Re: [MedievalSawdust] Can anyone point me in the direction of...

  • kjworz@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 10, 2005
      Mastermyr Chest. Found in Scandinavia. Sweden, I think. Viking era. There is a good book on it, but google Mastermyr and you get lots of hits.

      --
      -Chris Schwartz
      Silver Spring, MD

      > I am looking for the name of the box that was dug up by some european
      > farmer that was filled with tools. If memory serves, it was claimed
      > to be approxiamately 1000 years old and featured a curved lid. Any
      > help would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Lagerstein
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 10, 2005
        It is called he Mastermyr find. A good book on it is: The Mastermyr Find" A
        Viking Age Tool Chest from Gotland, by Greta Arwidsson and Gosta Berg.
        ISBN: 0-9650755-1-6. Yes I have the book in my hand do you have a specific
        question?

        James Cunningham

      • ddordway@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 11, 2005
          Not at this time. I am beginning my research toward reproducing it and I'm
          sure I'll have questions later. I wish to thank everyone who has responded.

          Lagerstein
        • Dan Baker
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 11, 2005
            It's a lot of fun to make. I did one recently, one tip. If you use
            oak, use white oak rather the red oak. That top is hard enough to
            dish by hand as it is. I used red oak and regreted it.

            -Rhys

            On 8/11/05, ddordway@... <ddordway@...> wrote:
            > Not at this time. I am beginning my research toward reproducing it and I'm
            > sure I'll have questions later. I wish to thank everyone who has responded.
            >
            > Lagerstein

          • Brian Kelly
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 16, 2005
              Dan Baker wrote:
              > It's a lot of fun to make. I did one recently, one tip. If you use
              > oak, use white oak rather the red oak. That top is hard enough to
              > dish by hand as it is. I used red oak and regreted it.
              >
              > -Rhys
              >
              > On 8/11/05, ddordway@... <ddordway@...> wrote:
              >
              >>Not at this time. I am beginning my research toward reproducing it and I'm
              >>sure I'll have questions later. I wish to thank everyone who has responded.
              >>
              >>Lagerstein

              I am not all the way through my backlog of mail yet, but also of
              interest might be this website.

              The Mästermyr Project
              http://www.netlabs.net/~osan/Mastermyr/

              A group of blacksmiths reconstructed the chest, and all the tools found
              inside of it. I think it was an ABANA project, but I could be mistaken.

              -Andronikos
            • Dan Baker
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 17, 2005
                http://www.freewebs.com/lordrhys/Index.html

                Contains my plans for the Mastermyr Tool Chest

                -Rhys

              • ddordway@aol.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 17, 2005
                  All the info sent is greatly appreciated. I am still in the planning and
                  research phase of my project. I am good friends with a blacksmith in our group.
                  I know once I introduce him to this information this will undoubtedly become
                  a group project to show at future demos. I will have lots of questions
                  throughout this endeavor. My first obstacle is to find the right material in the
                  proper dimensions to begin roughing and planing. I do have one question
                  concerning the curved lid. Was it carved from square stock or was it formed from an
                  outer section of a large oak log? Thanks again for everyone's help and
                  interest.

                  Lagerstein
                • Dan Baker
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 19, 2005
                    As far as I can tell it was formed from rough square stock. I found
                    the outside to be a simple matter of using a hand plane, quick and
                    easy. It was the inside that took all my time and effort to hand cut.
                    The benifits of using a log for the outer shape are far outweighed by
                    the problems that would cause by the greater chances of warping, and
                    lack of kiln dried wood.

                    -Rhys

                    On 8/17/05, ddordway@... <ddordway@...> wrote:
                    > All the info sent is greatly appreciated. I am still in the planning and
                    > research phase of my project. I am good friends with a blacksmith in our group.
                    > I know once I introduce him to this information this will undoubtedly become
                    > a group project to show at future demos. I will have lots of questions
                    > throughout this endeavor. My first obstacle is to find the right material in the
                    > proper dimensions to begin roughing and planing. I do have one question
                    > concerning the curved lid. Was it carved from square stock or was it formed from an
                    > outer section of a large oak log? Thanks again for everyone's help and
                    > interest.
                    >
                    > Lagerstein
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 27, 2005
                      In reading the Mastermyr Find book ...on page 7 the author calls the lid a
                      plank but from the pictures I cannot tell the direction of the grain. You
                      can riv a plank off the side of a log and end up with a plank that is flat
                      on one side and round on the other.

                      James Cunningham

                    • maf@gleichen.ca
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 28, 2005
                        I have a copy of 'From Viking to Crusader' and one of the artifacts it
                        details is the mastermyr chest. Page 251 artifact #95.

                        I'm looking at a picture of the inside of the lid. I think your right about
                        how it was made. There is a definate series of lines running long wise on
                        the lid bottom, but there is a knot about wide way on the hing side of the
                        lid that runs across the "grain" all the way to the hole in the lid. I think
                        by the picture that the grain is actually a cross section across a bunch of
                        growth rings. The ones in the middle of the lid are closer than the ones at
                        either end.

                        Mark / Cered

                        > In reading the Mastermyr Find book ...on page 7 the author calls the lid
                        > plank but from the pictures I cannot tell the direction of the grain. You
                        > can riv a plank off the side of a log and end up with a plank that is flat
                        > on one side and round on the other.
                        >
                        > James Cunningham

                      • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 28, 2005
                          Just from your discription of the lid I would call it a riven plank.

                          Like ones that where made to crate up a viking ship for shipping ....well
                          ones that were left over form making a norse ship.

                          James Cunningham

                        • maf@gleichen.ca
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 29, 2005
                            Re-reading my post now I need to reword something:

                            "I thinkby the picture that the grain is actually a cross section across a
                            bunch of growth rings. The ones in the middle of the lid are closer than the
                            ones at either end."

                            When I side either end I should have said either edge, the 'grain' runs
                            parallel to the long axis of the lid, also in case anyone is interested the
                            "knot" goes across the rings at about a 30 - 40 degree angle. Sorry if I
                            wasn't as clear as I should have been in the original post.

                            Mark / Cered