Better things to do?

  • Broom
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2005
      To anyone thinking of posting a "Why are you doing X when you could be
      doing Y?" reply to Master Ian's project idea ("Helping Gleann Abhann
      Regalia"), may I gently ask...

      How dare you?

      He's thought of a way to help out. There may be more generous, more
      needful, or even more important ways to help - but does that warrant
      criticism?

      Why are you wasting time typing that criticism, when instead you
      yourself could be doing something /useful/ for the victims? As he is!

      Kudos to Farin.

      I'm in.

      ' | Broom IamBroom @ gmail . com
      ' | cellphone: 412-389-1997
      '\|/ 30 Huston Rd, Oakmont PA 15139
      '/|\ "Discere et docere", which means:
      //|\\ "Aphorisms"
    • Kristoffer Berglind
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2005

        Broom wrote:
        To anyone thinking of posting a "Why are you doing X when you could be
        doing Y?" reply to Master Ian's project idea ("Helping Gleann Abhann
        Regalia"), may I gently ask...

              How dare you?
        I signed up to this list because it was
        "
        A group for the discussion of Medieval woodworking techniques and for display of pictures, drawings, articles and photos of ideas or resources."

        Sorry to say it but i suppose there are more than me thinking the same thing. I live in sweden (north europe) and can't say i'am very interested to read about your disaster even if it very tragic.

        Please at least mark the messages OT so they can be sorted easier.

        Regards
        Kristoffer

      • Michael Houghton
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2005
          Howdy!

          On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 12:18:38PM -0400, Broom wrote:
          > To anyone thinking of posting a "Why are you doing X when you could be
          > doing Y?" reply to Master Ian's project idea ("Helping Gleann Abhann
          > Regalia"), may I gently ask...
          >
          > How dare you?

          Quite easily, thank you. If he is soliciting others to join in this
          project, it makes questions along those lines quite germane.

          > He's thought of a way to help out. There may be more generous, more
          > needful, or even more important ways to help - but does that warrant
          > criticism?

          It does not get a free pass from reasoned scrutiny. Perhaps the energy
          could be better put to another use. I don't see how it is, per se,
          wrong to ask the question.

          > Why are you wasting time typing that criticism, when instead you
          > yourself could be doing something /useful/ for the victims? As he is!

          Shame on you. That argument doesn't wash. You assume that the proposed
          activities will actually be useful. They may; they might not. It's not
          a waste of time to ask that question before making sawdust.

          yours,
          Herveus
          herveus@... | White Wolf and the Phoenix
          Bowie, MD, USA | Tablet and Inkle bands, and other stuff
          | http://www.radix.net/~herveus/wwap/
        • Kristoffer Berglind
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 2, 2005
            Allright i'am sorry if i was a bit hartless in my last letter. Its easy
            to sit on the other end of the earth and have a emotional distance to
            the disaster. (just as easy as starting a war in a country on the other
            end of the earth)

            Hope you can come together and use your talents to help the victims!
            Whatever way you choose to do it.

            /Kristoffer

            iasmin@... wrote:

            While I agree the comments have been OT in that they have not discussed specific medieval woodworking projects, sources, or projects might I also point out the YahooGroups introductory information you failed to quote:

            "This group's members will probably be primarily members of the Society for Creative Anachronism but anyone can ask to join. "

            As such, any tragedy affecting members of an organization from which the majority of a list's membership derives is bound to be a topic of interest. The request to label the convos OT isn't unreasonable. I'm sure. however, that many list members might read the request as written as cold or even lacking in sensitivity due to its unfortunate wording and timing in the midst of the horror and devasation the United States is experiencing.

            Regrettfully,

            Iasmin
          • Lew Newby
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 2, 2005
              Howdy also,
              As being the original poster, I actually don't have a major issue
              with the questions being asked. As you saw in a later post I have an
              answer and I have thought about this a great deal and discussed it with
              my lady prior to saying anything. I believe what I am doing is needed
              and from what I have heard so far it is appreciated and wanted.

              As for this being off topic to the group, yes the initial post was off
              topic to the purpose of the group but it is a catalyst for like minds to
              work on something that is on topic for the group and to generate ideas
              on how to eventually display pictures, share ideas and resources on
              making Medieval reproductions and in some cases an SCA oriented version
              of those reproductions to accommodate the situation AND the needs of
              those impacted.

              I absolutely do not take any offense to being questioned on the
              allocation of resources or the need, I have thought about it a LOT and
              have seen the emotional impact of disasters on people multiple times and
              would like to help with that part of the recovery.

              Farin

              Michael Houghton wrote:

              > Howdy!
              >
              > On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 12:18:38PM -0400, Broom wrote:
              > > To anyone thinking of posting a "Why are you doing X when you could be
              > > doing Y?" reply to Master Ian's project idea ("Helping Gleann Abhann
              > > Regalia"), may I gently ask...
              > >
              > > How dare you?
              >
              > Quite easily, thank you. If he is soliciting others to join in this
              > project, it makes questions along those lines quite germane.
              > >
              > > He's thought of a way to help out. There may be more generous, more
              > > needful, or even more important ways to help - but does that warrant
              > > criticism?
              >
              > It does not get a free pass from reasoned scrutiny. Perhaps the energy
              > could be better put to another use. I don't see how it is, per se,
              > wrong to ask the question.
              > >
              > > Why are you wasting time typing that criticism, when instead you
              > > yourself could be doing something /useful/ for the victims? As he is!
              >
              > Shame on you. That argument doesn't wash. You assume that the proposed
              > activities will actually be useful. They may; they might not. It's not
              > a waste of time to ask that question before making sawdust.
              >
              > yours,
              > Herveus
              > --
              > Michael and MJ Houghton | Herveus d'Ormonde and Megan O'Donnelly
              > herveus@... | White Wolf and the Phoenix
              > Bowie, MD, USA | Tablet and Inkle bands, and other stuff
              > | http://www.radix.net/~herveus/wwap/
              > <http://www.radix.net/%7Eherveus/wwap/>

              > Medieval and renaissance costume
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w1=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w2=Medieval+times&w3=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&c=3&s=99&.sig=HXP-uWkNkVN70w_alkMyyQ>
              > Medieval times
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Medieval+times&w1=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w2=Medieval+times&w3=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&c=3&s=99&.sig=4F-IezHhWKE2LTFcS5Czmw>
              > Medieval time dinner and tournament
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&w1=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w2=Medieval+times&w3=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&c=3&s=99&.sig=GNRomoKKUBV7_ePBIuwSDA>

              Lew Newby Jr.
              dragon@...
              ****** Draco Aliquando Vincent ******
              (At some time the dragon shall conquer)
            • Broom
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 6, 2005
                Mea culpa.

                One too many lists, with one too many emails on what the best course
                of action is, and I lost my cool.

                My apologies for my outburst.

                ' | Broom IamBroom @ gmail . com
                ' | cellphone: 412-389-1997
                '\|/ 30 Huston Rd, Oakmont PA 15139
                '/|\ "Discere et docere", which means:
                //|\\ "Remember: Death Stars don't kill planets, ..."