Pole Followup

  • Siegfried
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 12, 2005
      Thanks for all the advice on the poles ...

      But now I have another question.

      I do want to do one of these options, but want to make sure it works,
      and is solid.

      I also want it to last and last and last.

      So, I'd love to do it in something like oak. But the price is prohibitive.

      Right now I'm looking at:

      Poplar 3x3 - $60 for the ridge alone
      Pine 4x4 - approx $25 for the ridge

      The price difference there is hard to ignore.

      Oh, a final question. Should I stick with the tried/true - Metal
      spikes to hold the legs to the ridge? Or do you think that being
      fancier ... ie, cutting mortise/tenon sockets, would be a nice way to
      go. (I only worry that without glue, that the tenons might break off.
      So they'd definately be 'hefty' tenons, but still ...

      Siegfried

    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 13, 2005
        Ash! Cheaper than Oak neally as strong but lighter. Twice as strong as
        poplar, three time as strong as pine. Find a local saw mill get it in the
        rough and wet it will be more flexible but will be stronger and half the
        price.

        James Cunningham
        Blessed with a sawmill covered in 144 board feet of clear, walnut drying.

        > Thanks for all the advice on the poles ...
        >
        > But now I have another question.
        >
        > I do want to do one of these options, but want to make sure it works,
        > and is solid.
        >
        > I also want it to last and last and last.
        >
        > So, I'd love to do it in something like oak. But the price is
        prohibitive.

        > Right now I'm looking at:
        >
        > Poplar 3x3 - $60 for the ridge alone
        > Pine 4x4 - approx $25 for the ridge
        >
        > The price difference there is hard to ignore.
        >
        > Oh, a final question. Should I stick with the tried/true - Metal
        > spikes to hold the legs to the ridge? Or do you think that being
        > fancier ... ie, cutting mortise/tenon sockets, would be a nice way to
        > go. (I only worry that without glue, that the tenons might break off.
        > So they'd definately be 'hefty' tenons, but still ...
        >
        > Siegfried
        >
        > --

      • Mary Taran
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 13, 2005
          At 04:31 PM 7/13/2005, you wrote:

          Ash! Cheaper than Oak neally as strong but lighter.  Twice as strong as
          poplar, three time as strong as pine.  Find a local saw mill get it in the
          rough and wet it will be more flexible but will be stronger and half the
          price.

          James Cunningham
          Blessed with a sawmill covered in 144 board feet of clear, walnut drying.

          Not sure of how long ash will be cheaper than oak, because of the emerald ash borer.  Millions of ash trees have been killed by this invader.  See http://www.emeraldashborer.info/

          And to think that ash was introduced to the US to deal with the death of elm trees, from Dutch elm disease.

          Mary Taran
        • Siegfried
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 13, 2005
            At least around here, Ash is much more expensive ...

            Like around $6 a bdft for 8/4 ... versus $4-5 a bdft for red oak 8/4

            On 7/13/05, James W. Pratt, Jr. <cunning@...> wrote:
            > Ash! Cheaper than Oak neally as strong but lighter. Twice as strong as
            > poplar, three time as strong as pine. Find a local saw mill get it in the
            > rough and wet it will be more flexible but will be stronger and half the
            > price.
            >
            > James Cunningham
            > Blessed with a sawmill covered in 144 board feet of clear, walnut drying.

          • ewdysar
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 14, 2005
              Ash is still cheaper than oak for me as of last week (July 9 2005),
              I'm in So Cal. I agree that it's better for this suggested use.

              Eirikr Mjoksiglandi
              Ulfsvikings, Barony of Angels, Caid

              > Not sure of how long ash will be cheaper than oak, because of the
              emerald
              > ash borer. Millions of ash trees have been killed by this invader.
              See
              > http://www.emeraldashborer.info/
              >
              > And to think that ash was introduced to the US to deal with the
              death of
              > elm trees, from Dutch elm disease.
              >
              > Mary Taran
            • Ralph Lindberg
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 18, 2005
                IMO, weight and price should be seconary issues. Strength should be
                the major issue. I would go with the strongest wood (per price/weight)
                that you can get. Which might would be Ash or Elm (Chinese Elm is
                about the only commercial choice, although I have some 70 year-down
                American in my shop, recovered from an old photo printer)

                Ralg
                AnTir