Re: [MedievalSawdust] Helping Gleann Abhann Regalia

  • Lord Robin Gallowglass
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
      On Thursday 01 September 2005 16:56, Lew Newby wrote:
      > I'll be getting that information gathered.

      Let me know, and I'll start contacting some people in my area and see what we
      can come up with.

      I'm thinking that the biggest thing they're gonna need for coronation are
      thrones.

      Robin
    • msgilliandurham
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
        My 2 pence --

        I would say that mundane supplies and SCA supplies are both in
        order, but yes, with the mundane supplies somewhat more important.

        I'm guessing some of these people have no beds to sleep on, no
        chairs to sit on, no tables to eat from, no chests to lstore or to
        lock up what few things they are being given by the refugee
        organizations.

        Perhaps rather than thrones, plain chairs which could also be used
        mundanely would be more welcome in the long run? Preferably folding
        ones, since many will probably be moving multiple times until they
        have a place to settle? Ditto with tables? and the chests should be
        smallish?

        These could be dressed up for SCA events with cushions, tablecloths,
        etc.

        Gillian (the saying is, "If I have *2* loaves of bread, I sell *1*
        and buy hyacinths for the soul" -- so I still eat!) Durham
      • msgilliandurham
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
          Also, Master Stephen has posted to Meridies-ty, in part:

          "Master Erik is coordinating disaster relief and can
          give you some guidance on what is and is not needed. Please contact
          him at irongld (at) bellsouth.net or call
          601-672-7571 (cell) or 337-993-1710 (home) with any questions or
          offers and he will try to match offers of help with those in need."

          and if you cannot reach Master Erik, you can contact Master Stephen:

          Paul Lancaster
          141 Post Hill Rd.
          Brandon, MS 39042
          601-824-3244
          Stephan4 (at) bellsouth.net
        • msgilliandurham
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
            You may also want to join the Yahoo group SCA-911 -- it appears a lot
            of the relief effort is being coordinated there.

            YIS -- Gillian Durham
          • Lew Newby
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
              Actually the SCA-backtonormal group is more in line with this effort.

              msgilliandurham wrote:

              > You may also want to join the Yahoo group SCA-911 -- it appears a lot
              > of the relief effort is being coordinated there.
              >
              > YIS -- Gillian Durham

              Lew Newby Jr.
              dragon@...
              ****** Draco Aliquando Vincent ******
              (At some time the dragon shall conquer)
            • Lew Newby
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
                msgilliandurham wrote:

                > My 2 pence --
                >
                > I would say that mundane supplies and SCA supplies are both in
                > order, but yes, with the mundane supplies somewhat more important.
                >
                > I'm guessing some of these people have no beds to sleep on, no
                > chairs to sit on, no tables to eat from, no chests to lstore or to
                > lock up what few things they are being given by the refugee
                > organizations.

                I agree and nothing says the effort couldn't be extended, I am just
                proposing something to get a movement started.

                With a separate idea I received that suggests a work crew go down south
                and help clear trees in exchange for the fallen timber that could be
                used to make items with. If you had a supply of timber that could be
                milled somehow then making basic furniture pieces for more people
                becomes easier.

                > Perhaps rather than thrones, plain chairs which could also be used
                > mundanely would be more welcome in the long run? Preferably folding
                > ones, since many will probably be moving multiple times until they
                > have a place to settle? Ditto with tables? and the chests should be
                > smallish?

                Nothing we could generate in a short time would be grand, it would be
                functional and beautiful in a simple elegant way. Glastonbury chairs can
                be used as thrones with the correct trappings, folding tables can be
                used for many things and transported easily. Trunks of all sizes could
                be utilized.

                > These could be dressed up for SCA events with cushions, tablecloths,
                > etc.
                >
                > Gillian (the saying is, "If I have *2* loaves of bread, I sell *1*
                > and buy hyacinths for the soul" -- so I still eat!) Durham

                Exactly, the soul of each and every one of those folks needs feeding and
                help from those able to give it. I'm offering something to feed the
                souls of those that can use it in this time.

                Farin

                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
                  The big question is, how many folks are willing to participate in this
                  effort? I would like to get a decent idea soon so plans can be made.

                  Farin

                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
                    On Thursday 01 September 2005 19:54, Lew Newby wrote:
                    > The big question is, how many folks are willing to participate in this
                    > effort? I would like to get a decent idea soon so plans can be made.

                    I'm willing to set up a "satalite" effort out here near Philly, as I can't
                    make it to your location.

                    > Farin

                    Robin
                  • Lew Newby
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
                      Looks like this is getting out and I am getting a couple messages from
                      other locations and I may become the defacto organizer in this effort.
                      Keep me updated and we will see what needs to occur.

                      Currently I have heard the following:
                      "Not all the regalia has been lost. The out going Prince and
                      Princess have their regalia and 1 set of thrones in the north of
                      Louisiana that was untouched by the weather. Lost (most probably) were
                      the Tanist and Tanista coronets (which wouldn't be needed for much
                      longer anyway) and the King and Queens Crowns. I say probably as we do
                      not know how many feet exactly got into the house. We do know with
                      almost certainty that the Heirs thrones are a loss, but we have been
                      gifted with a set from another Kingdom. Also, probably a loss are the
                      wooden chests that the crowns are carried in and the chest feast gear is
                      stored in. What I would like to do is wait until after this weekend
                      when Radu and Bri will try to make their way home. I will also get with
                      others who have lost all (2 Baronies, a Canton, and a Shire), and see
                      what is most needed. Then I can email you with a better list."

                      Carolingia has offered up a set of thrones that are already built and I
                      may be assisting in getting them transported down.

                      Farin

                      Lord Robin Gallowglass wrote:

                      > On Thursday 01 September 2005 19:54, Lew Newby wrote:
                      > > The big question is, how many folks are willing to participate in this
                      > > effort? I would like to get a decent idea soon so plans can be made.
                      >
                      > I'm willing to set up a "satalite" effort out here near Philly, as I
                      > can't
                      > make it to your location.
                      >

                      > > Farin
                      > >

                      > Robin

                      > Medieval and renaissance costume
                      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w1=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w2=Medieval+times&w3=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&c=3&s=99&.sig=HXP-uWkNkVN70w_alkMyyQ>
                      > Medieval times
                      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Medieval+times&w1=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w2=Medieval+times&w3=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&c=3&s=99&.sig=4F-IezHhWKE2LTFcS5Czmw>
                      > Medieval time dinner and tournament
                      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&w1=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w2=Medieval+times&w3=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&c=3&s=99&.sig=GNRomoKKUBV7_ePBIuwSDA>

                      Lew Newby Jr.
                      dragon@...
                      ****** Draco Aliquando Vincent ******
                      (At some time the dragon shall conquer)
                    • Flemish Lady
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                        I second the opinion that the emotional needs be
                        addressed. Glenn Abhann is not just having a
                        coronation, it is their *First Coronation*. To have
                        new regalia for such an occasion, not just stuff
                        cobbled together, would help the birth of this kingdom
                        greatly.

                        Blessings,
                        Marthe Elsbeth of Oak Hill

                        --- Lew Newby <gideon@...> wrote:

                        > I would agree with you in some respect but there are
                        > two aspects to
                        > disaster relief. One is the physical, right now
                        > needs and the other is
                        > emotional. You can provide all the physical right
                        > now needs in the world
                        > but if the emotional part is not addressed then
                        > everything goes for
                        > naught as they lose or never gain hope for a future
                        > in the very time
                        > they need it.
                        >
                        > Providing a hope for the future is paramount in
                        > recovery. Sure I can
                        > provide money, even goods but like in other
                        > disasters that have occurred
                        > that still leaves the contributors and recipients
                        > feeling helpless and
                        > detached. Could I take time off from my job and
                        > drive down and help with
                        > the cleanup. The answer to that is no and not
                        > because I couldn't get the
                        > time off or that I am physically not capable. In a
                        > disaster area only
                        > recognized members of the proper agencies and
                        > companies providing
                        > cleanup efforts are allowed in. So again I am left
                        > feeling helpless to
                        > provide direct assistance.
                        >
                        > So I offer in opportunity for us to address the
                        > non-tangible effect and
                        > help to provide hope for a bright future and to give
                        > these folks
                        > something to hold onto in their hearts.
                        >
                        > Farin

                        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                      • Kristoffer Berglind
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                          Has anybody actually asked _them_ what _they_ want and need?

                          If my home and life was destoyed my historical stuff would be among the
                          last tings i worried about. Even if its cost me some money and a lot of
                          time (all handmade/sewn/forged...) my real life seems a bit more important.

                          Try to contact them and ask before you spend loads of time and money
                          that could be used better ways.

                          Dont want to be rude but this seems to be the wrong forum for this
                          debate. Join SCA-backtonormal or SCA-911 instead.

                          Regards
                          Kristoffer

                        • Flemish Lady
                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                            I'm assuming that Farin is working with Master Erik of
                            Telemark (relief coordinator), Mistress Gwen (the
                            Meridian seneschal), and Master Stephen (Glenn Abhann
                            seneschal) in coordinating what needs to be replaced,
                            etc.

                            Glenn Abhann's first coronation is scheduled for
                            October 1. While it may be delayed, it's still coming
                            a lot faster than those who have been affected can
                            deal with.

                            But perhaps it would be better to take this to
                            SCA-backtonormal or SCA-diaster lists. We don't need
                            to be duplicating efforts.

                            --- Kristoffer Berglind

                            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                              I disagree. This group is equipped with real people with real skills and
                              real tools to make real stuff. This is exactly the forum to discuss this.

                              Prince Moose and Princess Bri are going on an expedition into Slidell this
                              weekend to try to find their house. I wonder if they could use some extra
                              hands and chainsaws?

                              Master William McNaughton, CL
                              http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood
                              Cabinetmaker, AND Tree-Butcher

                              Flemish Lady wrote:

                              > I second the opinion that the emotional needs be
                              > addressed. Glenn Abhann is not just having a
                              > coronation, it is their *First Coronation*. To have
                              > new regalia for such an occasion, not just stuff
                              > cobbled together, would help the birth of this kingdom
                              > greatly.
                              >
                              > Blessings,
                              > Marthe Elsbeth of Oak Hill
                              >
                              > --- Lew Newby <gideon@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > I would agree with you in some respect but there are
                              > > two aspects to
                              > > disaster relief. One is the physical, right now
                              > > needs and the other is
                              > > emotional. You can provide all the physical right
                              > > now needs in the world
                              > > but if the emotional part is not addressed then
                              > > everything goes for
                              > > naught as they lose or never gain hope for a future
                              > > in the very time
                              > > they need it.
                              > >
                              > > Providing a hope for the future is paramount in
                              > > recovery. Sure I can
                              > > provide money, even goods but like in other
                              > > disasters that have occurred
                              > > that still leaves the contributors and recipients
                              > > feeling helpless and
                              > > detached. Could I take time off from my job and
                              > > drive down and help with
                              > > the cleanup. The answer to that is no and not
                              > > because I couldn't get the
                              > > time off or that I am physically not capable. In a
                              > > disaster area only
                              > > recognized members of the proper agencies and
                              > > companies providing
                              > > cleanup efforts are allowed in. So again I am left
                              > > feeling helpless to
                              > > provide direct assistance.
                              > >
                              > > So I offer in opportunity for us to address the
                              > > non-tangible effect and
                              > > help to provide hope for a bright future and to give
                              > > these folks
                              > > something to hold onto in their hearts.
                              > >
                              > > Farin

                              > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

                            • msgilliandurham
                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@p...>
                                wrote:

                                > Prince Moose and Princess Bri are going on an expedition into
                                > Slidell this weekend to try to find their house. I wonder if they
                                > could use some extra hands and chainsaws?
                                >
                                > Master William McNaughton, CL

                                Certainly not having to face the devestation alone would be a big
                                help, and it's thoughtful of you to want to help, but they may
                                already have that moral and physical support from someone closer
                                geographically.

                                Also, someone posted to the Tavern Yard? SCA-911? (I think it was
                                either Master Stephen or Master Eric) that if you come down, you
                                should be prepared with enough gas to get back home as well, as
                                every rare drop available is needed on site.

                                I'm also wondering that if gasoline supplies are as low as the
                                reports, that handsaws and axes might be more to the point than
                                chainsaws?

                                I'm wondering if it might be more productive long term (and this is
                                based on what I'm reading on other groups) of starting to put
                                together mundane furniture, beds and chests and chairs and tables
                                and racks for hanging clothes, to be distributed when folks have a
                                place to call home again, or to be distributed to the places where
                                people are living in tents and sleeping on camp cots and on sofas
                                and air mattresses in other people's living rooms.

                                Maybe a furniture weekend at a site in Birmingham or Atlanta is in
                                order? (closer to the disaster area, less gas and less gas$$ to
                                transport) Dunno what the supplies of lumber are like in those
                                areas, it might be better to make the stuff locally and ship it.

                                Just my thoughts -- Gillian Durham
                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                                  The original point, however, is valid:

                                  We need to hear what THEY say they need, and then try to help. I'm holding
                                  onto my resources until I hear from Bri.

                                  Master William McNaughton, CL
                                  http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                                  > Prince Moose and Princess Bri are going on an expedition into
                                  > Slidell this weekend to try to find their house. I wonder if they
                                  > could use some extra hands and chainsaws?
                                  >
                                  > Master William McNaughton, CL

                                  Certainly not having to face the devestation alone would be a big
                                  help, and it's thoughtful of you to want to help, but they may
                                  already have that moral and physical support from someone closer
                                  geographically.

                                  Also, someone posted to the Tavern Yard? SCA-911? (I think it was
                                  either Master Stephen or Master Eric) that if you come down, you
                                  should be prepared with enough gas to get back home as well, as
                                  every rare drop available is needed on site.

                                  I'm also wondering that if gasoline supplies are as low as the
                                  reports, that handsaws and axes might be more to the point than
                                  chainsaws?

                                  I'm wondering if it might be more productive long term (and this is
                                  based on what I'm reading on other groups) of starting to put
                                  together mundane furniture, beds and chests and chairs and tables
                                  and racks for hanging clothes, to be distributed when folks have a
                                  place to call home again, or to be distributed to the places where
                                  people are living in tents and sleeping on camp cots and on sofas
                                  and air mattresses in other people's living rooms.

                                  Maybe a furniture weekend at a site in Birmingham or Atlanta is in
                                  order? (closer to the disaster area, less gas and less gas$$ to
                                  transport) Dunno what the supplies of lumber are like in those
                                  areas, it might be better to make the stuff locally and ship it.

                                  Just my thoughts -- Gillian Durham

                                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                                • msgilliandurham
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                                    Yes, absolutely!

                                    Part of the not-feeling-helpless is being able to control the help
                                    you get and not having help forced on you -- so much of what has
                                    happened has been forced on them ...

                                    Gillian

                                    wrote:
                                    > The original point, however, is valid:
                                    >
                                    > We need to hear what THEY say they need, and then try to help. I'm
                                    holding
                                    > onto my resources until I hear from Bri.
                                    >
                                    > Master William McNaughton, CL
                                    > http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                                  • Lew Newby
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                                      Yes I am in contact with them. They are putting together a list of
                                      things and should have more info over the weekend and into next week.

                                      Carolingia has already offered up a set of thrones.

                                      The Royal Heirs will be getting back to me and are certainly
                                      appreciative of the effort everyone is making.

                                      Farin

                                    • Arthur Slaughter
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                                        I do turnedware(wooden) and chests ket me know if my assistance is needed.
                                        THL Finn Mac Art
                                        Northshield