Can anyone point me in the direction of...

  • Sir Karl von Lagerstein
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 9, 2005
      I am looking for the name of the box that was dug up by some european
      farmer that was filled with tools. If memory serves, it was claimed
      to be approxiamately 1000 years old and featured a curved lid. Any
      help would be greatly appreciated.

      Lagerstein
    • Thorolfr inn smithr
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 9, 2005
        Mastermyr chest

        -Thorolfr inn smithr.

        Sir Karl von Lagerstein wrote:
        > I am looking for the name of the box that was dug up by some european
        > farmer that was filled with tools. If memory serves, it was claimed
        > to be approxiamately 1000 years old and featured a curved lid. Any
        > help would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Lagerstein
      • Arthur Slaughter
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 10, 2005
          The mastermyer Chest, found on Gotland
          Finn

        • kjworz@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 10, 2005
            Mastermyr Chest. Found in Scandinavia. Sweden, I think. Viking era. There is a good book on it, but google Mastermyr and you get lots of hits.

            --
            -Chris Schwartz
            Silver Spring, MD

            > I am looking for the name of the box that was dug up by some european
            > farmer that was filled with tools. If memory serves, it was claimed
            > to be approxiamately 1000 years old and featured a curved lid. Any
            > help would be greatly appreciated.
            >
            > Lagerstein
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 10, 2005
              It is called he Mastermyr find. A good book on it is: The Mastermyr Find" A
              Viking Age Tool Chest from Gotland, by Greta Arwidsson and Gosta Berg.
              ISBN: 0-9650755-1-6. Yes I have the book in my hand do you have a specific
              question?

              James Cunningham

            • ddordway@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 11, 2005
                Not at this time. I am beginning my research toward reproducing it and I'm
                sure I'll have questions later. I wish to thank everyone who has responded.

                Lagerstein
              • Dan Baker
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 11, 2005
                  It's a lot of fun to make. I did one recently, one tip. If you use
                  oak, use white oak rather the red oak. That top is hard enough to
                  dish by hand as it is. I used red oak and regreted it.

                  -Rhys

                  On 8/11/05, ddordway@... <ddordway@...> wrote:
                  > Not at this time. I am beginning my research toward reproducing it and I'm
                  > sure I'll have questions later. I wish to thank everyone who has responded.
                  >
                  > Lagerstein

                • Brian Kelly
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 16, 2005
                    Dan Baker wrote:
                    > It's a lot of fun to make. I did one recently, one tip. If you use
                    > oak, use white oak rather the red oak. That top is hard enough to
                    > dish by hand as it is. I used red oak and regreted it.
                    >
                    > -Rhys
                    >
                    > On 8/11/05, ddordway@... <ddordway@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >>Not at this time. I am beginning my research toward reproducing it and I'm
                    >>sure I'll have questions later. I wish to thank everyone who has responded.
                    >>
                    >>Lagerstein

                    I am not all the way through my backlog of mail yet, but also of
                    interest might be this website.

                    The Mästermyr Project
                    http://www.netlabs.net/~osan/Mastermyr/

                    A group of blacksmiths reconstructed the chest, and all the tools found
                    inside of it. I think it was an ABANA project, but I could be mistaken.

                    -Andronikos
                  • Dan Baker
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 17, 2005
                      http://www.freewebs.com/lordrhys/Index.html

                      Contains my plans for the Mastermyr Tool Chest

                      -Rhys

                    • ddordway@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 17, 2005
                        All the info sent is greatly appreciated. I am still in the planning and
                        research phase of my project. I am good friends with a blacksmith in our group.
                        I know once I introduce him to this information this will undoubtedly become
                        a group project to show at future demos. I will have lots of questions
                        throughout this endeavor. My first obstacle is to find the right material in the
                        proper dimensions to begin roughing and planing. I do have one question
                        concerning the curved lid. Was it carved from square stock or was it formed from an
                        outer section of a large oak log? Thanks again for everyone's help and
                        interest.

                        Lagerstein
                      • Dan Baker
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 19, 2005
                          As far as I can tell it was formed from rough square stock. I found
                          the outside to be a simple matter of using a hand plane, quick and
                          easy. It was the inside that took all my time and effort to hand cut.
                          The benifits of using a log for the outer shape are far outweighed by
                          the problems that would cause by the greater chances of warping, and
                          lack of kiln dried wood.

                          -Rhys

                          On 8/17/05, ddordway@... <ddordway@...> wrote:
                          > All the info sent is greatly appreciated. I am still in the planning and
                          > research phase of my project. I am good friends with a blacksmith in our group.
                          > I know once I introduce him to this information this will undoubtedly become
                          > a group project to show at future demos. I will have lots of questions
                          > throughout this endeavor. My first obstacle is to find the right material in the
                          > proper dimensions to begin roughing and planing. I do have one question
                          > concerning the curved lid. Was it carved from square stock or was it formed from an
                          > outer section of a large oak log? Thanks again for everyone's help and
                          > interest.
                          >
                          > Lagerstein
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 27, 2005
                            In reading the Mastermyr Find book ...on page 7 the author calls the lid a
                            plank but from the pictures I cannot tell the direction of the grain. You
                            can riv a plank off the side of a log and end up with a plank that is flat
                            on one side and round on the other.

                            James Cunningham

                          • maf@gleichen.ca
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 28, 2005
                              I have a copy of 'From Viking to Crusader' and one of the artifacts it
                              details is the mastermyr chest. Page 251 artifact #95.

                              I'm looking at a picture of the inside of the lid. I think your right about
                              how it was made. There is a definate series of lines running long wise on
                              the lid bottom, but there is a knot about wide way on the hing side of the
                              lid that runs across the "grain" all the way to the hole in the lid. I think
                              by the picture that the grain is actually a cross section across a bunch of
                              growth rings. The ones in the middle of the lid are closer than the ones at
                              either end.

                              Mark / Cered

                              > In reading the Mastermyr Find book ...on page 7 the author calls the lid
                              > plank but from the pictures I cannot tell the direction of the grain. You
                              > can riv a plank off the side of a log and end up with a plank that is flat
                              > on one side and round on the other.
                              >
                              > James Cunningham

                            • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 28, 2005
                                Just from your discription of the lid I would call it a riven plank.

                                Like ones that where made to crate up a viking ship for shipping ....well
                                ones that were left over form making a norse ship.

                                James Cunningham

                              • maf@gleichen.ca
                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 29, 2005
                                  Re-reading my post now I need to reword something:

                                  "I thinkby the picture that the grain is actually a cross section across a
                                  bunch of growth rings. The ones in the middle of the lid are closer than the
                                  ones at either end."

                                  When I side either end I should have said either edge, the 'grain' runs
                                  parallel to the long axis of the lid, also in case anyone is interested the
                                  "knot" goes across the rings at about a 30 - 40 degree angle. Sorry if I
                                  wasn't as clear as I should have been in the original post.

                                  Mark / Cered