[Fwd: [SCA-AS] Stefan's Florilegium article for July]

  • rmhowe
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2005
      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: [SCA-AS] Stefan's Florilegium article for July
      Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 01:26:11 -0500
      From: Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous@...>
      To: SCA-Arts-Sciences maillist <artssciences@...>,
      Middlebridge (via Kahlen) <KAHLENROSE@...>, "West Kingdom, Oertha
      (via Baron Khevron)" <khevron@...>, Middlebridge (via
      Ranvaig) <ranvaig@...>, Outlands Chroniclers maillist
      Outlands <chroniclers@...>, Meridies maillist (via
      Kestrel) <kestrel@...>, Trimaris mailist (via Jacquetta Grimaldi)
      <jacquetta@...>, "West, Atenveldt maillists (via Baroness
      Christy)" <baronesschristy@...>, Outlands maillist (via Mirhaxa)
      <mirhaxa@...>
      CC: StefanliRous@...

      Greetings to the Gentles of the Known World,

      Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for the month of July,
      detailing what is new in the Florilegium this month.

      Last month, when I sent that month's article to the mail lists, I
      mentioned that I was looking for a job as an Electronics Engineer. I
      want to thank those of you who emailed me and offered support and
      suggestions and to mention that I started what looks to be a wonderful
      job at Celestica, designing server computers for IBM, earlier this
      week. That is one of the reasons I'm a few days late getting this
      article to the lists.

      I'm also looking for someone to act as my representative for the Middle
      Kingdom. The main thing I need is someone to forward this monthly
      article to that kingdom's mail list, as it doesn't seem to be getting
      to that list, since I'm getting bounce messages. I'd actually like to
      get two volunteers so I have a backup for this.

      And lastly, if anyone has any suggestions, comments or criticisms about
      the Florilegium please feel free to send them to me. Also, if find a
      bad link in the Florilegium, please let me know. Sometimes a bad link
      has been there for months, yet if I know about them, I can often fix
      them the day I'm notified.

      Thanks,
      Stefan

      ---
      A Blending of the Past and Present

      Over the past sixteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been
      collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
      lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
      this information available to others, I have placed this information in
      a series of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

      I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article
      that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me
      for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for more details.

      I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping
      me maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials,
      editing and web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more
      details.

      For those who would like to help support the Florilegium project in
      another way, I have added a PayPal donation button on the top page of
      the site. Any donations, while not tax deductible, do help pay the
      overhead costs of keeping the site running.

      THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

      Here are the new files for this month:
      In the ANIMALS section:
      Beekeeping-AS-art "Beekeeping in Anglo-Saxon/Norman England"
      by Baroness Morgan of Anglesey.
      In the BEVERAGES section:
      Ale-a-Beer-lnks Links to info on medieval ales and beers
      by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
      In the CELEBRATIONS AND EVENTS section:
      Spring-Celeb-lnks Links to medieval Spring Celebrations
      by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
      In the CHILDREN section:
      p-rcipes-chld-art Recipes from Mistress Christianna MacGrain’s
      pamphlet on period dishes for child cooks.
      In the FEASTS section:
      14thC-Kitchen-art "The Fourteenth Century Kitchen - A Guided
      Tour" by Baroness Minowara Kiritsubo (known
      as Kiri).
      high-alt-ckng-msg Cooking medieval food and feasts at high
      altitudes.
      In the FOOD-MEATS section:
      stufed-pltry-msg Period stuffed poultry recipes.
      In the PERFORMANCE ARTS section:
      Icelndic-ptry-art Icelandic Poetry. "The Basics of the
      Dróttkvætt" by Lord Toki Redbeard.
      In the PERSONAL CARE section:
      Medvl-bathng-lnks Links to info on medieval bathing
      by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.

      Here are just some of the updated files, usually those with the largest
      amounts of new material:
      bookbinding-msg Binding and covering books in period style.
      fd-Anglo-Saxn-msg Food of Anglo-Saxon England. References.
      fd-Byzantine-msg Food of medieval Byzantine. References.
      fd-Germany-msg Medieval and Period German food. Cookbooks.
      fd-Iceland-msg Food of medieval Iceland. Recipes.
      fd-Lw-Cntries-msg Period food of the Low Countries.
      fd-New-World-msg 16th C. food of and from the New World.
      fd-Poland-msg Food of period Poland. References.
      fd-Spain-msg Food of medieval Spain. Cookbooks.
      peasants-msg Peasants in period and SCA. peasant personas
      writing-inst-msg Writing instruments other than the quill.

      Since many of you will probably be going to Pennsic this coming August,
      here is a sampling of some of the files in the PENNSIC section:
      Eatng-Pennsic-art "Eating in (Period) Style at Pennsic" by
      Lord Bogdan de la Brasov, CW.
      Fire-Book-art Baron Durr's Guide to Safe Fire Use.
      New-2-Pennsic-msg Information for those new to Pennsic.
      Pennsic-Prep-art "A Newcomer's Guide for Pre-Pennsic Prep"
      by Lady Meliora Leuedai de Ardescote.
      P-tale-MWIFO-art Making Wrought Iron from Ore at Pennsic 24.
      (humorous)
      ---
      Copyright 2005, Mark S. Harris.
      Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if
      the contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the
      publication. Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.

      <end>
      --------
      Mark S. Harris Austin, Texas
      StefanliRous@...