Re: [MedievalSawdust] Helping Gleann Abhann Regalia

  • Lew Newby
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
      I can act as the emmisary. This would definitely be part of the long
      term recovery efforts of our friends and those friends we haven't met yet.

      Farin

    • Lord Robin Gallowglass
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
        > What items do we need to make?
        > Thrones, trunks, banner stands, tables, Seat cushions.

        > Master Ian the Fariner, OP
        > Apprentice to Master Charles Oakley, OP OL (He gave me the hero speech
        > two years ago)

        Hey Farin, when is the GA Coronation? I could probably also host some work
        weekends in the East.

        Robin
      • Lew Newby
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
          I'll be getting that information gathered.

          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
            On Thursday 01 September 2005 16:56, Lew Newby wrote:
            > I'll be getting that information gathered.

            Let me know, and I'll start contacting some people in my area and see what we
            can come up with.

            I'm thinking that the biggest thing they're gonna need for coronation are
            thrones.

            Robin
          • msgilliandurham
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
              My 2 pence --

              I would say that mundane supplies and SCA supplies are both in
              order, but yes, with the mundane supplies somewhat more important.

              I'm guessing some of these people have no beds to sleep on, no
              chairs to sit on, no tables to eat from, no chests to lstore or to
              lock up what few things they are being given by the refugee
              organizations.

              Perhaps rather than thrones, plain chairs which could also be used
              mundanely would be more welcome in the long run? Preferably folding
              ones, since many will probably be moving multiple times until they
              have a place to settle? Ditto with tables? and the chests should be
              smallish?

              These could be dressed up for SCA events with cushions, tablecloths,
              etc.

              Gillian (the saying is, "If I have *2* loaves of bread, I sell *1*
              and buy hyacinths for the soul" -- so I still eat!) Durham
            • msgilliandurham
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
                Also, Master Stephen has posted to Meridies-ty, in part:

                "Master Erik is coordinating disaster relief and can
                give you some guidance on what is and is not needed. Please contact
                him at irongld (at) bellsouth.net or call
                601-672-7571 (cell) or 337-993-1710 (home) with any questions or
                offers and he will try to match offers of help with those in need."

                and if you cannot reach Master Erik, you can contact Master Stephen:

                Paul Lancaster
                141 Post Hill Rd.
                Brandon, MS 39042
                601-824-3244
                Stephan4 (at) bellsouth.net
              • msgilliandurham
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
                  You may also want to join the Yahoo group SCA-911 -- it appears a lot
                  of the relief effort is being coordinated there.

                  YIS -- Gillian Durham
                • Lew Newby
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
                    Actually the SCA-backtonormal group is more in line with this effort.

                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
                      msgilliandurham wrote:

                      > My 2 pence --
                      >
                      > I would say that mundane supplies and SCA supplies are both in
                      > order, but yes, with the mundane supplies somewhat more important.
                      >
                      > I'm guessing some of these people have no beds to sleep on, no
                      > chairs to sit on, no tables to eat from, no chests to lstore or to
                      > lock up what few things they are being given by the refugee
                      > organizations.

                      I agree and nothing says the effort couldn't be extended, I am just
                      proposing something to get a movement started.

                      With a separate idea I received that suggests a work crew go down south
                      and help clear trees in exchange for the fallen timber that could be
                      used to make items with. If you had a supply of timber that could be
                      milled somehow then making basic furniture pieces for more people
                      becomes easier.

                      > Perhaps rather than thrones, plain chairs which could also be used
                      > mundanely would be more welcome in the long run? Preferably folding
                      > ones, since many will probably be moving multiple times until they
                      > have a place to settle? Ditto with tables? and the chests should be
                      > smallish?

                      Nothing we could generate in a short time would be grand, it would be
                      functional and beautiful in a simple elegant way. Glastonbury chairs can
                      be used as thrones with the correct trappings, folding tables can be
                      used for many things and transported easily. Trunks of all sizes could
                      be utilized.

                      > These could be dressed up for SCA events with cushions, tablecloths,
                      > etc.
                      >
                      > Gillian (the saying is, "If I have *2* loaves of bread, I sell *1*
                      > and buy hyacinths for the soul" -- so I still eat!) Durham

                      Exactly, the soul of each and every one of those folks needs feeding and
                      help from those able to give it. I'm offering something to feed the
                      souls of those that can use it in this time.

                      Farin

                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
                        The big question is, how many folks are willing to participate in this
                        effort? I would like to get a decent idea soon so plans can be made.

                        Farin

                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
                          On Thursday 01 September 2005 19:54, Lew Newby wrote:
                          > The big question is, how many folks are willing to participate in this
                          > effort? I would like to get a decent idea soon so plans can be made.

                          I'm willing to set up a "satalite" effort out here near Philly, as I can't
                          make it to your location.

                          > Farin

                          Robin
                        • Lew Newby
                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
                            Looks like this is getting out and I am getting a couple messages from
                            other locations and I may become the defacto organizer in this effort.
                            Keep me updated and we will see what needs to occur.

                            Currently I have heard the following:
                            "Not all the regalia has been lost. The out going Prince and
                            Princess have their regalia and 1 set of thrones in the north of
                            Louisiana that was untouched by the weather. Lost (most probably) were
                            the Tanist and Tanista coronets (which wouldn't be needed for much
                            longer anyway) and the King and Queens Crowns. I say probably as we do
                            not know how many feet exactly got into the house. We do know with
                            almost certainty that the Heirs thrones are a loss, but we have been
                            gifted with a set from another Kingdom. Also, probably a loss are the
                            wooden chests that the crowns are carried in and the chest feast gear is
                            stored in. What I would like to do is wait until after this weekend
                            when Radu and Bri will try to make their way home. I will also get with
                            others who have lost all (2 Baronies, a Canton, and a Shire), and see
                            what is most needed. Then I can email you with a better list."

                            Carolingia has offered up a set of thrones that are already built and I
                            may be assisting in getting them transported down.

                            Farin

                            Lord Robin Gallowglass wrote:

                            > On Thursday 01 September 2005 19:54, Lew Newby wrote:
                            > > The big question is, how many folks are willing to participate in this
                            > > effort? I would like to get a decent idea soon so plans can be made.
                            >
                            > I'm willing to set up a "satalite" effort out here near Philly, as I
                            > can't
                            > make it to your location.
                            >

                            > > Farin
                            > >

                            > Robin

                            > Medieval and renaissance costume
                            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w1=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w2=Medieval+times&w3=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&c=3&s=99&.sig=HXP-uWkNkVN70w_alkMyyQ>
                            > Medieval times
                            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Medieval+times&w1=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w2=Medieval+times&w3=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&c=3&s=99&.sig=4F-IezHhWKE2LTFcS5Czmw>
                            > Medieval time dinner and tournament
                            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&w1=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w2=Medieval+times&w3=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&c=3&s=99&.sig=GNRomoKKUBV7_ePBIuwSDA>

                            Lew Newby Jr.
                            dragon@...
                            ****** Draco Aliquando Vincent ******
                            (At some time the dragon shall conquer)
                          • Flemish Lady
                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                              I second the opinion that the emotional needs be
                              addressed. Glenn Abhann is not just having a
                              coronation, it is their *First Coronation*. To have
                              new regalia for such an occasion, not just stuff
                              cobbled together, would help the birth of this kingdom
                              greatly.

                              Blessings,
                              Marthe Elsbeth of Oak Hill

                              --- Lew Newby <gideon@...> wrote:

                              > I would agree with you in some respect but there are
                              > two aspects to
                              > disaster relief. One is the physical, right now
                              > needs and the other is
                              > emotional. You can provide all the physical right
                              > now needs in the world
                              > but if the emotional part is not addressed then
                              > everything goes for
                              > naught as they lose or never gain hope for a future
                              > in the very time
                              > they need it.
                              >
                              > Providing a hope for the future is paramount in
                              > recovery. Sure I can
                              > provide money, even goods but like in other
                              > disasters that have occurred
                              > that still leaves the contributors and recipients
                              > feeling helpless and
                              > detached. Could I take time off from my job and
                              > drive down and help with
                              > the cleanup. The answer to that is no and not
                              > because I couldn't get the
                              > time off or that I am physically not capable. In a
                              > disaster area only
                              > recognized members of the proper agencies and
                              > companies providing
                              > cleanup efforts are allowed in. So again I am left
                              > feeling helpless to
                              > provide direct assistance.
                              >
                              > So I offer in opportunity for us to address the
                              > non-tangible effect and
                              > help to provide hope for a bright future and to give
                              > these folks
                              > something to hold onto in their hearts.
                              >
                              > Farin

                              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                            • Kristoffer Berglind
                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                                Has anybody actually asked _them_ what _they_ want and need?

                                If my home and life was destoyed my historical stuff would be among the
                                last tings i worried about. Even if its cost me some money and a lot of
                                time (all handmade/sewn/forged...) my real life seems a bit more important.

                                Try to contact them and ask before you spend loads of time and money
                                that could be used better ways.

                                Dont want to be rude but this seems to be the wrong forum for this
                                debate. Join SCA-backtonormal or SCA-911 instead.

                                Regards
                                Kristoffer

                              • Flemish Lady
                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                                  I'm assuming that Farin is working with Master Erik of
                                  Telemark (relief coordinator), Mistress Gwen (the
                                  Meridian seneschal), and Master Stephen (Glenn Abhann
                                  seneschal) in coordinating what needs to be replaced,
                                  etc.

                                  Glenn Abhann's first coronation is scheduled for
                                  October 1. While it may be delayed, it's still coming
                                  a lot faster than those who have been affected can
                                  deal with.

                                  But perhaps it would be better to take this to
                                  SCA-backtonormal or SCA-diaster lists. We don't need
                                  to be duplicating efforts.

                                  --- Kristoffer Berglind

                                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                                    I disagree. This group is equipped with real people with real skills and
                                    real tools to make real stuff. This is exactly the forum to discuss this.

                                    Prince Moose and Princess Bri are going on an expedition into Slidell this
                                    weekend to try to find their house. I wonder if they could use some extra
                                    hands and chainsaws?

                                    Master William McNaughton, CL
                                    http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood
                                    Cabinetmaker, AND Tree-Butcher

                                    Flemish Lady wrote:

                                    > I second the opinion that the emotional needs be
                                    > addressed. Glenn Abhann is not just having a
                                    > coronation, it is their *First Coronation*. To have
                                    > new regalia for such an occasion, not just stuff
                                    > cobbled together, would help the birth of this kingdom
                                    > greatly.
                                    >
                                    > Blessings,
                                    > Marthe Elsbeth of Oak Hill
                                    >
                                    > --- Lew Newby <gideon@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > I would agree with you in some respect but there are
                                    > > two aspects to
                                    > > disaster relief. One is the physical, right now
                                    > > needs and the other is
                                    > > emotional. You can provide all the physical right
                                    > > now needs in the world
                                    > > but if the emotional part is not addressed then
                                    > > everything goes for
                                    > > naught as they lose or never gain hope for a future
                                    > > in the very time
                                    > > they need it.
                                    > >
                                    > > Providing a hope for the future is paramount in
                                    > > recovery. Sure I can
                                    > > provide money, even goods but like in other
                                    > > disasters that have occurred
                                    > > that still leaves the contributors and recipients
                                    > > feeling helpless and
                                    > > detached. Could I take time off from my job and
                                    > > drive down and help with
                                    > > the cleanup. The answer to that is no and not
                                    > > because I couldn't get the
                                    > > time off or that I am physically not capable. In a
                                    > > disaster area only
                                    > > recognized members of the proper agencies and
                                    > > companies providing
                                    > > cleanup efforts are allowed in. So again I am left
                                    > > feeling helpless to
                                    > > provide direct assistance.
                                    > >
                                    > > So I offer in opportunity for us to address the
                                    > > non-tangible effect and
                                    > > help to provide hope for a bright future and to give
                                    > > these folks
                                    > > something to hold onto in their hearts.
                                    > >
                                    > > Farin

                                    > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

                                  • msgilliandurham
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                                      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@p...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > Prince Moose and Princess Bri are going on an expedition into
                                      > Slidell this weekend to try to find their house. I wonder if they
                                      > could use some extra hands and chainsaws?
                                      >
                                      > Master William McNaughton, CL

                                      Certainly not having to face the devestation alone would be a big
                                      help, and it's thoughtful of you to want to help, but they may
                                      already have that moral and physical support from someone closer
                                      geographically.

                                      Also, someone posted to the Tavern Yard? SCA-911? (I think it was
                                      either Master Stephen or Master Eric) that if you come down, you
                                      should be prepared with enough gas to get back home as well, as
                                      every rare drop available is needed on site.

                                      I'm also wondering that if gasoline supplies are as low as the
                                      reports, that handsaws and axes might be more to the point than
                                      chainsaws?

                                      I'm wondering if it might be more productive long term (and this is
                                      based on what I'm reading on other groups) of starting to put
                                      together mundane furniture, beds and chests and chairs and tables
                                      and racks for hanging clothes, to be distributed when folks have a
                                      place to call home again, or to be distributed to the places where
                                      people are living in tents and sleeping on camp cots and on sofas
                                      and air mattresses in other people's living rooms.

                                      Maybe a furniture weekend at a site in Birmingham or Atlanta is in
                                      order? (closer to the disaster area, less gas and less gas$$ to
                                      transport) Dunno what the supplies of lumber are like in those
                                      areas, it might be better to make the stuff locally and ship it.

                                      Just my thoughts -- Gillian Durham
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                                        The original point, however, is valid:

                                        We need to hear what THEY say they need, and then try to help. I'm holding
                                        onto my resources until I hear from Bri.

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                                          Yes, absolutely!

                                          Part of the not-feeling-helpless is being able to control the help
                                          you get and not having help forced on you -- so much of what has
                                          happened has been forced on them ...

                                          Gillian

                                          wrote:
                                          > The original point, however, is valid:
                                          >
                                          > We need to hear what THEY say they need, and then try to help. I'm
                                          holding
                                          > onto my resources until I hear from Bri.
                                          >
                                          > Master William McNaughton, CL
                                          > http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                                        • Lew Newby
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                                            Yes I am in contact with them. They are putting together a list of
                                            things and should have more info over the weekend and into next week.

                                            Carolingia has already offered up a set of thrones.

                                            The Royal Heirs will be getting back to me and are certainly
                                            appreciative of the effort everyone is making.

                                            Farin

                                          • Arthur Slaughter
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                                              I do turnedware(wooden) and chests ket me know if my assistance is needed.
                                              THL Finn Mac Art
                                              Northshield