Re: Question on drinking vessel finish and pyrography

  • Ralph Lindberg
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 2005
      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Copernicus Skygazer
      <muck@f...> wrote:
      > I'm making a copy of one of the drinking vessels from the Sutton Hoo
      > Ship Burial out of Maple burl, and was wondering, what, if any finishes
      > were used historically to finish such an item?

      The problem is, finishes don't last, actually -knowing- what they
      used is, well, tough.
      If you do a search of this groups archives on "" "salad oil" finish
      "" you will see a discusion we had last April. Where we talked about
      Olive Oil (I tried it, didn't like it) and Walnut Oil (and maybe others)

      Personally, for food surfaces I use modern. I do a buffed oil
      (Danish) exterior and a food-safe poly interior. That way the user
      never has to worry about if the food/drink will pickup anything from
      the bowl. Remember that there people that are alergic to nut oils

      > Any references would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Oh, and while I have a couple of minor references, any good ones for
      > pyrography (aka poker work) in the medieval period would be greatly
      > appreciated.

      If I recall correctly there is something in the standard "English
      Oak Furniture" book (that most of us appear to have)

      A further really good refence you might want to find is York Trust
      Book "Craft, Industry and Everyday Life: Wood and Woodworking in
      Anglo-Scandinavian and Medieval York" ISBN 1 902771 10 9
      Lots and lots of good period turning info there.

      TTFN
      Ralg
      AnTir