RE: [medievalsawdust] magnolia??

  • Linda Rice
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 28, 2003
      Ralph, that’s a great idea! I happen to live with a chess enthusiast; he
      would much appreciate this effort.
      Do you know where one could get a good picture of all the pieces? I’ve
      seen the set lots of times, but usually only partially complete.

      Thanks!

      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 28, 2003
        Hey, I just did a quick search and found a pretty good picture, at least
        of the fronts. I also found out that the British Museum has a book about
        them, which I may order. Why is it that no one ever wants to show the
        backs of things? ;o>

        Thanks again!

        :Linda:

        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 28, 2003
          Ralph, that is so incredible! You do really nice work. Tell me about the
          Glastonbury chairs. Is that the plans from the “Medieval Furniture”
          book? You did a super job on them. It’s nice to see them actually made,
          and not just by the author. I didn’t realize they folded up so flat.

          Love the cart, too. Do you use it at events to haul your stuff? That
          would be so cool!

          I actually snagged a photo of the chessmen off of eBay. It was the
          largest and clearest one I could find. :o>

          Pax,

          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 28, 2003
            Linda here's a link (rather large one) a friend sent to me some time ago, it's not all of the pieces but enough to get started.

            Also, here's my web page showing some of my stuff including my chess set (a work in progress)

            Happy Cutting!

            Ralph

            For what it's worth-I started my carving/wood working career by carving
            a chess set resembling the Lewis Island set. This set was made of
            magnolia. This is a great wood to start with and makes learning a snap.

            YIS, Ralph (Alfric)

          • Dianne and Greg Stucki
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 29, 2003
              I love the Glastonbaby Chair. What book was this again? These might be a fun
              Christmas gift for my kids!

              Laurensa

              Ralph, that is so incredible! You do really nice work. Tell me about the
              Glastonbury chairs. Is that the plans from the "Medieval Furniture"
              book? You did a super job on them. <<
            • Alfricr
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 30, 2003
                Laurensa,

                The Glastonbaby chair is a modification to the Glastonbury Chair plans in the book entitled Constructing Medieval Furniture by Daniel Diehal published by Stackpole Books.

                The Glastonbaby chair is an approx. 60 % scale version of the origional plans. There are some alterations with the baby chair as it does not fold as the larger versions do.

                Contact me and I will be glad to tell you more about the design.

                Happy carvings,

                HL Alfric
                I love the Glastonbaby Chair. What book was this again? These might be a fun
                Christmas gift for my kids!

                Laurensa

                Ralph, that is so incredible! You do really nice work. Tell me about the
                Glastonbury chairs. Is that the plans from the "Medieval Furniture"
                book? You did a super job on them. <<

              • rmhowe
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 30, 2003
                  Linda Rice wrote:

                  > Ralph, that’s a great idea! I happen to live with a chess enthusiast; he
                  > would much appreciate this effort.
                  > Do you know where one could get a good picture of all the pieces? I’ve
                  > seen the set lots of times, but usually only partially complete.
                  >
                  > Thanks!
                  >
                  > :Linda:

                  I have a little book somewhere on the set specifically.
                  Finding it is problematic presently. Roughly 7000 volumes.
                  I know there are several of them. However, I have not seen one
                  with ALL the pieces in them. They seem to be split between the
                  Museum of Scotland and the British Museum. There were apparently
                  parts of four different sets in the find. Somewhere around 70
                  as I recall. I have a cast resin set which gives me the appearance
                  of the major pieces myself. Other bits appear in Dover Medieval
                  Design books, books on ivory and chessmen.

                  I would like to hear of a book on them that was complete from all
                  four sides myself. One of the figures wears a helmet much different
                  from all the others. Honestly to me it looks very much like a wooden
                  helmet. If it were me I should prefer elm, and quite honestly I think
                  it would provide more protection than most period metal helmets.
                  Grain in elm alternates in different directions with each layer, much
                  like ivory. It is something you'd prefer not to have to split with
                  an axe. Old stories tell of axeheads burned out of it.

                  Taylor, Michael: THE LEWIS CHESSMEN. Publisher: British Museum Press
                  (1991, c1978). 12+ illustrations. 16-page stapled pamphlet.

                  Stratford, Neil: Lewis Chessmen and the Enigma of the Hoard;
                  Softcover, ISBN: 0714105872 Publisher: British Museum Press, $11.95
                  British MUSEUM PRESS 1997; 64pp.

                  Finkel, Irving: The Lewis Chessmen: What Happened to Them; British
                  Museum Publications Ltd; Sept. 1999, ISBN: 0714105929, Paperback,
                  48 pp., $16.95.

                  Magnus
                • rmhowe
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 30, 2003
                    Linda Rice wrote:

                    > Hey, I just did a quick search and found a pretty good picture, at least
                    > of the fronts. I also found out that the British Museum has a book about
                    > them, which I may order. Why is it that no one ever wants to show the
                    > backs of things? ;o>
                    >
                    > Thanks again!
                    >
                    > :Linda:

                    Some of the reverses of the Kings and Queens are in one of the
                    Dover 'Medieval Designs' books. That may be the actual title.
                    It is all line drawings. I have done one carving from the reverse
                    of one of the queens. The one with the crossed wyverns.
                    The pawns that come with the recreated resin sets aren't very
                    interesting. The poor goober that was digging and fell into the
                    chamber containing them thought at first he had entered a fairy
                    realm. This was back about 1828 or so. Makes a good story anyway.

                    Magnus
                  • rmhowe
                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 30, 2003
                      > Alfricr wrote:
                      >
                      > Linda here's a link (rather large one) a friend sent to me some time
                      > ago, it's not all of the pieces but enough to get started.
                      >
                      > http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk/compass/ixbin/hixclient.exe?_IXDB_=compass&_IXSR_=jy1&_IXSS_=_IXMAXHITS_%3d1%26_IXFIRST_%3d1%26_IXtour%3dENC8218%26_IXDB_%3dcompass%26%2524%2bwith%2ball_unique_id_index%2bis%2b%2524%3dOBJ566&_IXFIRST_=1&_IXMAXHITS_=1&_IXSPFX_=graphical/full/lg&_IXimg=ps342892.jpg&_IXtour=ENC8218&submit-button=summary
                      >
                      > Also, here's my web page showing some of my stuff including my chess
                      > set (a work in progress)
                      >
                      > http://home.attbi.com/~blkhrse/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
                      >
                      > Happy Cutting!
                      >
                      > Ralph

                      There are a number of photos in the World of the Vikings DVD that is
                      currently available again from
                      http://www.pastfwrd.demon.co.uk/vikings/index.html. I have the older
                      version without Sagas and Sums which has been added to it. They show
                      the making of a replica cart as it is made right from the trees.
                      There are about four thousand items in it.

                      Magnus