Re: [MedievalSawdust] Helping Gleann Abhann Regalia

  • Flemish Lady
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
      I second the opinion that the emotional needs be
      addressed. Glenn Abhann is not just having a
      coronation, it is their *First Coronation*. To have
      new regalia for such an occasion, not just stuff
      cobbled together, would help the birth of this kingdom
      greatly.

      Blessings,
      Marthe Elsbeth of Oak Hill

      --- Lew Newby <gideon@...> wrote:

      > I would agree with you in some respect but there are
      > two aspects to
      > disaster relief. One is the physical, right now
      > needs and the other is
      > emotional. You can provide all the physical right
      > now needs in the world
      > but if the emotional part is not addressed then
      > everything goes for
      > naught as they lose or never gain hope for a future
      > in the very time
      > they need it.
      >
      > Providing a hope for the future is paramount in
      > recovery. Sure I can
      > provide money, even goods but like in other
      > disasters that have occurred
      > that still leaves the contributors and recipients
      > feeling helpless and
      > detached. Could I take time off from my job and
      > drive down and help with
      > the cleanup. The answer to that is no and not
      > because I couldn't get the
      > time off or that I am physically not capable. In a
      > disaster area only
      > recognized members of the proper agencies and
      > companies providing
      > cleanup efforts are allowed in. So again I am left
      > feeling helpless to
      > provide direct assistance.
      >
      > So I offer in opportunity for us to address the
      > non-tangible effect and
      > help to provide hope for a bright future and to give
      > these folks
      > something to hold onto in their hearts.
      >
      > Farin

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • Kristoffer Berglind
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
        Has anybody actually asked _them_ what _they_ want and need?

        If my home and life was destoyed my historical stuff would be among the
        last tings i worried about. Even if its cost me some money and a lot of
        time (all handmade/sewn/forged...) my real life seems a bit more important.

        Try to contact them and ask before you spend loads of time and money
        that could be used better ways.

        Dont want to be rude but this seems to be the wrong forum for this
        debate. Join SCA-backtonormal or SCA-911 instead.

        Regards
        Kristoffer

      • Flemish Lady
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
          I'm assuming that Farin is working with Master Erik of
          Telemark (relief coordinator), Mistress Gwen (the
          Meridian seneschal), and Master Stephen (Glenn Abhann
          seneschal) in coordinating what needs to be replaced,
          etc.

          Glenn Abhann's first coronation is scheduled for
          October 1. While it may be delayed, it's still coming
          a lot faster than those who have been affected can
          deal with.

          But perhaps it would be better to take this to
          SCA-backtonormal or SCA-diaster lists. We don't need
          to be duplicating efforts.

          --- Kristoffer Berglind

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
            I disagree. This group is equipped with real people with real skills and
            real tools to make real stuff. This is exactly the forum to discuss this.

            Prince Moose and Princess Bri are going on an expedition into Slidell this
            weekend to try to find their house. I wonder if they could use some extra
            hands and chainsaws?

            Master William McNaughton, CL
            http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood
            Cabinetmaker, AND Tree-Butcher

            Flemish Lady wrote:

            > I second the opinion that the emotional needs be
            > addressed. Glenn Abhann is not just having a
            > coronation, it is their *First Coronation*. To have
            > new regalia for such an occasion, not just stuff
            > cobbled together, would help the birth of this kingdom
            > greatly.
            >
            > Blessings,
            > Marthe Elsbeth of Oak Hill
            >
            > --- Lew Newby <gideon@...> wrote:
            >
            > > I would agree with you in some respect but there are
            > > two aspects to
            > > disaster relief. One is the physical, right now
            > > needs and the other is
            > > emotional. You can provide all the physical right
            > > now needs in the world
            > > but if the emotional part is not addressed then
            > > everything goes for
            > > naught as they lose or never gain hope for a future
            > > in the very time
            > > they need it.
            > >
            > > Providing a hope for the future is paramount in
            > > recovery. Sure I can
            > > provide money, even goods but like in other
            > > disasters that have occurred
            > > that still leaves the contributors and recipients
            > > feeling helpless and
            > > detached. Could I take time off from my job and
            > > drive down and help with
            > > the cleanup. The answer to that is no and not
            > > because I couldn't get the
            > > time off or that I am physically not capable. In a
            > > disaster area only
            > > recognized members of the proper agencies and
            > > companies providing
            > > cleanup efforts are allowed in. So again I am left
            > > feeling helpless to
            > > provide direct assistance.
            > >
            > > So I offer in opportunity for us to address the
            > > non-tangible effect and
            > > help to provide hope for a bright future and to give
            > > these folks
            > > something to hold onto in their hearts.
            > >
            > > Farin

            > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

          • msgilliandurham
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@p...>
              wrote:

              > Prince Moose and Princess Bri are going on an expedition into
              > Slidell this weekend to try to find their house. I wonder if they
              > could use some extra hands and chainsaws?
              >
              > Master William McNaughton, CL

              Certainly not having to face the devestation alone would be a big
              help, and it's thoughtful of you to want to help, but they may
              already have that moral and physical support from someone closer
              geographically.

              Also, someone posted to the Tavern Yard? SCA-911? (I think it was
              either Master Stephen or Master Eric) that if you come down, you
              should be prepared with enough gas to get back home as well, as
              every rare drop available is needed on site.

              I'm also wondering that if gasoline supplies are as low as the
              reports, that handsaws and axes might be more to the point than
              chainsaws?

              I'm wondering if it might be more productive long term (and this is
              based on what I'm reading on other groups) of starting to put
              together mundane furniture, beds and chests and chairs and tables
              and racks for hanging clothes, to be distributed when folks have a
              place to call home again, or to be distributed to the places where
              people are living in tents and sleeping on camp cots and on sofas
              and air mattresses in other people's living rooms.

              Maybe a furniture weekend at a site in Birmingham or Atlanta is in
              order? (closer to the disaster area, less gas and less gas$$ to
              transport) Dunno what the supplies of lumber are like in those
              areas, it might be better to make the stuff locally and ship it.

              Just my thoughts -- Gillian Durham
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                The original point, however, is valid:

                We need to hear what THEY say they need, and then try to help. I'm holding
                onto my resources until I hear from Bri.

                Master William McNaughton, CL
                http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                > Prince Moose and Princess Bri are going on an expedition into
                > Slidell this weekend to try to find their house. I wonder if they
                > could use some extra hands and chainsaws?
                >
                > Master William McNaughton, CL

                Certainly not having to face the devestation alone would be a big
                help, and it's thoughtful of you to want to help, but they may
                already have that moral and physical support from someone closer
                geographically.

                Also, someone posted to the Tavern Yard? SCA-911? (I think it was
                either Master Stephen or Master Eric) that if you come down, you
                should be prepared with enough gas to get back home as well, as
                every rare drop available is needed on site.

                I'm also wondering that if gasoline supplies are as low as the
                reports, that handsaws and axes might be more to the point than
                chainsaws?

                I'm wondering if it might be more productive long term (and this is
                based on what I'm reading on other groups) of starting to put
                together mundane furniture, beds and chests and chairs and tables
                and racks for hanging clothes, to be distributed when folks have a
                place to call home again, or to be distributed to the places where
                people are living in tents and sleeping on camp cots and on sofas
                and air mattresses in other people's living rooms.

                Maybe a furniture weekend at a site in Birmingham or Atlanta is in
                order? (closer to the disaster area, less gas and less gas$$ to
                transport) Dunno what the supplies of lumber are like in those
                areas, it might be better to make the stuff locally and ship it.

                Just my thoughts -- Gillian Durham

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • msgilliandurham
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                  Yes, absolutely!

                  Part of the not-feeling-helpless is being able to control the help
                  you get and not having help forced on you -- so much of what has
                  happened has been forced on them ...

                  Gillian

                  wrote:
                  > The original point, however, is valid:
                  >
                  > We need to hear what THEY say they need, and then try to help. I'm
                  holding
                  > onto my resources until I hear from Bri.
                  >
                  > Master William McNaughton, CL
                  > http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                • Lew Newby
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                    Yes I am in contact with them. They are putting together a list of
                    things and should have more info over the weekend and into next week.

                    Carolingia has already offered up a set of thrones.

                    The Royal Heirs will be getting back to me and are certainly
                    appreciative of the effort everyone is making.

                    Farin

                    Lew Newby Jr.
                    dragon@...
                    ****** Draco Aliquando Vincent ******
                    (At some time the dragon shall conquer)
                  • Arthur Slaughter
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                      I do turnedware(wooden) and chests ket me know if my assistance is needed.
                      THL Finn Mac Art
                      Northshield