Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Helping Gleann Abhann Regalia

  • Lew Newby
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
      msgilliandurham wrote:

      > My 2 pence --
      >
      > I would say that mundane supplies and SCA supplies are both in
      > order, but yes, with the mundane supplies somewhat more important.
      >
      > I'm guessing some of these people have no beds to sleep on, no
      > chairs to sit on, no tables to eat from, no chests to lstore or to
      > lock up what few things they are being given by the refugee
      > organizations.

      I agree and nothing says the effort couldn't be extended, I am just
      proposing something to get a movement started.

      With a separate idea I received that suggests a work crew go down south
      and help clear trees in exchange for the fallen timber that could be
      used to make items with. If you had a supply of timber that could be
      milled somehow then making basic furniture pieces for more people
      becomes easier.

      > Perhaps rather than thrones, plain chairs which could also be used
      > mundanely would be more welcome in the long run? Preferably folding
      > ones, since many will probably be moving multiple times until they
      > have a place to settle? Ditto with tables? and the chests should be
      > smallish?

      Nothing we could generate in a short time would be grand, it would be
      functional and beautiful in a simple elegant way. Glastonbury chairs can
      be used as thrones with the correct trappings, folding tables can be
      used for many things and transported easily. Trunks of all sizes could
      be utilized.

      > These could be dressed up for SCA events with cushions, tablecloths,
      > etc.
      >
      > Gillian (the saying is, "If I have *2* loaves of bread, I sell *1*
      > and buy hyacinths for the soul" -- so I still eat!) Durham

      Exactly, the soul of each and every one of those folks needs feeding and
      help from those able to give it. I'm offering something to feed the
      souls of those that can use it in this time.

      Farin

      Lew Newby Jr.
      dragon@...
      ****** Draco Aliquando Vincent ******
      (At some time the dragon shall conquer)
    • Lew Newby
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
        The big question is, how many folks are willing to participate in this
        effort? I would like to get a decent idea soon so plans can be made.

        Farin

        --
        Lew Newby Jr.
        dragon@...
        ****** Draco Aliquando Vincent ******
        (At some time the dragon shall conquer)
      • Lord Robin Gallowglass
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
          On Thursday 01 September 2005 19:54, Lew Newby wrote:
          > The big question is, how many folks are willing to participate in this
          > effort? I would like to get a decent idea soon so plans can be made.

          I'm willing to set up a "satalite" effort out here near Philly, as I can't
          make it to your location.

          > Farin

          Robin
        • Lew Newby
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
            Looks like this is getting out and I am getting a couple messages from
            other locations and I may become the defacto organizer in this effort.
            Keep me updated and we will see what needs to occur.

            Currently I have heard the following:
            "Not all the regalia has been lost. The out going Prince and
            Princess have their regalia and 1 set of thrones in the north of
            Louisiana that was untouched by the weather. Lost (most probably) were
            the Tanist and Tanista coronets (which wouldn't be needed for much
            longer anyway) and the King and Queens Crowns. I say probably as we do
            not know how many feet exactly got into the house. We do know with
            almost certainty that the Heirs thrones are a loss, but we have been
            gifted with a set from another Kingdom. Also, probably a loss are the
            wooden chests that the crowns are carried in and the chest feast gear is
            stored in. What I would like to do is wait until after this weekend
            when Radu and Bri will try to make their way home. I will also get with
            others who have lost all (2 Baronies, a Canton, and a Shire), and see
            what is most needed. Then I can email you with a better list."

            Carolingia has offered up a set of thrones that are already built and I
            may be assisting in getting them transported down.

            Farin

            Lord Robin Gallowglass wrote:

            > On Thursday 01 September 2005 19:54, Lew Newby wrote:
            > > The big question is, how many folks are willing to participate in this
            > > effort? I would like to get a decent idea soon so plans can be made.
            >
            > I'm willing to set up a "satalite" effort out here near Philly, as I
            > can't
            > make it to your location.
            >

            > > Farin
            > >

            > Robin

            > Medieval and renaissance costume
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w1=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w2=Medieval+times&w3=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&c=3&s=99&.sig=HXP-uWkNkVN70w_alkMyyQ>
            > Medieval times
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Medieval+times&w1=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w2=Medieval+times&w3=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&c=3&s=99&.sig=4F-IezHhWKE2LTFcS5Czmw>
            > Medieval time dinner and tournament
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&w1=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w2=Medieval+times&w3=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&c=3&s=99&.sig=GNRomoKKUBV7_ePBIuwSDA>

            Lew Newby Jr.
            dragon@...
            ****** Draco Aliquando Vincent ******
            (At some time the dragon shall conquer)
          • Flemish Lady
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
              I second the opinion that the emotional needs be
              addressed. Glenn Abhann is not just having a
              coronation, it is their *First Coronation*. To have
              new regalia for such an occasion, not just stuff
              cobbled together, would help the birth of this kingdom
              greatly.

              Blessings,
              Marthe Elsbeth of Oak Hill

              --- Lew Newby <gideon@...> wrote:

              > I would agree with you in some respect but there are
              > two aspects to
              > disaster relief. One is the physical, right now
              > needs and the other is
              > emotional. You can provide all the physical right
              > now needs in the world
              > but if the emotional part is not addressed then
              > everything goes for
              > naught as they lose or never gain hope for a future
              > in the very time
              > they need it.
              >
              > Providing a hope for the future is paramount in
              > recovery. Sure I can
              > provide money, even goods but like in other
              > disasters that have occurred
              > that still leaves the contributors and recipients
              > feeling helpless and
              > detached. Could I take time off from my job and
              > drive down and help with
              > the cleanup. The answer to that is no and not
              > because I couldn't get the
              > time off or that I am physically not capable. In a
              > disaster area only
              > recognized members of the proper agencies and
              > companies providing
              > cleanup efforts are allowed in. So again I am left
              > feeling helpless to
              > provide direct assistance.
              >
              > So I offer in opportunity for us to address the
              > non-tangible effect and
              > help to provide hope for a bright future and to give
              > these folks
              > something to hold onto in their hearts.
              >
              > Farin

              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            • Kristoffer Berglind
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                Has anybody actually asked _them_ what _they_ want and need?

                If my home and life was destoyed my historical stuff would be among the
                last tings i worried about. Even if its cost me some money and a lot of
                time (all handmade/sewn/forged...) my real life seems a bit more important.

                Try to contact them and ask before you spend loads of time and money
                that could be used better ways.

                Dont want to be rude but this seems to be the wrong forum for this
                debate. Join SCA-backtonormal or SCA-911 instead.

                Regards
                Kristoffer

              • Flemish Lady
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                  I'm assuming that Farin is working with Master Erik of
                  Telemark (relief coordinator), Mistress Gwen (the
                  Meridian seneschal), and Master Stephen (Glenn Abhann
                  seneschal) in coordinating what needs to be replaced,
                  etc.

                  Glenn Abhann's first coronation is scheduled for
                  October 1. While it may be delayed, it's still coming
                  a lot faster than those who have been affected can
                  deal with.

                  But perhaps it would be better to take this to
                  SCA-backtonormal or SCA-diaster lists. We don't need
                  to be duplicating efforts.

                  --- Kristoffer Berglind

                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                    I disagree. This group is equipped with real people with real skills and
                    real tools to make real stuff. This is exactly the forum to discuss this.

                    Prince Moose and Princess Bri are going on an expedition into Slidell this
                    weekend to try to find their house. I wonder if they could use some extra
                    hands and chainsaws?

                    Master William McNaughton, CL
                    http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood
                    Cabinetmaker, AND Tree-Butcher

                    Flemish Lady wrote:

                    > I second the opinion that the emotional needs be
                    > addressed. Glenn Abhann is not just having a
                    > coronation, it is their *First Coronation*. To have
                    > new regalia for such an occasion, not just stuff
                    > cobbled together, would help the birth of this kingdom
                    > greatly.
                    >
                    > Blessings,
                    > Marthe Elsbeth of Oak Hill
                    >
                    > --- Lew Newby <gideon@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > I would agree with you in some respect but there are
                    > > two aspects to
                    > > disaster relief. One is the physical, right now
                    > > needs and the other is
                    > > emotional. You can provide all the physical right
                    > > now needs in the world
                    > > but if the emotional part is not addressed then
                    > > everything goes for
                    > > naught as they lose or never gain hope for a future
                    > > in the very time
                    > > they need it.
                    > >
                    > > Providing a hope for the future is paramount in
                    > > recovery. Sure I can
                    > > provide money, even goods but like in other
                    > > disasters that have occurred
                    > > that still leaves the contributors and recipients
                    > > feeling helpless and
                    > > detached. Could I take time off from my job and
                    > > drive down and help with
                    > > the cleanup. The answer to that is no and not
                    > > because I couldn't get the
                    > > time off or that I am physically not capable. In a
                    > > disaster area only
                    > > recognized members of the proper agencies and
                    > > companies providing
                    > > cleanup efforts are allowed in. So again I am left
                    > > feeling helpless to
                    > > provide direct assistance.
                    > >
                    > > So I offer in opportunity for us to address the
                    > > non-tangible effect and
                    > > help to provide hope for a bright future and to give
                    > > these folks
                    > > something to hold onto in their hearts.
                    > >
                    > > Farin

                    > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

                  • msgilliandurham
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@p...>
                      wrote:

                      > Prince Moose and Princess Bri are going on an expedition into
                      > Slidell this weekend to try to find their house. I wonder if they
                      > could use some extra hands and chainsaws?
                      >
                      > Master William McNaughton, CL

                      Certainly not having to face the devestation alone would be a big
                      help, and it's thoughtful of you to want to help, but they may
                      already have that moral and physical support from someone closer
                      geographically.

                      Also, someone posted to the Tavern Yard? SCA-911? (I think it was
                      either Master Stephen or Master Eric) that if you come down, you
                      should be prepared with enough gas to get back home as well, as
                      every rare drop available is needed on site.

                      I'm also wondering that if gasoline supplies are as low as the
                      reports, that handsaws and axes might be more to the point than
                      chainsaws?

                      I'm wondering if it might be more productive long term (and this is
                      based on what I'm reading on other groups) of starting to put
                      together mundane furniture, beds and chests and chairs and tables
                      and racks for hanging clothes, to be distributed when folks have a
                      place to call home again, or to be distributed to the places where
                      people are living in tents and sleeping on camp cots and on sofas
                      and air mattresses in other people's living rooms.

                      Maybe a furniture weekend at a site in Birmingham or Atlanta is in
                      order? (closer to the disaster area, less gas and less gas$$ to
                      transport) Dunno what the supplies of lumber are like in those
                      areas, it might be better to make the stuff locally and ship it.

                      Just my thoughts -- Gillian Durham
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                        The original point, however, is valid:

                        We need to hear what THEY say they need, and then try to help. I'm holding
                        onto my resources until I hear from Bri.

                        Master William McNaughton, CL
                        http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                        > Prince Moose and Princess Bri are going on an expedition into
                        > Slidell this weekend to try to find their house. I wonder if they
                        > could use some extra hands and chainsaws?
                        >
                        > Master William McNaughton, CL

                        Certainly not having to face the devestation alone would be a big
                        help, and it's thoughtful of you to want to help, but they may
                        already have that moral and physical support from someone closer
                        geographically.

                        Also, someone posted to the Tavern Yard? SCA-911? (I think it was
                        either Master Stephen or Master Eric) that if you come down, you
                        should be prepared with enough gas to get back home as well, as
                        every rare drop available is needed on site.

                        I'm also wondering that if gasoline supplies are as low as the
                        reports, that handsaws and axes might be more to the point than
                        chainsaws?

                        I'm wondering if it might be more productive long term (and this is
                        based on what I'm reading on other groups) of starting to put
                        together mundane furniture, beds and chests and chairs and tables
                        and racks for hanging clothes, to be distributed when folks have a
                        place to call home again, or to be distributed to the places where
                        people are living in tents and sleeping on camp cots and on sofas
                        and air mattresses in other people's living rooms.

                        Maybe a furniture weekend at a site in Birmingham or Atlanta is in
                        order? (closer to the disaster area, less gas and less gas$$ to
                        transport) Dunno what the supplies of lumber are like in those
                        areas, it might be better to make the stuff locally and ship it.

                        Just my thoughts -- Gillian Durham

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • msgilliandurham
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                          Yes, absolutely!

                          Part of the not-feeling-helpless is being able to control the help
                          you get and not having help forced on you -- so much of what has
                          happened has been forced on them ...

                          Gillian

                          wrote:
                          > The original point, however, is valid:
                          >
                          > We need to hear what THEY say they need, and then try to help. I'm
                          holding
                          > onto my resources until I hear from Bri.
                          >
                          > Master William McNaughton, CL
                          > http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                        • Lew Newby
                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                            Yes I am in contact with them. They are putting together a list of
                            things and should have more info over the weekend and into next week.

                            Carolingia has already offered up a set of thrones.

                            The Royal Heirs will be getting back to me and are certainly
                            appreciative of the effort everyone is making.

                            Farin

                          • Arthur Slaughter
                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                              I do turnedware(wooden) and chests ket me know if my assistance is needed.
                              THL Finn Mac Art
                              Northshield