RE: [MedievalSawdust] Can anyone point me in the direction of...

  • Arthur Slaughter
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 10, 2005
      The mastermyer Chest, found on Gotland
      Finn

    • kjworz@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 10, 2005
        Mastermyr Chest. Found in Scandinavia. Sweden, I think. Viking era. There is a good book on it, but google Mastermyr and you get lots of hits.

        --
        -Chris Schwartz
        Silver Spring, MD

        > I am looking for the name of the box that was dug up by some european
        > farmer that was filled with tools. If memory serves, it was claimed
        > to be approxiamately 1000 years old and featured a curved lid. Any
        > help would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Lagerstein
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • James W. Pratt, Jr.
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 10, 2005
          It is called he Mastermyr find. A good book on it is: The Mastermyr Find" A
          Viking Age Tool Chest from Gotland, by Greta Arwidsson and Gosta Berg.
          ISBN: 0-9650755-1-6. Yes I have the book in my hand do you have a specific
          question?

          James Cunningham

        • ddordway@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 11, 2005
            Not at this time. I am beginning my research toward reproducing it and I'm
            sure I'll have questions later. I wish to thank everyone who has responded.

            Lagerstein
          • Dan Baker
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 11, 2005
              It's a lot of fun to make. I did one recently, one tip. If you use
              oak, use white oak rather the red oak. That top is hard enough to
              dish by hand as it is. I used red oak and regreted it.

              -Rhys

              On 8/11/05, ddordway@... <ddordway@...> wrote:
              > Not at this time. I am beginning my research toward reproducing it and I'm
              > sure I'll have questions later. I wish to thank everyone who has responded.
              >
              > Lagerstein

            • Brian Kelly
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 16, 2005
                Dan Baker wrote:
                > It's a lot of fun to make. I did one recently, one tip. If you use
                > oak, use white oak rather the red oak. That top is hard enough to
                > dish by hand as it is. I used red oak and regreted it.
                >
                > -Rhys
                >
                > On 8/11/05, ddordway@... <ddordway@...> wrote:
                >
                >>Not at this time. I am beginning my research toward reproducing it and I'm
                >>sure I'll have questions later. I wish to thank everyone who has responded.
                >>
                >>Lagerstein

                I am not all the way through my backlog of mail yet, but also of
                interest might be this website.

                The Mästermyr Project
                http://www.netlabs.net/~osan/Mastermyr/

                A group of blacksmiths reconstructed the chest, and all the tools found
                inside of it. I think it was an ABANA project, but I could be mistaken.

                -Andronikos
              • Dan Baker
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 17, 2005
                  http://www.freewebs.com/lordrhys/Index.html

                  Contains my plans for the Mastermyr Tool Chest

                  -Rhys

                • ddordway@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 17, 2005
                    All the info sent is greatly appreciated. I am still in the planning and
                    research phase of my project. I am good friends with a blacksmith in our group.
                    I know once I introduce him to this information this will undoubtedly become
                    a group project to show at future demos. I will have lots of questions
                    throughout this endeavor. My first obstacle is to find the right material in the
                    proper dimensions to begin roughing and planing. I do have one question
                    concerning the curved lid. Was it carved from square stock or was it formed from an
                    outer section of a large oak log? Thanks again for everyone's help and
                    interest.

                    Lagerstein
                  • Dan Baker
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 19, 2005
                      As far as I can tell it was formed from rough square stock. I found
                      the outside to be a simple matter of using a hand plane, quick and
                      easy. It was the inside that took all my time and effort to hand cut.
                      The benifits of using a log for the outer shape are far outweighed by
                      the problems that would cause by the greater chances of warping, and
                      lack of kiln dried wood.

                      -Rhys

                      On 8/17/05, ddordway@... <ddordway@...> wrote:
                      > All the info sent is greatly appreciated. I am still in the planning and
                      > research phase of my project. I am good friends with a blacksmith in our group.
                      > I know once I introduce him to this information this will undoubtedly become
                      > a group project to show at future demos. I will have lots of questions
                      > throughout this endeavor. My first obstacle is to find the right material in the
                      > proper dimensions to begin roughing and planing. I do have one question
                      > concerning the curved lid. Was it carved from square stock or was it formed from an
                      > outer section of a large oak log? Thanks again for everyone's help and
                      > interest.
                      >
                      > Lagerstein
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 27, 2005
                        In reading the Mastermyr Find book ...on page 7 the author calls the lid a
                        plank but from the pictures I cannot tell the direction of the grain. You
                        can riv a plank off the side of a log and end up with a plank that is flat
                        on one side and round on the other.

                        James Cunningham

                      • maf@gleichen.ca
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 28, 2005
                          I have a copy of 'From Viking to Crusader' and one of the artifacts it
                          details is the mastermyr chest. Page 251 artifact #95.

                          I'm looking at a picture of the inside of the lid. I think your right about
                          how it was made. There is a definate series of lines running long wise on
                          the lid bottom, but there is a knot about wide way on the hing side of the
                          lid that runs across the "grain" all the way to the hole in the lid. I think
                          by the picture that the grain is actually a cross section across a bunch of
                          growth rings. The ones in the middle of the lid are closer than the ones at
                          either end.

                          Mark / Cered

                          > In reading the Mastermyr Find book ...on page 7 the author calls the lid
                          > plank but from the pictures I cannot tell the direction of the grain. You
                          > can riv a plank off the side of a log and end up with a plank that is flat
                          > on one side and round on the other.
                          >
                          > James Cunningham

                        • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 28, 2005
                            Just from your discription of the lid I would call it a riven plank.

                            Like ones that where made to crate up a viking ship for shipping ....well
                            ones that were left over form making a norse ship.

                            James Cunningham

                          • maf@gleichen.ca
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 29, 2005
                              Re-reading my post now I need to reword something:

                              "I thinkby the picture that the grain is actually a cross section across a
                              bunch of growth rings. The ones in the middle of the lid are closer than the
                              ones at either end."

                              When I side either end I should have said either edge, the 'grain' runs
                              parallel to the long axis of the lid, also in case anyone is interested the
                              "knot" goes across the rings at about a 30 - 40 degree angle. Sorry if I
                              wasn't as clear as I should have been in the original post.

                              Mark / Cered