Re: [MedievalSawdust] Pavilion Poles & Timber-framing Scarf Joints

  • Joseph Hayes
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 11, 2005
      > A) Any reason any of you can see to do one, versus the other?
      > Besides the fact that the bottom one seems to be quite common in
      > timber framing, whereas I can't see any references to the Norm joint
      > anywhere ... except the show where he made it in an arbor, and the
      > show where he 'discovered it', used in building a house.

      You may want to check out "Encyclopedia of Wood Joints" by Wolfram
      Graubner
      (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/156158004X/qid=1121103159/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-7024256-7427945?v=glance&s=books).
      He has a few of these types of joints and might provide some
      additional alternatives.

      > B) Followup. My previous ridge was a 2x6 (pine), vertical, and held
      > up fine. Cept for the bad joinery in the middle which is what
      > failed. I'm wondering how well this techniques will work in 2x6
      > stock, as opposed to a 4x4, which seems to be more 'what they were
      > built for', ie, joining 'hefty stuff'.

      Are you planning to use a center pole?

      Ulrich

      http://auctions.yahoo.com/
    • maf@gleichen.ca
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 11, 2005
        If you want more wood joints there are a ton in the back of 'English
        Historic Carpenty' by Cecil A. Hewett.

        Mark

        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 11, 2005
          The only thing I could see is that the multiple wedged [a] design doesn't rely on a single wedge point to stay tight.   Assuming that you're NOT running a center pole...  any wind along the ridge line could theoretically flex the joint and loosen the wedges... on a single wedge system [b]...  I don't know HOW critical this is... but its something to think about.   Ulrich's observation about 'joining' hefty stuff' is well taken...  a 4x4 has more surface area (width v. length) and deeper wedge pockets...    what MIGHT be helpful is to use a small sheet of tin or brass on either end of the scraf joint to form a 'pocket' for the tongues...   could add to the *appearance* [shiny brass is always nice]... and reduce the risk of the lateral movement that might loosen the wedges...

           ___________________________________
                /
                ---[]---[]---[]---
          _______________________/___________

          ___________________________________
             !  / !            !     !

             !  --![]---[]---[]!--   !
          ___!____!____________!_/___!_______

          ... just my two pence...
          Chas.

        • Siegfried
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 11, 2005
            > > B) Followup. My previous ridge was a 2x6 (pine), vertical, and held
            > > up fine. Cept for the bad joinery in the middle which is what
            > > failed. I'm wondering how well this techniques will work in 2x6
            > > stock, as opposed to a 4x4, which seems to be more 'what they were
            > > built for', ie, joining 'hefty stuff'.
            >
            > Are you planning to use a center pole?
            >
            > Ulrich

            No ... It's a walltent ... 8' peak, 14.5' ridge

            My previous poles (which lasted a good 3-4 years of Pennsic Abuse,
            plus other uses), were 2x6 8'-ish uprights ...

            And the 14.5' 2x6 ridge. Joined in the middle with a half-lap joint
            for about 4' ... and with 4 hefty bolts holding the lap together.

            What finally broke was one of the laps 'split off' down the length of
            the ridge (diagonally though) ... given they were only 3/4" thick.
            Of course, it happened when I 'dropped' the pole *sigh*

            However, until that it worked fine for years. So no, I don't plan on
            using a center pole, and do want a joint that will work well without
            one.

            Siegfried
          • Siegfried
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 11, 2005
              On 7/11/05, James Winkler <jrwinkler@...> wrote:
              > The only thing I could see is that the multiple wedged [a] design doesn't
              > rely on a single wedge point to stay tight. Assuming that you're NOT
              > running a center pole... any wind along the ridge line could theoretically
              > flex the joint and loosen the wedges... on a single wedge system [b]... I
              > don't know HOW critical this is... but its something to think about.

              Hrmmm, well, I think the idea is that once edged, that it can't really
              flex, since the tongues are tight in the pockets. But the point in
              taken.

              Personally I really liked the concept of the 'Norm' method ... though
              it's kinda a cross between a half-lap and a scarf.

              Which is what got me to thinking. Given that, I wonder if it's 'less
              strong', since you will have to take (for example) that 4x4, and turn
              it into 2 2x4's for the interlocking-ness

              Whereas the true scarf version, you don't really have that, you have
              thicker wood the entire length, and only at 'one point', do you have
              only 2 2x4's widths.

              I also found it odd that Norm's joint, isn't mentioned on any of the
              Timber Framing sites, yet they all mention the scarf. Almost as if
              there is something inherantly wrong with that concept, which the
              Timber framers know about.

              Siegfried

            • James Winkler
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 11, 2005
                I note in your previous post that the ridge poll split down the length...  a 'brass pocket' would also re-inforce the ridgepole along the grain run if it were 'wrapped' around each end... and thereby reduce the splitting possibility...

                I've also seen a scarf joint that goes something like this:

                ------\---------------=---/----------------
                          \              O       /
                A          \                    /           B
                             \    O           /
                ----------\----------/---------------------
                1           2a             1a             2

                Basically A overlaps B  from 1a down the length of 1
                            B overlaps A  from 2a down the length of 2

                these are 'half lap' scarfs that are either wedge fastened or bolted through the holes...  as this is a ridge pole...  the bearing area (the diagonals) have long and broad shoulders for bearing the weight...    the half lapping handles any lateral stresses...   With properly constructed wedges and wedge pockets this could draw the shoulder joints up nice and tight...  except for the thickness of the boards (which might be a bit thin...)  ... you could even drive tapered pins (one from each side) into slightly offset holes to draw the joint together...

                Not as elegant as some of the other designs... but simple to construct and bearing along the entire width of the beam... baring and warpage in the laps..

                ... just a thought...

                Chas.
              • Joseph Hayes
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 11, 2005
                  >> Are you planning to use a center pole?
                  >
                  > No ... It's a walltent ... 8' peak, 14.5' ridge

                  You can still have a center pole. I have a 10x16 wall tent with 2
                  ridge poles and three uprights made from standard 2x4s (painted). It's
                  nice to have something in the center of the room to hang stuff from.

                  Ulrich

                  http://auctions.yahoo.com/
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 11, 2005
                    In that it was a joint
                    > that disassembled
                    > easily, and just 'held itself together'. No bolts,
                    > no nothing.

                    What about twisting forces?

                    __________________________________
                    Yahoo! Mail for Mobile
                    http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 11, 2005
                      \[shiny brass is always
                      > nice]...

                      As long as you do not go back to buying
                      gold spray paint by the case Charles....

                      http://auctions.yahoo.com/
                    • Siegfried
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 11, 2005
                        Yes, I could.

                        My point was. No, I don't want ;) It would get in the way with the
                        layout that we prefer (and our huge mucking bed)

                        Siegfried

                        On 7/11/05, Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@...> wrote:

                        > >> Are you planning to use a center pole?
                        > >
                        > > No ... It's a walltent ... 8' peak, 14.5' ridge
                        >
                        > You can still have a center pole. I have a 10x16 wall tent with 2
                        > ridge poles and three uprights made from standard 2x4s (painted). It's
                        > nice to have something in the center of the room to hang stuff from.
                        >
                        > Ulrich

                      • Siegfried
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 11, 2005
                          If you look at those designed, they are meant to not come apart via
                          twisting either. They are actually rather ingenious I think ... The
                          only way that they could come apart, in practice, is via 'perfect
                          lateral movement' ... any amount of twist or pressure on the joint
                          itself, just binds it tight.

                          Now, not saying that the wood might not decide to crack itself open
                          ... but, still ;)

                          Siegfried

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 11, 2005

                            > What finally broke was one of the laps 'split off'
                            > down the length of
                            > the ridge (diagonally though) ... given they were
                            > only 3/4" thick.
                            > Of course, it happened when I 'dropped' the pole
                            > *sigh*

                            If I'm understanding the place it broke....

                            ---------------------
                            xxxxxxx----------
                            -----------

                            My father taught me a trick that he used
                            in the reserves...

                            Take a 1/4" bolt like a long rivet and put it
                            through the board just before the lap. Get one
                            long enough to cutt off the threads and peen the
                            end over a washer like a rivet. It will add lots
                            of strenght to it.

                            the 'I' is the bolt.....

                            -------I----------- --I-------
                            I --------- -------- I
                            -------I-- ----------I-------

                            __________________________________
                            Yahoo! Mail
                          • James Winkler
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 11, 2005
                              That would take 'real brass'... ;-S   [Hey... looks good from 10 feet or so!!!!]
                              Chas.

                              \[shiny brass is always
                              > nice]...

                              As long as you do not go back to buying
                              gold spray paint by the case Charles....

                            • ewdysar
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 12, 2005
                                I believe that I have seen examples of the "Norm" joint in the
                                Gamble House in Pasadena, a historical Greene and Greene Craftsman
                                mansion. The house also contains examples of the scarf joints
                                shown. The Norm joint was used in various spots in the interior,
                                with exotic woods and master quality detail. The scarf joints were
                                in the roof structure along with other timber frame joints, more
                                structural than show.

                                Eric, aka Eirikr

                                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Siegfried

                              • Chris Larsson (Hrelgar)
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 12, 2005
                                  I've been pondering this all day. On the surface it would seem to me
                                  that the norm joint would perform better with downward pressure
                                  (assuming beam is horizontal) Since there's more wood available (half
                                  of the beam) in the hook portion of the joint.

                                  But then I noticed that the block in the timber frame joint is
                                  actually a wedge and is canted. During the assembly the wedge is
                                  hammered in, driving the pieces together, and would result in a
                                  tighter joint. Norm's relies on well cut, matching surfaces.

                                  Also, I'd speculate that the timber frame joint may make assembly
                                  easier. Remember, this would be used on large beams. So the beams
                                  could be hoisted into place, and supported by an upright from below
                                  and hooked together (where the wedge will be eventually driven in).
                                  Then the uprights (which presumably this is being used to bridge
                                  between), can be drawn together (via ropes/pulleys or whatever) and
                                  the joint would be drawn together, sliding along the canted portion of
                                  the joint. Then finally the wedge would be hammered in to hold in place.

                                  I have no timber frame experience, so my description is pure conjecture.

                                  So, I'd guess that Norm's joint might actually be better for your
                                  application, since there'd be more wood available to support the joint
                                  with downward force. I was thinking that one could actually make the
                                  blocks be wedge shaped parallelograms (i.e. a rectangle on one end and
                                  a parallelogram on the other) which would force the 2 beams closer
                                  together during assembly.

                                  I was also thinking that you could wrap the hooked portion of the
                                  joint tightly with cord rather than metal. Just an alternative that
                                  would accomplish the same thing.

                                  Chris

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 13, 2005
                                    It's been my experience that butt joints and scotch tape will work in calm
                                    weather. It's when the wind starts to pick up that things get exciting.
                                    Neither of these joints do if for me when I think of pitching my pavilion at
                                    the Lilies War, where occasional gusts of 30 mph are thought of as "breezy."
                                    How are these things going to hold up with the side-ways forces that pop
                                    back and forth?

                                    Master Will
                                    http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                                    I've been pondering this all day. On the surface it would seem to me
                                    that the norm joint would perform better with downward pressure
                                    (assuming beam is horizontal) Since there's more wood available (half
                                    of the beam) in the hook portion of the joint.

                                    But then I noticed that the block in the timber frame joint is
                                    actually a wedge and is canted. During the assembly the wedge is
                                    hammered in, driving the pieces together, and would result in a
                                    tighter joint. Norm's relies on well cut, matching surfaces.

                                    Also, I'd speculate that the timber frame joint may make assembly
                                    easier. Remember, this would be used on large beams. So the beams
                                    could be hoisted into place, and supported by an upright from below
                                    and hooked together (where the wedge will be eventually driven in).
                                    Then the uprights (which presumably this is being used to bridge
                                    between), can be drawn together (via ropes/pulleys or whatever) and
                                    the joint would be drawn together, sliding along the canted portion of
                                    the joint. Then finally the wedge would be hammered in to hold in place.

                                    I have no timber frame experience, so my description is pure conjecture.

                                    So, I'd guess that Norm's joint might actually be better for your
                                    application, since there'd be more wood available to support the joint
                                    with downward force. I was thinking that one could actually make the
                                    blocks be wedge shaped parallelograms (i.e. a rectangle on one end and
                                    a parallelogram on the other) which would force the 2 beams closer
                                    together during assembly.

                                    I was also thinking that you could wrap the hooked portion of the
                                    joint tightly with cord rather than metal. Just an alternative that
                                    would accomplish the same thing.

                                    Chris

                                    > > A) Any reason any of you can see to do one, versus the other?
                                    > Besides
                                    > > the fact that the bottom one seems to be quite common in timber
                                    > > framing, whereas I can't see any references to the Norm joint
                                    > anywhere
                                    > > ... except the show where he made it in an arbor, and the show
                                    > where
                                    > > he 'discovered it', used in building a house.

                                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                                  • Siegfried
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 13, 2005
                                      Ahh, yes, that's it. The Gamble house. It was an episode where Norm
                                      visited the Gamble house and saw the joint there. Then he in a later
                                      episode made gazebo/type thing, using that joint to hook long cross
                                      pieces together.

                                      Thanks, that had been bugging me.

                                      Siegfried