Re: wood comparison questions

  • Ralph Lindberg
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 8 5:52 PM
      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Lew Newby <gideon@n...> wrote:
      > I have turned all three, walnut, ash, and alder. Walnut is beautiful
      and
      > works well. Ash also works well on the lathe, to give a good
      > representative use for turned ash just take a look at wood baseball
      > bats. Alder is MUCH softer than the other two and has a tendency to rip
      > out if your not very careful on a lathe.

      I'll echo that, Alder is just above pine in my least favorite woods.

      Although I have been coming to dislike "splated" anything (and the
      soft spots it can have) almost as much.

      Ralg
      AnTir
    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 13 1:48 PM
        Cherry and Maple make nice wheels. Both are close grained  woods and spin well.  And I am not a wood turner, but just cut 144 board foot of no knot black walnut.

        James Cunningham