Re: Helping Gleann Abhann Regalia

  • msgilliandurham
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
      You may also want to join the Yahoo group SCA-911 -- it appears a lot
      of the relief effort is being coordinated there.

      YIS -- Gillian Durham
    • Lew Newby
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
        Actually the SCA-backtonormal group is more in line with this effort.

        msgilliandurham wrote:

        > You may also want to join the Yahoo group SCA-911 -- it appears a lot
        > of the relief effort is being coordinated there.
        >
        > YIS -- Gillian Durham

        Lew Newby Jr.
        dragon@...
        ****** Draco Aliquando Vincent ******
        (At some time the dragon shall conquer)
      • Lew Newby
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
          msgilliandurham wrote:

          > My 2 pence --
          >
          > I would say that mundane supplies and SCA supplies are both in
          > order, but yes, with the mundane supplies somewhat more important.
          >
          > I'm guessing some of these people have no beds to sleep on, no
          > chairs to sit on, no tables to eat from, no chests to lstore or to
          > lock up what few things they are being given by the refugee
          > organizations.

          I agree and nothing says the effort couldn't be extended, I am just
          proposing something to get a movement started.

          With a separate idea I received that suggests a work crew go down south
          and help clear trees in exchange for the fallen timber that could be
          used to make items with. If you had a supply of timber that could be
          milled somehow then making basic furniture pieces for more people
          becomes easier.

          > Perhaps rather than thrones, plain chairs which could also be used
          > mundanely would be more welcome in the long run? Preferably folding
          > ones, since many will probably be moving multiple times until they
          > have a place to settle? Ditto with tables? and the chests should be
          > smallish?

          Nothing we could generate in a short time would be grand, it would be
          functional and beautiful in a simple elegant way. Glastonbury chairs can
          be used as thrones with the correct trappings, folding tables can be
          used for many things and transported easily. Trunks of all sizes could
          be utilized.

          > These could be dressed up for SCA events with cushions, tablecloths,
          > etc.
          >
          > Gillian (the saying is, "If I have *2* loaves of bread, I sell *1*
          > and buy hyacinths for the soul" -- so I still eat!) Durham

          Exactly, the soul of each and every one of those folks needs feeding and
          help from those able to give it. I'm offering something to feed the
          souls of those that can use it in this time.

          Farin

          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
            The big question is, how many folks are willing to participate in this
            effort? I would like to get a decent idea soon so plans can be made.

            Farin

            --
            Lew Newby Jr.
            dragon@...
            ****** Draco Aliquando Vincent ******
            (At some time the dragon shall conquer)
          • Lord Robin Gallowglass
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
              On Thursday 01 September 2005 19:54, Lew Newby wrote:
              > The big question is, how many folks are willing to participate in this
              > effort? I would like to get a decent idea soon so plans can be made.

              I'm willing to set up a "satalite" effort out here near Philly, as I can't
              make it to your location.

              > Farin

              Robin
            • Lew Newby
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
                Looks like this is getting out and I am getting a couple messages from
                other locations and I may become the defacto organizer in this effort.
                Keep me updated and we will see what needs to occur.

                Currently I have heard the following:
                "Not all the regalia has been lost. The out going Prince and
                Princess have their regalia and 1 set of thrones in the north of
                Louisiana that was untouched by the weather. Lost (most probably) were
                the Tanist and Tanista coronets (which wouldn't be needed for much
                longer anyway) and the King and Queens Crowns. I say probably as we do
                not know how many feet exactly got into the house. We do know with
                almost certainty that the Heirs thrones are a loss, but we have been
                gifted with a set from another Kingdom. Also, probably a loss are the
                wooden chests that the crowns are carried in and the chest feast gear is
                stored in. What I would like to do is wait until after this weekend
                when Radu and Bri will try to make their way home. I will also get with
                others who have lost all (2 Baronies, a Canton, and a Shire), and see
                what is most needed. Then I can email you with a better list."

                Carolingia has offered up a set of thrones that are already built and I
                may be assisting in getting them transported down.

                Farin

                Lord Robin Gallowglass wrote:

                > On Thursday 01 September 2005 19:54, Lew Newby wrote:
                > > The big question is, how many folks are willing to participate in this
                > > effort? I would like to get a decent idea soon so plans can be made.
                >
                > I'm willing to set up a "satalite" effort out here near Philly, as I
                > can't
                > make it to your location.
                >

                > > Farin
                > >

                > Robin

                > Medieval and renaissance costume
                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w1=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w2=Medieval+times&w3=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&c=3&s=99&.sig=HXP-uWkNkVN70w_alkMyyQ>
                > Medieval times
                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Medieval+times&w1=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w2=Medieval+times&w3=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&c=3&s=99&.sig=4F-IezHhWKE2LTFcS5Czmw>
                > Medieval time dinner and tournament
                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&w1=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w2=Medieval+times&w3=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&c=3&s=99&.sig=GNRomoKKUBV7_ePBIuwSDA>

                Lew Newby Jr.
                dragon@...
                ****** Draco Aliquando Vincent ******
                (At some time the dragon shall conquer)
              • Flemish Lady
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                  I second the opinion that the emotional needs be
                  addressed. Glenn Abhann is not just having a
                  coronation, it is their *First Coronation*. To have
                  new regalia for such an occasion, not just stuff
                  cobbled together, would help the birth of this kingdom
                  greatly.

                  Blessings,
                  Marthe Elsbeth of Oak Hill

                  --- Lew Newby <gideon@...> wrote:

                  > I would agree with you in some respect but there are
                  > two aspects to
                  > disaster relief. One is the physical, right now
                  > needs and the other is
                  > emotional. You can provide all the physical right
                  > now needs in the world
                  > but if the emotional part is not addressed then
                  > everything goes for
                  > naught as they lose or never gain hope for a future
                  > in the very time
                  > they need it.
                  >
                  > Providing a hope for the future is paramount in
                  > recovery. Sure I can
                  > provide money, even goods but like in other
                  > disasters that have occurred
                  > that still leaves the contributors and recipients
                  > feeling helpless and
                  > detached. Could I take time off from my job and
                  > drive down and help with
                  > the cleanup. The answer to that is no and not
                  > because I couldn't get the
                  > time off or that I am physically not capable. In a
                  > disaster area only
                  > recognized members of the proper agencies and
                  > companies providing
                  > cleanup efforts are allowed in. So again I am left
                  > feeling helpless to
                  > provide direct assistance.
                  >
                  > So I offer in opportunity for us to address the
                  > non-tangible effect and
                  > help to provide hope for a bright future and to give
                  > these folks
                  > something to hold onto in their hearts.
                  >
                  > Farin

                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                • Kristoffer Berglind
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                    Has anybody actually asked _them_ what _they_ want and need?

                    If my home and life was destoyed my historical stuff would be among the
                    last tings i worried about. Even if its cost me some money and a lot of
                    time (all handmade/sewn/forged...) my real life seems a bit more important.

                    Try to contact them and ask before you spend loads of time and money
                    that could be used better ways.

                    Dont want to be rude but this seems to be the wrong forum for this
                    debate. Join SCA-backtonormal or SCA-911 instead.

                    Regards
                    Kristoffer

                  • Flemish Lady
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                      I'm assuming that Farin is working with Master Erik of
                      Telemark (relief coordinator), Mistress Gwen (the
                      Meridian seneschal), and Master Stephen (Glenn Abhann
                      seneschal) in coordinating what needs to be replaced,
                      etc.

                      Glenn Abhann's first coronation is scheduled for
                      October 1. While it may be delayed, it's still coming
                      a lot faster than those who have been affected can
                      deal with.

                      But perhaps it would be better to take this to
                      SCA-backtonormal or SCA-diaster lists. We don't need
                      to be duplicating efforts.

                      --- Kristoffer Berglind

                      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                        I disagree. This group is equipped with real people with real skills and
                        real tools to make real stuff. This is exactly the forum to discuss this.

                        Prince Moose and Princess Bri are going on an expedition into Slidell this
                        weekend to try to find their house. I wonder if they could use some extra
                        hands and chainsaws?

                        Master William McNaughton, CL
                        http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood
                        Cabinetmaker, AND Tree-Butcher

                        Flemish Lady wrote:

                        > I second the opinion that the emotional needs be
                        > addressed. Glenn Abhann is not just having a
                        > coronation, it is their *First Coronation*. To have
                        > new regalia for such an occasion, not just stuff
                        > cobbled together, would help the birth of this kingdom
                        > greatly.
                        >
                        > Blessings,
                        > Marthe Elsbeth of Oak Hill
                        >
                        > --- Lew Newby <gideon@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > I would agree with you in some respect but there are
                        > > two aspects to
                        > > disaster relief. One is the physical, right now
                        > > needs and the other is
                        > > emotional. You can provide all the physical right
                        > > now needs in the world
                        > > but if the emotional part is not addressed then
                        > > everything goes for
                        > > naught as they lose or never gain hope for a future
                        > > in the very time
                        > > they need it.
                        > >
                        > > Providing a hope for the future is paramount in
                        > > recovery. Sure I can
                        > > provide money, even goods but like in other
                        > > disasters that have occurred
                        > > that still leaves the contributors and recipients
                        > > feeling helpless and
                        > > detached. Could I take time off from my job and
                        > > drive down and help with
                        > > the cleanup. The answer to that is no and not
                        > > because I couldn't get the
                        > > time off or that I am physically not capable. In a
                        > > disaster area only
                        > > recognized members of the proper agencies and
                        > > companies providing
                        > > cleanup efforts are allowed in. So again I am left
                        > > feeling helpless to
                        > > provide direct assistance.
                        > >
                        > > So I offer in opportunity for us to address the
                        > > non-tangible effect and
                        > > help to provide hope for a bright future and to give
                        > > these folks
                        > > something to hold onto in their hearts.
                        > >
                        > > Farin

                        > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

                      • msgilliandurham
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@p...>
                          wrote:

                          > Prince Moose and Princess Bri are going on an expedition into
                          > Slidell this weekend to try to find their house. I wonder if they
                          > could use some extra hands and chainsaws?
                          >
                          > Master William McNaughton, CL

                          Certainly not having to face the devestation alone would be a big
                          help, and it's thoughtful of you to want to help, but they may
                          already have that moral and physical support from someone closer
                          geographically.

                          Also, someone posted to the Tavern Yard? SCA-911? (I think it was
                          either Master Stephen or Master Eric) that if you come down, you
                          should be prepared with enough gas to get back home as well, as
                          every rare drop available is needed on site.

                          I'm also wondering that if gasoline supplies are as low as the
                          reports, that handsaws and axes might be more to the point than
                          chainsaws?

                          I'm wondering if it might be more productive long term (and this is
                          based on what I'm reading on other groups) of starting to put
                          together mundane furniture, beds and chests and chairs and tables
                          and racks for hanging clothes, to be distributed when folks have a
                          place to call home again, or to be distributed to the places where
                          people are living in tents and sleeping on camp cots and on sofas
                          and air mattresses in other people's living rooms.

                          Maybe a furniture weekend at a site in Birmingham or Atlanta is in
                          order? (closer to the disaster area, less gas and less gas$$ to
                          transport) Dunno what the supplies of lumber are like in those
                          areas, it might be better to make the stuff locally and ship it.

                          Just my thoughts -- Gillian Durham
                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                            The original point, however, is valid:

                            We need to hear what THEY say they need, and then try to help. I'm holding
                            onto my resources until I hear from Bri.

                            Master William McNaughton, CL
                            http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                            > Prince Moose and Princess Bri are going on an expedition into
                            > Slidell this weekend to try to find their house. I wonder if they
                            > could use some extra hands and chainsaws?
                            >
                            > Master William McNaughton, CL

                            Certainly not having to face the devestation alone would be a big
                            help, and it's thoughtful of you to want to help, but they may
                            already have that moral and physical support from someone closer
                            geographically.

                            Also, someone posted to the Tavern Yard? SCA-911? (I think it was
                            either Master Stephen or Master Eric) that if you come down, you
                            should be prepared with enough gas to get back home as well, as
                            every rare drop available is needed on site.

                            I'm also wondering that if gasoline supplies are as low as the
                            reports, that handsaws and axes might be more to the point than
                            chainsaws?

                            I'm wondering if it might be more productive long term (and this is
                            based on what I'm reading on other groups) of starting to put
                            together mundane furniture, beds and chests and chairs and tables
                            and racks for hanging clothes, to be distributed when folks have a
                            place to call home again, or to be distributed to the places where
                            people are living in tents and sleeping on camp cots and on sofas
                            and air mattresses in other people's living rooms.

                            Maybe a furniture weekend at a site in Birmingham or Atlanta is in
                            order? (closer to the disaster area, less gas and less gas$$ to
                            transport) Dunno what the supplies of lumber are like in those
                            areas, it might be better to make the stuff locally and ship it.

                            Just my thoughts -- Gillian Durham

                            Yahoo! Groups Links
                          • msgilliandurham
                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                              Yes, absolutely!

                              Part of the not-feeling-helpless is being able to control the help
                              you get and not having help forced on you -- so much of what has
                              happened has been forced on them ...

                              Gillian

                              wrote:
                              > The original point, however, is valid:
                              >
                              > We need to hear what THEY say they need, and then try to help. I'm
                              holding
                              > onto my resources until I hear from Bri.
                              >
                              > Master William McNaughton, CL
                              > http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                            • Lew Newby
                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                                Yes I am in contact with them. They are putting together a list of
                                things and should have more info over the weekend and into next week.

                                Carolingia has already offered up a set of thrones.

                                The Royal Heirs will be getting back to me and are certainly
                                appreciative of the effort everyone is making.

                                Farin

                              • Arthur Slaughter
                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                                  I do turnedware(wooden) and chests ket me know if my assistance is needed.
                                  THL Finn Mac Art
                                  Northshield