Re: Helping Gleann Abhann Regalia

  • msgilliandurham
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
      My 2 pence --

      I would say that mundane supplies and SCA supplies are both in
      order, but yes, with the mundane supplies somewhat more important.

      I'm guessing some of these people have no beds to sleep on, no
      chairs to sit on, no tables to eat from, no chests to lstore or to
      lock up what few things they are being given by the refugee
      organizations.

      Perhaps rather than thrones, plain chairs which could also be used
      mundanely would be more welcome in the long run? Preferably folding
      ones, since many will probably be moving multiple times until they
      have a place to settle? Ditto with tables? and the chests should be
      smallish?

      These could be dressed up for SCA events with cushions, tablecloths,
      etc.

      Gillian (the saying is, "If I have *2* loaves of bread, I sell *1*
      and buy hyacinths for the soul" -- so I still eat!) Durham
    • msgilliandurham
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
        Also, Master Stephen has posted to Meridies-ty, in part:

        "Master Erik is coordinating disaster relief and can
        give you some guidance on what is and is not needed. Please contact
        him at irongld (at) bellsouth.net or call
        601-672-7571 (cell) or 337-993-1710 (home) with any questions or
        offers and he will try to match offers of help with those in need."

        and if you cannot reach Master Erik, you can contact Master Stephen:

        Paul Lancaster
        141 Post Hill Rd.
        Brandon, MS 39042
        601-824-3244
        Stephan4 (at) bellsouth.net
      • msgilliandurham
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
          You may also want to join the Yahoo group SCA-911 -- it appears a lot
          of the relief effort is being coordinated there.

          YIS -- Gillian Durham
        • Lew Newby
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
            Actually the SCA-backtonormal group is more in line with this effort.

            msgilliandurham wrote:

            > You may also want to join the Yahoo group SCA-911 -- it appears a lot
            > of the relief effort is being coordinated there.
            >
            > YIS -- Gillian Durham

            Lew Newby Jr.
            dragon@...
            ****** Draco Aliquando Vincent ******
            (At some time the dragon shall conquer)
          • Lew Newby
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
              msgilliandurham wrote:

              > My 2 pence --
              >
              > I would say that mundane supplies and SCA supplies are both in
              > order, but yes, with the mundane supplies somewhat more important.
              >
              > I'm guessing some of these people have no beds to sleep on, no
              > chairs to sit on, no tables to eat from, no chests to lstore or to
              > lock up what few things they are being given by the refugee
              > organizations.

              I agree and nothing says the effort couldn't be extended, I am just
              proposing something to get a movement started.

              With a separate idea I received that suggests a work crew go down south
              and help clear trees in exchange for the fallen timber that could be
              used to make items with. If you had a supply of timber that could be
              milled somehow then making basic furniture pieces for more people
              becomes easier.

              > Perhaps rather than thrones, plain chairs which could also be used
              > mundanely would be more welcome in the long run? Preferably folding
              > ones, since many will probably be moving multiple times until they
              > have a place to settle? Ditto with tables? and the chests should be
              > smallish?

              Nothing we could generate in a short time would be grand, it would be
              functional and beautiful in a simple elegant way. Glastonbury chairs can
              be used as thrones with the correct trappings, folding tables can be
              used for many things and transported easily. Trunks of all sizes could
              be utilized.

              > These could be dressed up for SCA events with cushions, tablecloths,
              > etc.
              >
              > Gillian (the saying is, "If I have *2* loaves of bread, I sell *1*
              > and buy hyacinths for the soul" -- so I still eat!) Durham

              Exactly, the soul of each and every one of those folks needs feeding and
              help from those able to give it. I'm offering something to feed the
              souls of those that can use it in this time.

              Farin

              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
                The big question is, how many folks are willing to participate in this
                effort? I would like to get a decent idea soon so plans can be made.

                Farin

                --
                Lew Newby Jr.
                dragon@...
                ****** Draco Aliquando Vincent ******
                (At some time the dragon shall conquer)
              • Lord Robin Gallowglass
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
                  On Thursday 01 September 2005 19:54, Lew Newby wrote:
                  > The big question is, how many folks are willing to participate in this
                  > effort? I would like to get a decent idea soon so plans can be made.

                  I'm willing to set up a "satalite" effort out here near Philly, as I can't
                  make it to your location.

                  > Farin

                  Robin
                • Lew Newby
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
                    Looks like this is getting out and I am getting a couple messages from
                    other locations and I may become the defacto organizer in this effort.
                    Keep me updated and we will see what needs to occur.

                    Currently I have heard the following:
                    "Not all the regalia has been lost. The out going Prince and
                    Princess have their regalia and 1 set of thrones in the north of
                    Louisiana that was untouched by the weather. Lost (most probably) were
                    the Tanist and Tanista coronets (which wouldn't be needed for much
                    longer anyway) and the King and Queens Crowns. I say probably as we do
                    not know how many feet exactly got into the house. We do know with
                    almost certainty that the Heirs thrones are a loss, but we have been
                    gifted with a set from another Kingdom. Also, probably a loss are the
                    wooden chests that the crowns are carried in and the chest feast gear is
                    stored in. What I would like to do is wait until after this weekend
                    when Radu and Bri will try to make their way home. I will also get with
                    others who have lost all (2 Baronies, a Canton, and a Shire), and see
                    what is most needed. Then I can email you with a better list."

                    Carolingia has offered up a set of thrones that are already built and I
                    may be assisting in getting them transported down.

                    Farin

                    Lord Robin Gallowglass wrote:

                    > On Thursday 01 September 2005 19:54, Lew Newby wrote:
                    > > The big question is, how many folks are willing to participate in this
                    > > effort? I would like to get a decent idea soon so plans can be made.
                    >
                    > I'm willing to set up a "satalite" effort out here near Philly, as I
                    > can't
                    > make it to your location.
                    >

                    > > Farin
                    > >

                    > Robin

                    > Medieval and renaissance costume
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w1=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w2=Medieval+times&w3=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&c=3&s=99&.sig=HXP-uWkNkVN70w_alkMyyQ>
                    > Medieval times
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Medieval+times&w1=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w2=Medieval+times&w3=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&c=3&s=99&.sig=4F-IezHhWKE2LTFcS5Czmw>
                    > Medieval time dinner and tournament
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&w1=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w2=Medieval+times&w3=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&c=3&s=99&.sig=GNRomoKKUBV7_ePBIuwSDA>

                    Lew Newby Jr.
                    dragon@...
                    ****** Draco Aliquando Vincent ******
                    (At some time the dragon shall conquer)
                  • Flemish Lady
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                      I second the opinion that the emotional needs be
                      addressed. Glenn Abhann is not just having a
                      coronation, it is their *First Coronation*. To have
                      new regalia for such an occasion, not just stuff
                      cobbled together, would help the birth of this kingdom
                      greatly.

                      Blessings,
                      Marthe Elsbeth of Oak Hill

                      --- Lew Newby <gideon@...> wrote:

                      > I would agree with you in some respect but there are
                      > two aspects to
                      > disaster relief. One is the physical, right now
                      > needs and the other is
                      > emotional. You can provide all the physical right
                      > now needs in the world
                      > but if the emotional part is not addressed then
                      > everything goes for
                      > naught as they lose or never gain hope for a future
                      > in the very time
                      > they need it.
                      >
                      > Providing a hope for the future is paramount in
                      > recovery. Sure I can
                      > provide money, even goods but like in other
                      > disasters that have occurred
                      > that still leaves the contributors and recipients
                      > feeling helpless and
                      > detached. Could I take time off from my job and
                      > drive down and help with
                      > the cleanup. The answer to that is no and not
                      > because I couldn't get the
                      > time off or that I am physically not capable. In a
                      > disaster area only
                      > recognized members of the proper agencies and
                      > companies providing
                      > cleanup efforts are allowed in. So again I am left
                      > feeling helpless to
                      > provide direct assistance.
                      >
                      > So I offer in opportunity for us to address the
                      > non-tangible effect and
                      > help to provide hope for a bright future and to give
                      > these folks
                      > something to hold onto in their hearts.
                      >
                      > Farin

                      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                    • Kristoffer Berglind
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                        Has anybody actually asked _them_ what _they_ want and need?

                        If my home and life was destoyed my historical stuff would be among the
                        last tings i worried about. Even if its cost me some money and a lot of
                        time (all handmade/sewn/forged...) my real life seems a bit more important.

                        Try to contact them and ask before you spend loads of time and money
                        that could be used better ways.

                        Dont want to be rude but this seems to be the wrong forum for this
                        debate. Join SCA-backtonormal or SCA-911 instead.

                        Regards
                        Kristoffer

                      • Flemish Lady
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                          I'm assuming that Farin is working with Master Erik of
                          Telemark (relief coordinator), Mistress Gwen (the
                          Meridian seneschal), and Master Stephen (Glenn Abhann
                          seneschal) in coordinating what needs to be replaced,
                          etc.

                          Glenn Abhann's first coronation is scheduled for
                          October 1. While it may be delayed, it's still coming
                          a lot faster than those who have been affected can
                          deal with.

                          But perhaps it would be better to take this to
                          SCA-backtonormal or SCA-diaster lists. We don't need
                          to be duplicating efforts.

                          --- Kristoffer Berglind

                          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                            I disagree. This group is equipped with real people with real skills and
                            real tools to make real stuff. This is exactly the forum to discuss this.

                            Prince Moose and Princess Bri are going on an expedition into Slidell this
                            weekend to try to find their house. I wonder if they could use some extra
                            hands and chainsaws?

                            Master William McNaughton, CL
                            http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood
                            Cabinetmaker, AND Tree-Butcher

                            Flemish Lady wrote:

                            > I second the opinion that the emotional needs be
                            > addressed. Glenn Abhann is not just having a
                            > coronation, it is their *First Coronation*. To have
                            > new regalia for such an occasion, not just stuff
                            > cobbled together, would help the birth of this kingdom
                            > greatly.
                            >
                            > Blessings,
                            > Marthe Elsbeth of Oak Hill
                            >
                            > --- Lew Newby <gideon@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > I would agree with you in some respect but there are
                            > > two aspects to
                            > > disaster relief. One is the physical, right now
                            > > needs and the other is
                            > > emotional. You can provide all the physical right
                            > > now needs in the world
                            > > but if the emotional part is not addressed then
                            > > everything goes for
                            > > naught as they lose or never gain hope for a future
                            > > in the very time
                            > > they need it.
                            > >
                            > > Providing a hope for the future is paramount in
                            > > recovery. Sure I can
                            > > provide money, even goods but like in other
                            > > disasters that have occurred
                            > > that still leaves the contributors and recipients
                            > > feeling helpless and
                            > > detached. Could I take time off from my job and
                            > > drive down and help with
                            > > the cleanup. The answer to that is no and not
                            > > because I couldn't get the
                            > > time off or that I am physically not capable. In a
                            > > disaster area only
                            > > recognized members of the proper agencies and
                            > > companies providing
                            > > cleanup efforts are allowed in. So again I am left
                            > > feeling helpless to
                            > > provide direct assistance.
                            > >
                            > > So I offer in opportunity for us to address the
                            > > non-tangible effect and
                            > > help to provide hope for a bright future and to give
                            > > these folks
                            > > something to hold onto in their hearts.
                            > >
                            > > Farin

                            > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

                          • msgilliandurham
                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@p...>
                              wrote:

                              > Prince Moose and Princess Bri are going on an expedition into
                              > Slidell this weekend to try to find their house. I wonder if they
                              > could use some extra hands and chainsaws?
                              >
                              > Master William McNaughton, CL

                              Certainly not having to face the devestation alone would be a big
                              help, and it's thoughtful of you to want to help, but they may
                              already have that moral and physical support from someone closer
                              geographically.

                              Also, someone posted to the Tavern Yard? SCA-911? (I think it was
                              either Master Stephen or Master Eric) that if you come down, you
                              should be prepared with enough gas to get back home as well, as
                              every rare drop available is needed on site.

                              I'm also wondering that if gasoline supplies are as low as the
                              reports, that handsaws and axes might be more to the point than
                              chainsaws?

                              I'm wondering if it might be more productive long term (and this is
                              based on what I'm reading on other groups) of starting to put
                              together mundane furniture, beds and chests and chairs and tables
                              and racks for hanging clothes, to be distributed when folks have a
                              place to call home again, or to be distributed to the places where
                              people are living in tents and sleeping on camp cots and on sofas
                              and air mattresses in other people's living rooms.

                              Maybe a furniture weekend at a site in Birmingham or Atlanta is in
                              order? (closer to the disaster area, less gas and less gas$$ to
                              transport) Dunno what the supplies of lumber are like in those
                              areas, it might be better to make the stuff locally and ship it.

                              Just my thoughts -- Gillian Durham
                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                                The original point, however, is valid:

                                We need to hear what THEY say they need, and then try to help. I'm holding
                                onto my resources until I hear from Bri.

                                Master William McNaughton, CL
                                http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                                > Prince Moose and Princess Bri are going on an expedition into
                                > Slidell this weekend to try to find their house. I wonder if they
                                > could use some extra hands and chainsaws?
                                >
                                > Master William McNaughton, CL

                                Certainly not having to face the devestation alone would be a big
                                help, and it's thoughtful of you to want to help, but they may
                                already have that moral and physical support from someone closer
                                geographically.

                                Also, someone posted to the Tavern Yard? SCA-911? (I think it was
                                either Master Stephen or Master Eric) that if you come down, you
                                should be prepared with enough gas to get back home as well, as
                                every rare drop available is needed on site.

                                I'm also wondering that if gasoline supplies are as low as the
                                reports, that handsaws and axes might be more to the point than
                                chainsaws?

                                I'm wondering if it might be more productive long term (and this is
                                based on what I'm reading on other groups) of starting to put
                                together mundane furniture, beds and chests and chairs and tables
                                and racks for hanging clothes, to be distributed when folks have a
                                place to call home again, or to be distributed to the places where
                                people are living in tents and sleeping on camp cots and on sofas
                                and air mattresses in other people's living rooms.

                                Maybe a furniture weekend at a site in Birmingham or Atlanta is in
                                order? (closer to the disaster area, less gas and less gas$$ to
                                transport) Dunno what the supplies of lumber are like in those
                                areas, it might be better to make the stuff locally and ship it.

                                Just my thoughts -- Gillian Durham

                                Yahoo! Groups Links
                              • msgilliandurham
                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                                  Yes, absolutely!

                                  Part of the not-feeling-helpless is being able to control the help
                                  you get and not having help forced on you -- so much of what has
                                  happened has been forced on them ...

                                  Gillian

                                  wrote:
                                  > The original point, however, is valid:
                                  >
                                  > We need to hear what THEY say they need, and then try to help. I'm
                                  holding
                                  > onto my resources until I hear from Bri.
                                  >
                                  > Master William McNaughton, CL
                                  > http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                                • Lew Newby
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                                    Yes I am in contact with them. They are putting together a list of
                                    things and should have more info over the weekend and into next week.

                                    Carolingia has already offered up a set of thrones.

                                    The Royal Heirs will be getting back to me and are certainly
                                    appreciative of the effort everyone is making.

                                    Farin

                                  • Arthur Slaughter
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                                      I do turnedware(wooden) and chests ket me know if my assistance is needed.
                                      THL Finn Mac Art
                                      Northshield