Response to earlier tool question

  • Avery Austringer
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 12, 2005
      I don't have any GOOD source for froe documentation
      other than occasional references.

      Ever think about how lucky we are that Joseph (of "no
      room in the inn, you'll have to sleep in the manger"
      fame) was a carpenter? If he'd been a plowman we'd
      have like 5000 pictures of how to harness an ox.

      Avery
    • Grooby, Peter
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 14, 2005
        > I don't have any GOOD source for froe documentation
        > other than occasional references.
        Any concrete references, earlier than the ones I mentioned previously?

        > Ever think about how lucky we are that Joseph (of "no
        > room in the inn, you'll have to sleep in the manger"
        > fame) was a carpenter? If he'd been a plowman we'd
        > have like 5000 pictures of how to harness an ox.

        I've looked at a bunch of Joseph illustrations with nothing that looks
        anything like a froe, I've also looked at a bunch of Noah's Ark pictures
        with a similar result.

        I am tending to think that they were not commonly used for general
        woodworking in the middle ages.

        Anytime you see wood long pieces of wood being produced it is either
        with a pit-saw or splitting with wedges and then cleaning up the wood
        with an adze.

        The only area I have hoping of seeing a froe illustration is if I can
        find a depiction of bodgers doing wood-turning in the forest.

        Vitale

        This electronic message together with any attachments is confidential. If
        you receive it in error: (i) you must not use, disclose, copy or retain
        it; (ii) please contact the sender immediately by reply email and then
        delete the emails. Views expressed in this email may not be those of the
        Airways Corporation of New Zealand Limited