Re: [MedievalSawdust] hinge help

  • Thorolfr inn smithr
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 8 1:09 PM
      Nice chest. ;)

      Try "European Hinges"

      -Thorolfr

      Schuster, Robert L. wrote:
      > Howdy medieval woodworker folks
      >
      > I have a dilemma
      > I built a chest/bench that hides a cooler this weekend
      > Pics at
      > http://www.vikingsna.org/temp/cooler/DSCN1370.JPG
      >
      > http://www.vikingsna.org/temp/cooler/DSCN1371.JPG
      >
      > It will eventually have two side boards that will mortise and tenon on
      > These will either be Gokstad style dragon heads or simple ravens as
      > armrests.
      > I need to seal up the foam liner yet but I am looking at several methods
      > before determining which is the best
      >
      > This project was inspired by my daughters toy box btw;)
      > http://www.vikingsna.org/temp/cooler/DSCN1373.JPG
      > http://www.vikingsna.org/temp/cooler/DSCN1374.JPG
      >
      > Anyway, I want the fact that this is a cooler to remain hidden as much
      > as possible so I am trying to hide the hinges on the inside but none of
      > the hinges (standard hinges available at Lowe's) I messed with this
      > weekend would suit my needs.
      >
      > I fear I may need a specialty hinge but I have no idea what these may be
      > called.
      > Any assistance in the matter would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Halv
      > amateur woodworker
    • Trevor Payne
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 8 1:50 PM
        Try these:
        http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=40647&cat=3,41241
        http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=40245&cat=3,41241,41265

        Aiden

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 8 6:28 PM
          Nah, skip the hinge. Just set the lid in place. I had a guy staring
          at one of my boxes for three minutes trying to see the hinge. There
          was none :-)

          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Schuster, Robert L."
          <SchusterRL@u...> wrote:
          > Howdy medieval woodworker folks
          >
          > I have a dilemma
          >
          > Anyway, I want the fact that this is a cooler to remain hidden as much
          > as possible so I am trying to hide the hinges on the inside but none of
          > the hinges (standard hinges available at Lowe's) I messed with this
          > weekend would suit my needs.
        • James W. Pratt, Jr.
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 8 6:42 PM
            A lot of people are at Pennsic  for the next two weeks and you might want to repost when they get back.

            For now ...you could use leather hinges rivited on.  Yoo can make strap hinges out of brass or iron and rivit them on.  Use three two at the ends and one in the middle if it will be big enough to sit two. Why do you need to seal the foam? just make a hole so the water will drain off. Other wise find a plastic box that will fill the interior.

            James Cunningham
            I built a chest/bench that hides a cooler this weekend
            Pics at

            It will eventually have two side boards that will mortise and tenon on
            These will either be Gokstad style dragon heads or simple ravens as armrests.
            I need to seal up the foam liner yet but I am looking at several methods before determining which is the best

            This project was inspired by my daughters toy box btw;)

            Anyway, I want the fact that this is a cooler to remain hidden as much as possible so I am trying to hide the hinges on the inside but none of the hinges (standard hinges available at Lowe's) I messed with this weekend would suit my needs.

            I fear I may need a specialty hinge but I have no idea what these may be called.
            Any assistance in the matter would be greatly appreciated.

            Halv
            amateur woodworker

          • Schuster, Robert L.
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 9 7:06 AM
              Since the lid will be supported on each side and in the middle, the hinges shouldn't bear any load so this should be ok.

              Anyone think differently?

              Halv