Re: planned projects and construction methods

  • vinlandar
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 16, 2002
      --- In medievalsawdust@y..., Scott Lane <scotty@o...> wrote:
      > > I have been requested to do some hinges for a few local
      people
      > :) Let me know what kind you need?
      >
      > Aodhfin

      Ahodfin,

      Thanks, that is a generous offer. I have contacted a blacksmith in
      the SCA who has done some nice forged cooking forks for me before,
      and he is researching the chest and possible hinges.

      -Charlie
    • Helen Schultz
      Message 2 of 18 , May 11, 2009
        These aren't small box hinges, but since we were on the subject, I thought I'd share...

        ~~ Katarina Helene

        Message 3 of 18 , May 11, 2009

          Here’s a good resource for generic “old” hinges.  They are mass-produced out of mild steel for the most part.  They are not authentic in many ways, but they pass the Conan Test  (10 foot rule) and are excellent for “utility camp boxes.”  Their best feature is that they are cheap, at between $7.00 (US) to $24 (US) a pair.   You will want to look at the categories labeled “Antique Steel Hinges,” “Hand Forged Hinges,” “Equal Strap Hinges,” “Unequal Strap Hinges,” “Small Equal Decorative Hinges” and “Folding Leaf Hinges.”  Many of them are similar in general appearance to the examples in Chinnery and at the Cloisters in NYC.

          http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=41262&cat=3,41241

          Will