Helping Gleann Abhann Regalia

  • Lew Newby
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
      Greetings folks,
      I having been thinking about how I can help. Gleann Abhann has
      lost ALL of their regalia for going Kingdom. Here is what I propose, I
      would like to help replenish the regalia. In order to do this I would
      need a great deal of assistance.

      So here is the idea:

      I live in Zanesville, OH and I would offer my shop, my house for crash
      space and storage space. I would like to invite anyone willing to come
      here and help for 2 consecutive weekends.

      What we would need; plans, materials, and any tools your willing to
      bring, finishes, any funds willing to purchase additional materials
      needed ( I will be helping with that).

      When: Sept 11& 12 and Sept 17 & 18

      What items do we need to make?
      Thrones, trunks, banner stands, tables, Seat cushions.

      Power Tools I have currently:
      Table Saw, lathe, bandsaw, drill press with mortising attachments,
      circular saw, sawz-all, orbital sander, belt sander, finishing sander,
      router, and drills.

      Hand tools include, chisels, hand saws, hammers, Brace with bits, hand
      planes (#8 joiner and #4 jack planes)

      Another thought would be that any significant others (I realize there
      are ladies on this list) that might be interested in making soft items
      like some garb, cushions, banners, etc. my wife has said she would be
      happy to host that in her sewing room and other areas of the house.

      I have a large house that can accommodate lots of folks if you don't
      mind sharing rooms to sleep in.

      "In this time of need for our extended SCA family there needs to be
      heroes. It is our time to step up and be heroes."

      Master Ian the Fariner, OP
      Apprentice to Master Charles Oakley, OP OL (He gave me the hero speech
      two years ago)

      --
      Lew Newby Jr.
      dragon@...
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
        This sounds like the best idea to help the SCA end of things. It may take
        years for people down there to have "works for the kingdom" come to the top
        of the "to do" lists. Do we have an emmisary(sp) that knows exactly what
        they need?

        James Cunningham
        Who has the wood.
        > I having been thinking about how I can help. Gleann Abhann has
        > lost ALL of their regalia for going Kingdom. Here is what I propose, I
        > would like to help replenish the regalia. In order to do this I would
        > need a great deal of assistance.
        >
        > So here is the idea:
        >
        > I live in Zanesville, OH and I would offer my shop, my house for crash
        > space and storage space. I would like to invite anyone willing to come
        > here and help for 2 consecutive weekends.
        >
        > What we would need; plans, materials, and any tools your willing to
        > bring, finishes, any funds willing to purchase additional materials
        > needed ( I will be helping with that).
        >
        > When: Sept 11& 12 and Sept 17 & 18
        >
        > What items do we need to make?
        > Thrones, trunks, banner stands, tables, Seat cushions.
        >
        > Power Tools I have currently:
        > Table Saw, lathe, bandsaw, drill press with mortising attachments,
        > circular saw, sawz-all, orbital sander, belt sander, finishing sander,
        > router, and drills.
        >
        > Hand tools include, chisels, hand saws, hammers, Brace with bits, hand
        > planes (#8 joiner and #4 jack planes)
        >
        > Another thought would be that any significant others (I realize there
        > are ladies on this list) that might be interested in making soft items
        > like some garb, cushions, banners, etc. my wife has said she would be
        > happy to host that in her sewing room and other areas of the house.
        >
        > I have a large house that can accommodate lots of folks if you don't
        > mind sharing rooms to sleep in.
        >
        > "In this time of need for our extended SCA family there needs to be
        > heroes. It is our time to step up and be heroes."
        >
        > Master Ian the Fariner, OP
        > Apprentice to Master Charles Oakley, OP OL (He gave me the hero speech
        > two years ago)
        >

        > --
        > Lew Newby Jr.
        > dragon@...
        > ****** Draco Aliquando Vincent ******
        > (At some time the dragon shall conquer)
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Siegfried
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
          Wonderful idea.  However, I will echo the sentiments of people on my own Kingdom List.

          These people have not just lost their SCA stuff.  They have lost their entire lives, houses, everything they ever owned.

          I'm sure as they are standing in the wreckage of their home, with nothing left, not knowing where to go, how to move forward, that someone showing up and going:  "Well hey, we've got some regalia for ya" is not the most helpful.

          It's great that you wish to help out.  However, if you truly wish to help, then why not donate your time, money, effort, into helping these people get their real lives back together ...

          the SCA can come much later.

          Siegfried

          On 9/1/05, Lew Newby <gideon@...> wrote:
[...]

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/FXrMlA/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/LmiolB/TM

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          THL Siegfried Sebastian Faust   -   http://crossbows.biz/
          Barony of Highland Foorde   -   Baronial Archery Marshal
          Kingdom of Atlantia   -   Deputy Kingdom Earl Marshal for Target Archery
          http://eliw.com/  -  http://archery.atlantia.sca.org/
        • Lew Newby
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
            I would agree with you in some respect but there are two aspects to
            disaster relief. One is the physical, right now needs and the other is
            emotional. You can provide all the physical right now needs in the world
            but if the emotional part is not addressed then everything goes for
            naught as they lose or never gain hope for a future in the very time
            they need it.

            Providing a hope for the future is paramount in recovery. Sure I can
            provide money, even goods but like in other disasters that have occurred
            that still leaves the contributors and recipients feeling helpless and
            detached. Could I take time off from my job and drive down and help with
            the cleanup. The answer to that is no and not because I couldn't get the
            time off or that I am physically not capable. In a disaster area only
            recognized members of the proper agencies and companies providing
            cleanup efforts are allowed in. So again I am left feeling helpless to
            provide direct assistance.

            So I offer in opportunity for us to address the non-tangible effect and
            help to provide hope for a bright future and to give these folks
            something to hold onto in their hearts.

            Farin

            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
              I can act as the emmisary. This would definitely be part of the long
              term recovery efforts of our friends and those friends we haven't met yet.

              Farin

            • Lord Robin Gallowglass
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
                > What items do we need to make?
                > Thrones, trunks, banner stands, tables, Seat cushions.

                > Master Ian the Fariner, OP
                > Apprentice to Master Charles Oakley, OP OL (He gave me the hero speech
                > two years ago)

                Hey Farin, when is the GA Coronation? I could probably also host some work
                weekends in the East.

                Robin
              • Lew Newby
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
                  I'll be getting that information gathered.

                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
                    On Thursday 01 September 2005 16:56, Lew Newby wrote:
                    > I'll be getting that information gathered.

                    Let me know, and I'll start contacting some people in my area and see what we
                    can come up with.

                    I'm thinking that the biggest thing they're gonna need for coronation are
                    thrones.

                    Robin
                  • msgilliandurham
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
                      My 2 pence --

                      I would say that mundane supplies and SCA supplies are both in
                      order, but yes, with the mundane supplies somewhat more important.

                      I'm guessing some of these people have no beds to sleep on, no
                      chairs to sit on, no tables to eat from, no chests to lstore or to
                      lock up what few things they are being given by the refugee
                      organizations.

                      Perhaps rather than thrones, plain chairs which could also be used
                      mundanely would be more welcome in the long run? Preferably folding
                      ones, since many will probably be moving multiple times until they
                      have a place to settle? Ditto with tables? and the chests should be
                      smallish?

                      These could be dressed up for SCA events with cushions, tablecloths,
                      etc.

                      Gillian (the saying is, "If I have *2* loaves of bread, I sell *1*
                      and buy hyacinths for the soul" -- so I still eat!) Durham
                    • msgilliandurham
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
                        Also, Master Stephen has posted to Meridies-ty, in part:

                        "Master Erik is coordinating disaster relief and can
                        give you some guidance on what is and is not needed. Please contact
                        him at irongld (at) bellsouth.net or call
                        601-672-7571 (cell) or 337-993-1710 (home) with any questions or
                        offers and he will try to match offers of help with those in need."

                        and if you cannot reach Master Erik, you can contact Master Stephen:

                        Paul Lancaster
                        141 Post Hill Rd.
                        Brandon, MS 39042
                        601-824-3244
                        Stephan4 (at) bellsouth.net
                      • msgilliandurham
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
                          You may also want to join the Yahoo group SCA-911 -- it appears a lot
                          of the relief effort is being coordinated there.

                          YIS -- Gillian Durham
                        • Lew Newby
                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
                            Actually the SCA-backtonormal group is more in line with this effort.

                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
                              msgilliandurham wrote:

                              > My 2 pence --
                              >
                              > I would say that mundane supplies and SCA supplies are both in
                              > order, but yes, with the mundane supplies somewhat more important.
                              >
                              > I'm guessing some of these people have no beds to sleep on, no
                              > chairs to sit on, no tables to eat from, no chests to lstore or to
                              > lock up what few things they are being given by the refugee
                              > organizations.

                              I agree and nothing says the effort couldn't be extended, I am just
                              proposing something to get a movement started.

                              With a separate idea I received that suggests a work crew go down south
                              and help clear trees in exchange for the fallen timber that could be
                              used to make items with. If you had a supply of timber that could be
                              milled somehow then making basic furniture pieces for more people
                              becomes easier.

                              > Perhaps rather than thrones, plain chairs which could also be used
                              > mundanely would be more welcome in the long run? Preferably folding
                              > ones, since many will probably be moving multiple times until they
                              > have a place to settle? Ditto with tables? and the chests should be
                              > smallish?

                              Nothing we could generate in a short time would be grand, it would be
                              functional and beautiful in a simple elegant way. Glastonbury chairs can
                              be used as thrones with the correct trappings, folding tables can be
                              used for many things and transported easily. Trunks of all sizes could
                              be utilized.

                              > These could be dressed up for SCA events with cushions, tablecloths,
                              > etc.
                              >
                              > Gillian (the saying is, "If I have *2* loaves of bread, I sell *1*
                              > and buy hyacinths for the soul" -- so I still eat!) Durham

                              Exactly, the soul of each and every one of those folks needs feeding and
                              help from those able to give it. I'm offering something to feed the
                              souls of those that can use it in this time.

                              Farin

                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
                                The big question is, how many folks are willing to participate in this
                                effort? I would like to get a decent idea soon so plans can be made.

                                Farin

                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
                                  On Thursday 01 September 2005 19:54, Lew Newby wrote:
                                  > The big question is, how many folks are willing to participate in this
                                  > effort? I would like to get a decent idea soon so plans can be made.

                                  I'm willing to set up a "satalite" effort out here near Philly, as I can't
                                  make it to your location.

                                  > Farin

                                  Robin
                                • Lew Newby
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
                                    Looks like this is getting out and I am getting a couple messages from
                                    other locations and I may become the defacto organizer in this effort.
                                    Keep me updated and we will see what needs to occur.

                                    Currently I have heard the following:
                                    "Not all the regalia has been lost. The out going Prince and
                                    Princess have their regalia and 1 set of thrones in the north of
                                    Louisiana that was untouched by the weather. Lost (most probably) were
                                    the Tanist and Tanista coronets (which wouldn't be needed for much
                                    longer anyway) and the King and Queens Crowns. I say probably as we do
                                    not know how many feet exactly got into the house. We do know with
                                    almost certainty that the Heirs thrones are a loss, but we have been
                                    gifted with a set from another Kingdom. Also, probably a loss are the
                                    wooden chests that the crowns are carried in and the chest feast gear is
                                    stored in. What I would like to do is wait until after this weekend
                                    when Radu and Bri will try to make their way home. I will also get with
                                    others who have lost all (2 Baronies, a Canton, and a Shire), and see
                                    what is most needed. Then I can email you with a better list."

                                    Carolingia has offered up a set of thrones that are already built and I
                                    may be assisting in getting them transported down.

                                    Farin

                                    Lord Robin Gallowglass wrote:

                                    > On Thursday 01 September 2005 19:54, Lew Newby wrote:
                                    > > The big question is, how many folks are willing to participate in this
                                    > > effort? I would like to get a decent idea soon so plans can be made.
                                    >
                                    > I'm willing to set up a "satalite" effort out here near Philly, as I
                                    > can't
                                    > make it to your location.
                                    >

                                    > > Farin
                                    > >

                                    > Robin

                                    > Medieval and renaissance costume
                                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w1=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w2=Medieval+times&w3=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&c=3&s=99&.sig=HXP-uWkNkVN70w_alkMyyQ>
                                    > Medieval times
                                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Medieval+times&w1=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w2=Medieval+times&w3=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&c=3&s=99&.sig=4F-IezHhWKE2LTFcS5Czmw>
                                    > Medieval time dinner and tournament
                                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&w1=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w2=Medieval+times&w3=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&c=3&s=99&.sig=GNRomoKKUBV7_ePBIuwSDA>

                                    Lew Newby Jr.
                                    dragon@...
                                    ****** Draco Aliquando Vincent ******
                                    (At some time the dragon shall conquer)
                                  • Flemish Lady
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                                      I second the opinion that the emotional needs be
                                      addressed. Glenn Abhann is not just having a
                                      coronation, it is their *First Coronation*. To have
                                      new regalia for such an occasion, not just stuff
                                      cobbled together, would help the birth of this kingdom
                                      greatly.

                                      Blessings,
                                      Marthe Elsbeth of Oak Hill

                                      --- Lew Newby <gideon@...> wrote:

                                      > I would agree with you in some respect but there are
                                      > two aspects to
                                      > disaster relief. One is the physical, right now
                                      > needs and the other is
                                      > emotional. You can provide all the physical right
                                      > now needs in the world
                                      > but if the emotional part is not addressed then
                                      > everything goes for
                                      > naught as they lose or never gain hope for a future
                                      > in the very time
                                      > they need it.
                                      >
                                      > Providing a hope for the future is paramount in
                                      > recovery. Sure I can
                                      > provide money, even goods but like in other
                                      > disasters that have occurred
                                      > that still leaves the contributors and recipients
                                      > feeling helpless and
                                      > detached. Could I take time off from my job and
                                      > drive down and help with
                                      > the cleanup. The answer to that is no and not
                                      > because I couldn't get the
                                      > time off or that I am physically not capable. In a
                                      > disaster area only
                                      > recognized members of the proper agencies and
                                      > companies providing
                                      > cleanup efforts are allowed in. So again I am left
                                      > feeling helpless to
                                      > provide direct assistance.
                                      >
                                      > So I offer in opportunity for us to address the
                                      > non-tangible effect and
                                      > help to provide hope for a bright future and to give
                                      > these folks
                                      > something to hold onto in their hearts.
                                      >
                                      > Farin

                                      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                                    • Kristoffer Berglind
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                                        Has anybody actually asked _them_ what _they_ want and need?

                                        If my home and life was destoyed my historical stuff would be among the
                                        last tings i worried about. Even if its cost me some money and a lot of
                                        time (all handmade/sewn/forged...) my real life seems a bit more important.

                                        Try to contact them and ask before you spend loads of time and money
                                        that could be used better ways.

                                        Dont want to be rude but this seems to be the wrong forum for this
                                        debate. Join SCA-backtonormal or SCA-911 instead.

                                        Regards
                                        Kristoffer

                                      • Flemish Lady
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                                          I'm assuming that Farin is working with Master Erik of
                                          Telemark (relief coordinator), Mistress Gwen (the
                                          Meridian seneschal), and Master Stephen (Glenn Abhann
                                          seneschal) in coordinating what needs to be replaced,
                                          etc.

                                          Glenn Abhann's first coronation is scheduled for
                                          October 1. While it may be delayed, it's still coming
                                          a lot faster than those who have been affected can
                                          deal with.

                                          But perhaps it would be better to take this to
                                          SCA-backtonormal or SCA-diaster lists. We don't need
                                          to be duplicating efforts.

                                          --- Kristoffer Berglind

                                          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                                            I disagree. This group is equipped with real people with real skills and
                                            real tools to make real stuff. This is exactly the forum to discuss this.

                                            Prince Moose and Princess Bri are going on an expedition into Slidell this
                                            weekend to try to find their house. I wonder if they could use some extra
                                            hands and chainsaws?

                                            Master William McNaughton, CL
                                            http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood
                                            Cabinetmaker, AND Tree-Butcher

                                            Flemish Lady wrote:

                                            > I second the opinion that the emotional needs be
                                            > addressed. Glenn Abhann is not just having a
                                            > coronation, it is their *First Coronation*. To have
                                            > new regalia for such an occasion, not just stuff
                                            > cobbled together, would help the birth of this kingdom
                                            > greatly.
                                            >
                                            > Blessings,
                                            > Marthe Elsbeth of Oak Hill
                                            >
                                            > --- Lew Newby <gideon@...> wrote:
                                            >
                                            > > I would agree with you in some respect but there are
                                            > > two aspects to
                                            > > disaster relief. One is the physical, right now
                                            > > needs and the other is
                                            > > emotional. You can provide all the physical right
                                            > > now needs in the world
                                            > > but if the emotional part is not addressed then
                                            > > everything goes for
                                            > > naught as they lose or never gain hope for a future
                                            > > in the very time
                                            > > they need it.
                                            > >
                                            > > Providing a hope for the future is paramount in
                                            > > recovery. Sure I can
                                            > > provide money, even goods but like in other
                                            > > disasters that have occurred
                                            > > that still leaves the contributors and recipients
                                            > > feeling helpless and
                                            > > detached. Could I take time off from my job and
                                            > > drive down and help with
                                            > > the cleanup. The answer to that is no and not
                                            > > because I couldn't get the
                                            > > time off or that I am physically not capable. In a
                                            > > disaster area only
                                            > > recognized members of the proper agencies and
                                            > > companies providing
                                            > > cleanup efforts are allowed in. So again I am left
                                            > > feeling helpless to
                                            > > provide direct assistance.
                                            > >
                                            > > So I offer in opportunity for us to address the
                                            > > non-tangible effect and
                                            > > help to provide hope for a bright future and to give
                                            > > these folks
                                            > > something to hold onto in their hearts.
                                            > >
                                            > > Farin

                                            > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

                                          • msgilliandurham
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                                              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@p...>
                                              wrote:

                                              > Prince Moose and Princess Bri are going on an expedition into
                                              > Slidell this weekend to try to find their house. I wonder if they
                                              > could use some extra hands and chainsaws?
                                              >
                                              > Master William McNaughton, CL

                                              Certainly not having to face the devestation alone would be a big
                                              help, and it's thoughtful of you to want to help, but they may
                                              already have that moral and physical support from someone closer
                                              geographically.

                                              Also, someone posted to the Tavern Yard? SCA-911? (I think it was
                                              either Master Stephen or Master Eric) that if you come down, you
                                              should be prepared with enough gas to get back home as well, as
                                              every rare drop available is needed on site.

                                              I'm also wondering that if gasoline supplies are as low as the
                                              reports, that handsaws and axes might be more to the point than
                                              chainsaws?

                                              I'm wondering if it might be more productive long term (and this is
                                              based on what I'm reading on other groups) of starting to put
                                              together mundane furniture, beds and chests and chairs and tables
                                              and racks for hanging clothes, to be distributed when folks have a
                                              place to call home again, or to be distributed to the places where
                                              people are living in tents and sleeping on camp cots and on sofas
                                              and air mattresses in other people's living rooms.

                                              Maybe a furniture weekend at a site in Birmingham or Atlanta is in
                                              order? (closer to the disaster area, less gas and less gas$$ to
                                              transport) Dunno what the supplies of lumber are like in those
                                              areas, it might be better to make the stuff locally and ship it.

                                              Just my thoughts -- Gillian Durham
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                                                The original point, however, is valid:

                                                We need to hear what THEY say they need, and then try to help. I'm holding
                                                onto my resources until I hear from Bri.

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                                                  Yes, absolutely!

                                                  Part of the not-feeling-helpless is being able to control the help
                                                  you get and not having help forced on you -- so much of what has
                                                  happened has been forced on them ...

                                                  Gillian

                                                  wrote:
                                                  > The original point, however, is valid:
                                                  >
                                                  > We need to hear what THEY say they need, and then try to help. I'm
                                                  holding
                                                  > onto my resources until I hear from Bri.
                                                  >
                                                  > Master William McNaughton, CL
                                                  > http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                                                • Lew Newby
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                                                    Yes I am in contact with them. They are putting together a list of
                                                    things and should have more info over the weekend and into next week.

                                                    Carolingia has already offered up a set of thrones.

                                                    The Royal Heirs will be getting back to me and are certainly
                                                    appreciative of the effort everyone is making.

                                                    Farin

                                                  • Arthur Slaughter
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                                                      I do turnedware(wooden) and chests ket me know if my assistance is needed.
                                                      THL Finn Mac Art
                                                      Northshield