OT: Better things to do?

  • Kristoffer Berglind
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2005
      Allright i'am sorry if i was a bit hartless in my last letter. Its easy
      to sit on the other end of the earth and have a emotional distance to
      the disaster. (just as easy as starting a war in a country on the other
      end of the earth)

      Hope you can come together and use your talents to help the victims!
      Whatever way you choose to do it.

      /Kristoffer

      iasmin@... wrote:

      While I agree the comments have been OT in that they have not discussed specific medieval woodworking projects, sources, or projects might I also point out the YahooGroups introductory information you failed to quote:

      "This group's members will probably be primarily members of the Society for Creative Anachronism but anyone can ask to join. "

      As such, any tragedy affecting members of an organization from which the majority of a list's membership derives is bound to be a topic of interest. The request to label the convos OT isn't unreasonable. I'm sure. however, that many list members might read the request as written as cold or even lacking in sensitivity due to its unfortunate wording and timing in the midst of the horror and devasation the United States is experiencing.

      Regrettfully,

      Iasmin
    • Lew Newby
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2005
        Howdy also,
        As being the original poster, I actually don't have a major issue
        with the questions being asked. As you saw in a later post I have an
        answer and I have thought about this a great deal and discussed it with
        my lady prior to saying anything. I believe what I am doing is needed
        and from what I have heard so far it is appreciated and wanted.

        As for this being off topic to the group, yes the initial post was off
        topic to the purpose of the group but it is a catalyst for like minds to
        work on something that is on topic for the group and to generate ideas
        on how to eventually display pictures, share ideas and resources on
        making Medieval reproductions and in some cases an SCA oriented version
        of those reproductions to accommodate the situation AND the needs of
        those impacted.

        I absolutely do not take any offense to being questioned on the
        allocation of resources or the need, I have thought about it a LOT and
        have seen the emotional impact of disasters on people multiple times and
        would like to help with that part of the recovery.

        Farin

        Michael Houghton wrote:

        > Howdy!
        >
        > On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 12:18:38PM -0400, Broom wrote:
        > > To anyone thinking of posting a "Why are you doing X when you could be
        > > doing Y?" reply to Master Ian's project idea ("Helping Gleann Abhann
        > > Regalia"), may I gently ask...
        > >
        > > How dare you?
        >
        > Quite easily, thank you. If he is soliciting others to join in this
        > project, it makes questions along those lines quite germane.
        > >
        > > He's thought of a way to help out. There may be more generous, more
        > > needful, or even more important ways to help - but does that warrant
        > > criticism?
        >
        > It does not get a free pass from reasoned scrutiny. Perhaps the energy
        > could be better put to another use. I don't see how it is, per se,
        > wrong to ask the question.
        > >
        > > Why are you wasting time typing that criticism, when instead you
        > > yourself could be doing something /useful/ for the victims? As he is!
        >
        > Shame on you. That argument doesn't wash. You assume that the proposed
        > activities will actually be useful. They may; they might not. It's not
        > a waste of time to ask that question before making sawdust.
        >
        > yours,
        > Herveus
        > --
        > Michael and MJ Houghton | Herveus d'Ormonde and Megan O'Donnelly
        > herveus@... | White Wolf and the Phoenix
        > Bowie, MD, USA | Tablet and Inkle bands, and other stuff
        > | http://www.radix.net/~herveus/wwap/
        > <http://www.radix.net/%7Eherveus/wwap/>

        > Medieval and renaissance costume
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w1=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w2=Medieval+times&w3=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&c=3&s=99&.sig=HXP-uWkNkVN70w_alkMyyQ>
        > Medieval times
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Medieval+times&w1=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w2=Medieval+times&w3=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&c=3&s=99&.sig=4F-IezHhWKE2LTFcS5Czmw>
        > Medieval time dinner and tournament
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&w1=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w2=Medieval+times&w3=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&c=3&s=99&.sig=GNRomoKKUBV7_ePBIuwSDA>

        Lew Newby Jr.
        dragon@...
        ****** Draco Aliquando Vincent ******
        (At some time the dragon shall conquer)
      • Broom
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 6, 2005
          Mea culpa.

          One too many lists, with one too many emails on what the best course
          of action is, and I lost my cool.

          My apologies for my outburst.

          ' | Broom IamBroom @ gmail . com
          ' | cellphone: 412-389-1997
          '\|/ 30 Huston Rd, Oakmont PA 15139
          '/|\ "Discere et docere", which means:
          //|\\ "Remember: Death Stars don't kill planets, ..."