in real countries
      would to help their populace. Their efforts have been outstanding and
      unflagging and it is a shining example of chivalry, grace and
      noblisse oblige. Their officers have responded likewise, and also
      members of the populace too numerous to name.

      Also to all of you beyond the borders of Gleann Abhann and Meridies
      who are extending your hands and your hearts. I am brought to tears
      often reading your posts and hearing from you and hearing about and
      receiving your donations and offers of money, items, labor and good
      wishes for our brothers and sisters in the south.

      You are all truly heroic and insane and wonderful and giving and
      generous and loving. What a wonderful family and society we have
      created amongst ourselves!

      Yours, in service to the dreams of many,
      Vallawulf
    • Lew Newby
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 2, 2005
        Well enough said I guess. My ideas and offers have been trumped. No
        sense in duplicating the efforts. Anyone and everyone that contacted me
        offering to join in please contact Lord Vallawulf Rurikson as listed in
        the included message.

        Back to our regularly scheduled program of "What twist to use in a nail
        for period construction"

        Lew Newby Jr.
        dragon@...
        ****** Draco Aliquando Vincent ******
        (At some time the dragon shall conquer)
      • Sharon Gordon
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 3, 2005

          Well enough said I guess. My ideas and offers have been trumped. No
          sense in duplicating the efforts. Anyone and everyone that contacted me
          offering to join in please contact Lord Vallawulf Rurikson as listed in
          the included message.

          Back to our regularly scheduled program of "What twist to use in a nail
          for period construction"

          ***I think that Medieval Sawdust could still do some of the projects as a
          group. The advantage of knowing about Vallawulf Rurikson vallawulf@...
          coordinating with the heirs is that MedievalSawdust can take on a project
          that is still open. And lots of other SCAdians will need help as well
          replacing chests, tables, chairs and all sorts of soft furnishings. The
          database for that is still under construction, and I can forward info when
          it gets ready.

          Sharon
          gordonse@...
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 3, 2005
            Good gentles,
            I was in communication with Princess Bri yesterday. She said that she
            and Moose were personally in fair shape. They had the resources they
            need to meet their short term, live for today, this week, this month
            needs. The house has been under eight feet of water, as well as the
            truck, and are expected to be total losses. But all of that is just
            another problem to be solved.

            The incipient kingdom regalia is drenched, scattered, and lost. But all
            of that is being taken care of one way or another already.

            You know what's preying on her mind? Where her WORRIES are? She has a
            newborn and she's afraid that the only gift he'll get for Christmas is a
            place to live.

            Anybody up for coordinating a toybox to relieve her mind? I'll build
            the box if you guys will fill it. Harry will be between 1 and 2 years
            old when Christmas rolls around, so it needn't by anything complicated.
            She's an apprentice, so I'm sure she'll appreciate period toys, but they
            don't have to be.

            How's that sound? I know it's not heroic, but it'll make her feel
            better.

            Master Will
            http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Helen Schultz
            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 3, 2005
              Master Will:

              I got some great ideas for wooden toys this year at Pennsic (thanks to Claus the Toymaker), so will gladly make up several wooden toys commensurate for a 2-year old to play with (not to mention I have a wonderful book that tells how to make mundane ones, as well).  I can make one or two soft toys, as I also sew.

              Shire of Narrental (Peru, Indiana)  http://narrental.home.comcast.net
              Middle Kingdom

              The problem is that we aim too low and hit the mark."  -- Michaelangelo

[...]

            • Christopher L. Janoch
              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 3, 2005
                Count on me for a handmade addition as well!!  ;-)

                -- Rhydderch

                On 9/3/2005, Helen Schultz said...
[...]

                Medieval and renaissance costume Medieval times Medieval time dinner and tournament

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              • Helen Schultz
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 3, 2005
                  Hey, Rhydderch... shall we coordinate with each other, then??  You can contact me at helen.schultz@... if you want to.  Anyone have an idea of our target completion date??  Before Christmas, I know, but is there a better date than that??

                  Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2005 1:17 PM
                  Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Toybox Co-ordination

                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 3, 2005

                    Let me check the Principality and Kingdom calendars and get back to you.  You can ship the toys here and I’ll take the completed box and meet Moose and Bri at an event.

                    Master Will

                    http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                    Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2005 1:17 PM

                    Count on me for a handmade addition as well!!  ;-)

                    -- Rhydderch

                  • msgilliandurham
                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 3, 2005
                      I strongly suspect this will be an issue for many parents, and not only
                      SCA ones. Perhaps "toys for tots" drives (either handmade or
                      storebought) at some events closer to the holidays, might be in order?

                      The holidays are a time to look back and see the past, and unhappily be
                      reminded of all one has lost -- so this Christmas is going to be tough for
                      a lot of people.

                      Maybe some Christmas tree ornaments, menoras (sp?) etc., as well?

                      YIS, Gillian

                      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Helen Schultz"
                      [...]
                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 4, 2005
                        ---------------------------------
                        Count on me for a handmade addition as well!! ;-)

                        -- Rhydderch

                        Can anyone throw up a website on period and modern
                        toy pictues and plans? I haven't done any research
                        in that direction.

                        Donations of toys might be good also.

                        This actually sounds like a great way to help the
                        the children.

                        An SCA version of toys for tots.....

                        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                      • Craig Robert Pierpont
                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 4, 2005
                        • Arthur Slaughter
                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 4, 2005
                            As Gran used to say" In for a penny , in for a pound" If someone has toy
                            patterns I am game! Kids are our future! and who knows maybe some day
                            those kids will be helping others in need because we helped them.!
                            THL Finn mac Art

                            >From: Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@...>
                            >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                            >Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Toybox Co-ordination
                            >Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 04:27:43 -0700 (PDT)
                            >

                            >---------------------------------
                            >Count on me for a handmade addition as well!! ;-)
                            >
                            >-- Rhydderch
                            >
                            >Can anyone throw up a website on period and modern
                            >toy pictues and plans? I haven't done any research
                            >in that direction.
                            >
                            >Donations of toys might be good also.
                            >
                            >This actually sounds like a great way to help the
                            >the children.
                            >
                            >An SCA version of toys for tots.....
                            >
                            >Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                            >
                            > Aude Aliquid Dignum
                            > ' Dare Something Worthy '

                            >Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page
                            >http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

                          • Helen Schultz
                            Message 13 of 27 , Sep 4, 2005
                              I'll scan a few of the mundane patterns tomorrow, and put them and the
                              photos of stuff I saw at Pennsic up on the Group site. If you make more
                              period toys than are needed for this project, all I ask is that you don't
                              try to sell them at Pennsic, as I got them from Claus the Toymaker with the
                              promise that I wouldn't become a competitor.

                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 4, 2005
                                If we over-fill the box I'm making I'll make sure the remainder go to
                                other SCA youngsters who have been displaced.

                                Master Will
                                http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                                Message 15 of 27 , Sep 4, 2005
                                  Thank you, and agreed on not selling them at Pennsic. I am a merchant myself
                                  and wouldn't even think of competing with another unfairly.
                                  THL Finn

                                  >From: "Helen Schultz" <helen.schultz@...>
                                  >To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
                                  >Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Toybox Co-ordination
                                  >Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 22:37:37 -0500
                                  >
                                  >I'll scan a few of the mundane patterns tomorrow, and put them and the
                                  >photos of stuff I saw at Pennsic up on the Group site. If you make more
                                  >period toys than are needed for this project, all I ask is that you don't
                                  >try to sell them at Pennsic, as I got them from Claus the Toymaker with the
                                  >promise that I wouldn't become a competitor.
                                  >
                                  >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                  >Meisterin Katarina Helene von Sch�nborn, OL
                                  >Shire of Narrental (Peru, Indiana) http://narrental.home.comcast.net
                                  >Middle Kingdom
                                  >http://meisterin.katarina.home.comcast.net
                                  >
                                  >"A room without books is like a body without a soul." -- Cicero
                                  >
                                  >"The danger in life is not that we aim too high and miss.
                                  >The problem is that we aim too low and hit the mark." -- Michaelangelo
                                  >
                                  >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                                • Arthur Slaughter
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Sep 5, 2005
                                    Master Will! I am in hopes to someday shake your hand in person! I love
                                    kids, and am not yet past the in between stage of my life. The one betwen
                                    kids t home and grandkids to spoil. So I am thrilled to see ANY child get
                                    something to replace lost treasures!
                                    THL Finn

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Sep 5, 2005
                                      If you make more
                                      > period toys than are needed for this project, all I
                                      > ask is that you don't
                                      > try to sell them at Pennsic, as I got them from
                                      > Claus the Toymaker with the
                                      > promise that I wouldn't become a competitor.

                                      Anyone have contact info for Claus? We could contact
                                      him and ask him for advice for this project.

                                      And I agree no competition comes from this project.

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Sep 5, 2005
                                        > >If we over-fill the box I'm making I'll make sure
                                        > the remainder go to
                                        > >other SCA youngsters who have been displaced.

                                        I hope we can overfill a dozen boxes.

                                        Let's extend this project as far as we can.

                                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                                      • Helen Schultz
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Sep 5, 2005
                                          Conal:

                                          Claus and Megan are getting ready to head back to England on the 12th.  I've been in contact with him since Pennsic, as I promised him a puzzle pattern in exchange for being allowed to take photos of his toys.  His contact is through Earthlink, and he has Spam blocker, so anyone who writes to him must wait a day or two after sending a confirmation reply to the automated Spam notice.  He picks up his e-mail while in England using his cell phone.

                                          His e-mail is:  ozmagic AT earthlink DOT net  (it is with his mundane name, Dennis Anfuso).

                                          I can at least let him know what we are doing and see if he has any further suggestions, however.

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Sep 5, 2005
                                            And this is where the story of Santa Claus and his elves becomes a
                                            reality. Make toys, make toys, make LOTS of toys, make so many toys that
                                            we need a truck and trailer to haul them.

                                            I'll make toys and more toys and more toys.

                                            Farin

                                          • Robert
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Sep 5, 2005
                                              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Lew Newby <gideon@n...>
                                              wrote:
                                              > And this is where the story of Santa Claus and his elves becomes a
                                              > reality. Make toys, make toys, make LOTS of toys, make so many
                                              >toys that we need a truck and trailer to haul them.
                                              >
                                              > I'll make toys and more toys and more toys.
                                              >
                                              > Farin
                                              >
                                              > Bill McNutt wrote:
                                              >
                                              > > If we over-fill the box I'm making I'll make sure the remainder
                                              go to
                                              > > other SCA youngsters who have been displaced.
                                              > >
                                              > > Master Will
                                              > > http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                                              (Snip)
                                              > >If you make more period toys than are needed for this project,
                                              all I ask is that you
                                              > > don't
                                              > > try to sell them at Pennsic, as I got them from Claus the
                                              Toymaker with
                                              > > the
                                              > > promise that I wouldn't become a competitor.> >

                                              Count me in on this project as well -- always happy to help out, and
                                              if it makes some children happy at the same time, I'm all for it!
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Sep 5, 2005
                                                I've got a building to store them in between now and late November when
                                                they'll get shipped. If necessary, I'll haul them myself.

                                                Master Will
                                                http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Sep 6, 2005
                                                  I just got word from Claus the Toymaker that many of his toy designs are not is own, and he doesn't have the time to contact their originators before he leaves for England.  I have asked him which toys were his own design, but other than that, we will have to rely on our own creativity and a few scans of books on wooden toys I've found.  I have, in the past, made some really nice wooden jigsaw puzzles out of 1/4" birch plywood (you could do it with solid wood, as well, if you can get it wide enough), by using a child's coloring book for inspiration.  Some of the puzzles at Claus' booth were similarly done, so we could probably do that sort of thing as long as it doesn't duplicate his work (he had a castle, a knight, and a dragon)... I've found some clip art pictures that would make up into wonderful wooden jigsaw puzzles -- a king, a queen, a pirate head, a couple dragons, a couple jesters, etc.  I will also be posting the pattern for a wonderful unicorn free-standing jigsaw puzzle I made years and years ago out of a 2" x 6" and a Noah's Ark (sans ark, sadly) animal grouping I made from a 1" x 12".  Claus said he has been donating money at local events in New Hampshire, but most of his toys are stored at Pennsic, so he can't help us here.  He and Megan spend most of the time between Pennsics in England now, they have a barge there.

                                                  The books I have are fairly old, and may not be on the market anymore...  but, here is the info I have on them:

                                                  "The Art of Making Wooden Toys," by Peter Stevenson.   ISBN:  0-8019-5604-8.  Published by Chilton Book Company, 1975.  This book has mostly mundane toys in it, but it does have a nice sword and shield pattern and instructions.

                                                  "Handcrafted Wooden Toys," by Ralph Buckland.  ISBN:  0-8069-6456-1.  Published by Sterling Publishing Co, 1987.  Again, mostly mundane toys, but does have some great jigsaw puzzles of all sorts of carpenter tools <wicked grin>... I've scanned them and will be putting them up soon.

                                                  "Easy-to-Make Old-Fashioned Toys," by Eugene F. Provenzo, Jr., adn Asterie Baker Provenzo.  ISBN:  0-486-25058-7.  Published by Dover, 1989.  Not many wooden toys, but several paper ones that could be adapted to wood, like Jumping Jacks, Jacob's Ladder (well, that one is mostly wood already), and paper wrestlers based off a Medieval manuscript of two teens playing with fighting knights attached to ropes across a table.  I'll scan this one as well.

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Sep 6, 2005

                                                    Remember,

                                                    All toys should have a non-toxic finish and be suitable for a 1 – 2 year old.  Large enough so that one doesn’t choke if one puts it in one’s mouth.  Light enough so that if one hurls it at one’s parent, no significant blood-letting occurs.

                                                    I know that some folks are feeling very ambitious, but I’m holding out for once small project.  Once Harry’s toybox is filled, I’ll be willing to head up something more ambitious.

                                                    Bill McNutt

                                                    IT Administrator, UT Center for Literacy Studies

                                                    http://cls.coe.utk.edu

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Sep 6, 2005
                                                      Not a problem on the non-toxic thing... and most of these jigsaw puzzles are VERY simple in design.  The more involved toys can be done later for other children.

                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Sep 8, 2005
                                                        I think we still have some viking horses and wooden ducks that my wife worked on for an auction last winter. If so we will be sending them for the toy chest.

                                                        Ivan Kosinski
                                                        College of Brymstonne
                                                        Atenveldt

                                                        MKA Rob Lewis

                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Sep 8, 2005

                                                          Okay; it looks like some folks are getting to where they are almost ready to send items.

                                                          Remember:  all toys should be made of non-toxic materials.  (No oleander turnings, please!)

                                                          All toys should have a non-toxic finish/filling, as appropriate.

                                                          All toys should be suitable for a 1 – 2 year old.

                                                          All toys should be large enough so that they are not a choke hazard.

                                                          Any purchased toys should be new, not used.

                                                          Ship to

                                                          Bill McNutt

                                                          603 Augusta Ave

                                                          Knoxville, TN 37920

                                                          Include your e-mail address; I will verify delivery via e-mail.

                                                          Thanks for your help,