Re: [MedievalSawdust] Can anyone point me in the direction of...

  • James W. Pratt, Jr.
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 10 8:50 PM
      It is called he Mastermyr find. A good book on it is: The Mastermyr Find" A
      Viking Age Tool Chest from Gotland, by Greta Arwidsson and Gosta Berg.
      ISBN: 0-9650755-1-6. Yes I have the book in my hand do you have a specific
      question?

      James Cunningham
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 11 5:58 AM
        Not at this time. I am beginning my research toward reproducing it and I'm
        sure I'll have questions later. I wish to thank everyone who has responded.

        Lagerstein
      • Dan Baker
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 11 12:32 PM
          It's a lot of fun to make. I did one recently, one tip. If you use
          oak, use white oak rather the red oak. That top is hard enough to
          dish by hand as it is. I used red oak and regreted it.

          -Rhys

          On 8/11/05, ddordway@... <ddordway@...> wrote:
          > Not at this time. I am beginning my research toward reproducing it and I'm
          > sure I'll have questions later. I wish to thank everyone who has responded.
          >
          > Lagerstein

        • Brian Kelly
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 16 12:49 PM
            Dan Baker wrote:
            > It's a lot of fun to make. I did one recently, one tip. If you use
            > oak, use white oak rather the red oak. That top is hard enough to
            > dish by hand as it is. I used red oak and regreted it.
            >
            > -Rhys
            >
            > On 8/11/05, ddordway@... <ddordway@...> wrote:
            >
            >>Not at this time. I am beginning my research toward reproducing it and I'm
            >>sure I'll have questions later. I wish to thank everyone who has responded.
            >>
            >>Lagerstein

            I am not all the way through my backlog of mail yet, but also of
            interest might be this website.

            The Mästermyr Project
            http://www.netlabs.net/~osan/Mastermyr/

            A group of blacksmiths reconstructed the chest, and all the tools found
            inside of it. I think it was an ABANA project, but I could be mistaken.

            -Andronikos
          • Dan Baker
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 17 5:13 AM
              http://www.freewebs.com/lordrhys/Index.html

              Contains my plans for the Mastermyr Tool Chest

              -Rhys

            • ddordway@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 17 5:12 PM
                All the info sent is greatly appreciated. I am still in the planning and
                research phase of my project. I am good friends with a blacksmith in our group.
                I know once I introduce him to this information this will undoubtedly become
                a group project to show at future demos. I will have lots of questions
                throughout this endeavor. My first obstacle is to find the right material in the
                proper dimensions to begin roughing and planing. I do have one question
                concerning the curved lid. Was it carved from square stock or was it formed from an
                outer section of a large oak log? Thanks again for everyone's help and
                interest.

                Lagerstein
              • Dan Baker
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 19 5:36 AM
                  As far as I can tell it was formed from rough square stock. I found
                  the outside to be a simple matter of using a hand plane, quick and
                  easy. It was the inside that took all my time and effort to hand cut.
                  The benifits of using a log for the outer shape are far outweighed by
                  the problems that would cause by the greater chances of warping, and
                  lack of kiln dried wood.

                  -Rhys

                  On 8/17/05, ddordway@... <ddordway@...> wrote:
                  > All the info sent is greatly appreciated. I am still in the planning and
                  > research phase of my project. I am good friends with a blacksmith in our group.
                  > I know once I introduce him to this information this will undoubtedly become
                  > a group project to show at future demos. I will have lots of questions
                  > throughout this endeavor. My first obstacle is to find the right material in the
                  > proper dimensions to begin roughing and planing. I do have one question
                  > concerning the curved lid. Was it carved from square stock or was it formed from an
                  > outer section of a large oak log? Thanks again for everyone's help and
                  > interest.
                  >
                  > Lagerstein
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 27 6:53 PM
                    In reading the Mastermyr Find book ...on page 7 the author calls the lid a
                    plank but from the pictures I cannot tell the direction of the grain. You
                    can riv a plank off the side of a log and end up with a plank that is flat
                    on one side and round on the other.

                    James Cunningham

                  • maf@gleichen.ca
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 28 11:19 AM
                      I have a copy of 'From Viking to Crusader' and one of the artifacts it
                      details is the mastermyr chest. Page 251 artifact #95.

                      I'm looking at a picture of the inside of the lid. I think your right about
                      how it was made. There is a definate series of lines running long wise on
                      the lid bottom, but there is a knot about wide way on the hing side of the
                      lid that runs across the "grain" all the way to the hole in the lid. I think
                      by the picture that the grain is actually a cross section across a bunch of
                      growth rings. The ones in the middle of the lid are closer than the ones at
                      either end.

                      Mark / Cered

                      > In reading the Mastermyr Find book ...on page 7 the author calls the lid
                      > plank but from the pictures I cannot tell the direction of the grain. You
                      > can riv a plank off the side of a log and end up with a plank that is flat
                      > on one side and round on the other.
                      >
                      > James Cunningham

                    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 28 9:18 PM
                        Just from your discription of the lid I would call it a riven plank.

                        Like ones that where made to crate up a viking ship for shipping ....well
                        ones that were left over form making a norse ship.

                        James Cunningham

                      • maf@gleichen.ca
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 29 7:15 AM
                          Re-reading my post now I need to reword something:

                          "I thinkby the picture that the grain is actually a cross section across a
                          bunch of growth rings. The ones in the middle of the lid are closer than the
                          ones at either end."

                          When I side either end I should have said either edge, the 'grain' runs
                          parallel to the long axis of the lid, also in case anyone is interested the
                          "knot" goes across the rings at about a 30 - 40 degree angle. Sorry if I
                          wasn't as clear as I should have been in the original post.

                          Mark / Cered