Re: [MedievalSawdust] Digest Number 782

  • Craig Robert Pierpont
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8 9:16 AM
      Ash.
      Craig Robert

      medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      There are 6 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. RE: Apple Press in Jersey
      From: "Terafan Greydragon"
      2. wood comparison questions
      From: "matchstc"
      3. Re: wood comparison questions
      From: Joseph Hayes
      4. Re: wood comparison questions
      From: Tim Bray
      5. Re: wood comparison questions
      From: "James Winkler"
      6. Re: wood comparison questions
      From: Lew Newby

      Message: 1
      Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 22:43:20 +0100
      From: "Terafan Greydragon"
      Subject: RE: Apple Press in Jersey

      Greetings all from Terafan,

      Julian mentioned that the island of Jersey has a 17th century farm.
      Since I was in Jersey over Memorial Day weekend and went to Hamptonne, I
      have done a quick job of putting up a few of the pictures I took at
      Hamptonne, especially the cider press.

      They can be seen at http://www.greydragon.org/trips/Jersey2005/index.html

      respectfully,
      Terafan

      Master Rhys Terafan Greydragon terafan@...
      Brewer, tent and furniture maker, and other things I can't remember...

      Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 14:34:56 -0000
      From: "matchstc"
      Subject: wood comparison questions

      Greetings good folks

      I come to you with a query. I'm looking at doing a new project (A
      spinning wheel) while perusing my local wood emporium they weren't wel
      stocked with my first choice (walnut) BUT

      they did have goodly stocks of Ash and Alder. I figured if anyone
      could give me good advice it would be you folks.

      so what comparisons, suggestions, input etc can you give me.

      The project btw is a late period Italian Spinning wheel and while
      I've done some research theres not a lot of direct items to compare.

      cya
      mighel of Calontir

      Message: 3
      Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 08:49:47 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Joseph Hayes
      Subject: Re: wood comparison questions

      I'd vote ash. Traditionally, ash has been a good wood for the lathe
      and many spinning wheel parts are turned. I'm making one for my wife
      for Christmas and that's what I plan to use.

      Ulrich

      http://mail.yahoo.com

      Message: 4
      Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 08:11:49 -0700
      From: Tim Bray

      Walnut has recently become fashionable again, and supplies are a little
      uneven. You should be able to find it by shopping around, but it's going
      to be expensive, especially for the clear straight-grained material you
      will need.

      Ash would be a good choice, I think. It's plentiful and inexpensive, and
      you should have no difficulty finding straight-grained stock for your
      spindles. I'm not a turner, though, so I have no idea how well it
      turns. It is fairly easy to dye, if you want to try to match the color of
      walnut. It is fairly coarse-grained, compared to walnut, but in my
      experience it smooths out well with hand tools or sandpaper.

      Don't know much about Alder - can't help there.

      Cheers,
      Colin

      Albion Works
      Furniture and Accessories
      For the Medievalist!
      http://www.albionworks.net
      http://www.albionworks.com

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 5
      Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 13:06:02 -0500
      From: "James Winkler"

      Ditto...
      Chas.

      =====================

      I'd vote ash. Traditionally, ash has been a good wood for the lathe
      and many spinning wheel parts are turned. I'm making one for my wife
      for Christmas and that's what I plan to use.

      Ulrich

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 6
      Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 18:33:24 -0400
      From: Lew Newby

      I have turned all three, walnut, ash, and alder. Walnut is beautiful and
      works well. Ash also works well on the lathe, to give a good
      representative use for turned ash just take a look at wood baseball
      bats. Alder is MUCH softer than the other two and has a tendency to rip
      out if your not very careful on a lathe. I have good luck in staining
      alder but it still imparts a slightly red hue into the final look but
      maybe that is just me.

      matchstc wrote:

      > Greetings good folks
      >
      > I come to you with a query. I'm looking at doing a new project (A
      > spinning wheel) while perusing my local wood emporium they weren't wel
      > stocked with my first choice (walnut) BUT
      >
      > they did have goodly stocks of Ash and Alder. I figured if anyone
      > could give me good advice it would be you folks.
      >
      > so what comparisons, suggestions, input etc can you give me.
      >
      > The project btw is a late period Italian Spinning wheel and while
      > I've done some research theres not a lot of direct items to compare.
      >
      > cya
      > mighel of Calontir

      > Service .

      Lew Newby Jr.