Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Helping Gleann Abhann Regalia

  • Lord Robin Gallowglass
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
      On Thursday 01 September 2005 19:54, Lew Newby wrote:
      > The big question is, how many folks are willing to participate in this
      > effort? I would like to get a decent idea soon so plans can be made.

      I'm willing to set up a "satalite" effort out here near Philly, as I can't
      make it to your location.

      > Farin

      Robin
    • Lew Newby
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
        Looks like this is getting out and I am getting a couple messages from
        other locations and I may become the defacto organizer in this effort.
        Keep me updated and we will see what needs to occur.

        Currently I have heard the following:
        "Not all the regalia has been lost. The out going Prince and
        Princess have their regalia and 1 set of thrones in the north of
        Louisiana that was untouched by the weather. Lost (most probably) were
        the Tanist and Tanista coronets (which wouldn't be needed for much
        longer anyway) and the King and Queens Crowns. I say probably as we do
        not know how many feet exactly got into the house. We do know with
        almost certainty that the Heirs thrones are a loss, but we have been
        gifted with a set from another Kingdom. Also, probably a loss are the
        wooden chests that the crowns are carried in and the chest feast gear is
        stored in. What I would like to do is wait until after this weekend
        when Radu and Bri will try to make their way home. I will also get with
        others who have lost all (2 Baronies, a Canton, and a Shire), and see
        what is most needed. Then I can email you with a better list."

        Carolingia has offered up a set of thrones that are already built and I
        may be assisting in getting them transported down.

        Farin

        Lord Robin Gallowglass wrote:

        > On Thursday 01 September 2005 19:54, Lew Newby wrote:
        > > The big question is, how many folks are willing to participate in this
        > > effort? I would like to get a decent idea soon so plans can be made.
        >
        > I'm willing to set up a "satalite" effort out here near Philly, as I
        > can't
        > make it to your location.
        >

        > > Farin
        > >

        > Robin

        > Medieval and renaissance costume
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w1=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w2=Medieval+times&w3=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&c=3&s=99&.sig=HXP-uWkNkVN70w_alkMyyQ>
        > Medieval times
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Medieval+times&w1=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w2=Medieval+times&w3=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&c=3&s=99&.sig=4F-IezHhWKE2LTFcS5Czmw>
        > Medieval time dinner and tournament
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&w1=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w2=Medieval+times&w3=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&c=3&s=99&.sig=GNRomoKKUBV7_ePBIuwSDA>

        Lew Newby Jr.
        dragon@...
        ****** Draco Aliquando Vincent ******
        (At some time the dragon shall conquer)
      • Flemish Lady
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
          I second the opinion that the emotional needs be
          addressed. Glenn Abhann is not just having a
          coronation, it is their *First Coronation*. To have
          new regalia for such an occasion, not just stuff
          cobbled together, would help the birth of this kingdom
          greatly.

          Blessings,
          Marthe Elsbeth of Oak Hill

          --- Lew Newby <gideon@...> wrote:

          > I would agree with you in some respect but there are
          > two aspects to
          > disaster relief. One is the physical, right now
          > needs and the other is
          > emotional. You can provide all the physical right
          > now needs in the world
          > but if the emotional part is not addressed then
          > everything goes for
          > naught as they lose or never gain hope for a future
          > in the very time
          > they need it.
          >
          > Providing a hope for the future is paramount in
          > recovery. Sure I can
          > provide money, even goods but like in other
          > disasters that have occurred
          > that still leaves the contributors and recipients
          > feeling helpless and
          > detached. Could I take time off from my job and
          > drive down and help with
          > the cleanup. The answer to that is no and not
          > because I couldn't get the
          > time off or that I am physically not capable. In a
          > disaster area only
          > recognized members of the proper agencies and
          > companies providing
          > cleanup efforts are allowed in. So again I am left
          > feeling helpless to
          > provide direct assistance.
          >
          > So I offer in opportunity for us to address the
          > non-tangible effect and
          > help to provide hope for a bright future and to give
          > these folks
          > something to hold onto in their hearts.
          >
          > Farin

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        • Kristoffer Berglind
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
            Has anybody actually asked _them_ what _they_ want and need?

            If my home and life was destoyed my historical stuff would be among the
            last tings i worried about. Even if its cost me some money and a lot of
            time (all handmade/sewn/forged...) my real life seems a bit more important.

            Try to contact them and ask before you spend loads of time and money
            that could be used better ways.

            Dont want to be rude but this seems to be the wrong forum for this
            debate. Join SCA-backtonormal or SCA-911 instead.

            Regards
            Kristoffer

          • Flemish Lady
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
              I'm assuming that Farin is working with Master Erik of
              Telemark (relief coordinator), Mistress Gwen (the
              Meridian seneschal), and Master Stephen (Glenn Abhann
              seneschal) in coordinating what needs to be replaced,
              etc.

              Glenn Abhann's first coronation is scheduled for
              October 1. While it may be delayed, it's still coming
              a lot faster than those who have been affected can
              deal with.

              But perhaps it would be better to take this to
              SCA-backtonormal or SCA-diaster lists. We don't need
              to be duplicating efforts.

              --- Kristoffer Berglind

              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                I disagree. This group is equipped with real people with real skills and
                real tools to make real stuff. This is exactly the forum to discuss this.

                Prince Moose and Princess Bri are going on an expedition into Slidell this
                weekend to try to find their house. I wonder if they could use some extra
                hands and chainsaws?

                Master William McNaughton, CL
                http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood
                Cabinetmaker, AND Tree-Butcher

                Flemish Lady wrote:

                > I second the opinion that the emotional needs be
                > addressed. Glenn Abhann is not just having a
                > coronation, it is their *First Coronation*. To have
                > new regalia for such an occasion, not just stuff
                > cobbled together, would help the birth of this kingdom
                > greatly.
                >
                > Blessings,
                > Marthe Elsbeth of Oak Hill
                >
                > --- Lew Newby <gideon@...> wrote:
                >
                > > I would agree with you in some respect but there are
                > > two aspects to
                > > disaster relief. One is the physical, right now
                > > needs and the other is
                > > emotional. You can provide all the physical right
                > > now needs in the world
                > > but if the emotional part is not addressed then
                > > everything goes for
                > > naught as they lose or never gain hope for a future
                > > in the very time
                > > they need it.
                > >
                > > Providing a hope for the future is paramount in
                > > recovery. Sure I can
                > > provide money, even goods but like in other
                > > disasters that have occurred
                > > that still leaves the contributors and recipients
                > > feeling helpless and
                > > detached. Could I take time off from my job and
                > > drive down and help with
                > > the cleanup. The answer to that is no and not
                > > because I couldn't get the
                > > time off or that I am physically not capable. In a
                > > disaster area only
                > > recognized members of the proper agencies and
                > > companies providing
                > > cleanup efforts are allowed in. So again I am left
                > > feeling helpless to
                > > provide direct assistance.
                > >
                > > So I offer in opportunity for us to address the
                > > non-tangible effect and
                > > help to provide hope for a bright future and to give
                > > these folks
                > > something to hold onto in their hearts.
                > >
                > > Farin

                > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

              • msgilliandurham
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@p...>
                  wrote:

                  > Prince Moose and Princess Bri are going on an expedition into
                  > Slidell this weekend to try to find their house. I wonder if they
                  > could use some extra hands and chainsaws?
                  >
                  > Master William McNaughton, CL

                  Certainly not having to face the devestation alone would be a big
                  help, and it's thoughtful of you to want to help, but they may
                  already have that moral and physical support from someone closer
                  geographically.

                  Also, someone posted to the Tavern Yard? SCA-911? (I think it was
                  either Master Stephen or Master Eric) that if you come down, you
                  should be prepared with enough gas to get back home as well, as
                  every rare drop available is needed on site.

                  I'm also wondering that if gasoline supplies are as low as the
                  reports, that handsaws and axes might be more to the point than
                  chainsaws?

                  I'm wondering if it might be more productive long term (and this is
                  based on what I'm reading on other groups) of starting to put
                  together mundane furniture, beds and chests and chairs and tables
                  and racks for hanging clothes, to be distributed when folks have a
                  place to call home again, or to be distributed to the places where
                  people are living in tents and sleeping on camp cots and on sofas
                  and air mattresses in other people's living rooms.

                  Maybe a furniture weekend at a site in Birmingham or Atlanta is in
                  order? (closer to the disaster area, less gas and less gas$$ to
                  transport) Dunno what the supplies of lumber are like in those
                  areas, it might be better to make the stuff locally and ship it.

                  Just my thoughts -- Gillian Durham
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                    The original point, however, is valid:

                    We need to hear what THEY say they need, and then try to help. I'm holding
                    onto my resources until I hear from Bri.

                    Master William McNaughton, CL
                    http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                    > Prince Moose and Princess Bri are going on an expedition into
                    > Slidell this weekend to try to find their house. I wonder if they
                    > could use some extra hands and chainsaws?
                    >
                    > Master William McNaughton, CL

                    Certainly not having to face the devestation alone would be a big
                    help, and it's thoughtful of you to want to help, but they may
                    already have that moral and physical support from someone closer
                    geographically.

                    Also, someone posted to the Tavern Yard? SCA-911? (I think it was
                    either Master Stephen or Master Eric) that if you come down, you
                    should be prepared with enough gas to get back home as well, as
                    every rare drop available is needed on site.

                    I'm also wondering that if gasoline supplies are as low as the
                    reports, that handsaws and axes might be more to the point than
                    chainsaws?

                    I'm wondering if it might be more productive long term (and this is
                    based on what I'm reading on other groups) of starting to put
                    together mundane furniture, beds and chests and chairs and tables
                    and racks for hanging clothes, to be distributed when folks have a
                    place to call home again, or to be distributed to the places where
                    people are living in tents and sleeping on camp cots and on sofas
                    and air mattresses in other people's living rooms.

                    Maybe a furniture weekend at a site in Birmingham or Atlanta is in
                    order? (closer to the disaster area, less gas and less gas$$ to
                    transport) Dunno what the supplies of lumber are like in those
                    areas, it might be better to make the stuff locally and ship it.

                    Just my thoughts -- Gillian Durham

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • msgilliandurham
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                      Yes, absolutely!

                      Part of the not-feeling-helpless is being able to control the help
                      you get and not having help forced on you -- so much of what has
                      happened has been forced on them ...

                      Gillian

                      wrote:
                      > The original point, however, is valid:
                      >
                      > We need to hear what THEY say they need, and then try to help. I'm
                      holding
                      > onto my resources until I hear from Bri.
                      >
                      > Master William McNaughton, CL
                      > http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                    • Lew Newby
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                        Yes I am in contact with them. They are putting together a list of
                        things and should have more info over the weekend and into next week.

                        Carolingia has already offered up a set of thrones.

                        The Royal Heirs will be getting back to me and are certainly
                        appreciative of the effort everyone is making.

                        Farin

                      • Arthur Slaughter
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                          I do turnedware(wooden) and chests ket me know if my assistance is needed.
                          THL Finn Mac Art
                          Northshield