Re: [MedievalSawdust] wood comparison questions

  • Lew Newby
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 7, 2005
      I have turned all three, walnut, ash, and alder. Walnut is beautiful and
      works well. Ash also works well on the lathe, to give a good
      representative use for turned ash just take a look at wood baseball
      bats. Alder is MUCH softer than the other two and has a tendency to rip
      out if your not very careful on a lathe. I have good luck in staining
      alder but it still imparts a slightly red hue into the final look but
      maybe that is just me.

      matchstc wrote:

      > Greetings good folks
      >
      > I come to you with a query. I'm looking at doing a new project (A
      > spinning wheel) while perusing my local wood emporium they weren't wel
      > stocked with my first choice (walnut) BUT
      >
      > they did have goodly stocks of Ash and Alder. I figured if anyone
      > could give me good advice it would be you folks.
      >
      > so what comparisons, suggestions, input etc can you give me.
      >
      > The project btw is a late period Italian Spinning wheel and while
      > I've done some research theres not a lot of direct items to compare.
      >
      > cya
      > mighel of Calontir

      Lew Newby Jr.
      dragon@...
      ****** Draco Aliquando Vincent ******
      (At some time the dragon shall conquer)
    • Ralph Lindberg
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 8, 2005
        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Lew Newby <gideon@n...> wrote:
        > I have turned all three, walnut, ash, and alder. Walnut is beautiful
        and
        > works well. Ash also works well on the lathe, to give a good
        > representative use for turned ash just take a look at wood baseball
        > bats. Alder is MUCH softer than the other two and has a tendency to rip
        > out if your not very careful on a lathe.

        I'll echo that, Alder is just above pine in my least favorite woods.

        Although I have been coming to dislike "splated" anything (and the
        soft spots it can have) almost as much.

        Ralg
        AnTir
      • James W. Pratt, Jr.
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 13, 2005
          Cherry and Maple make nice wheels. Both are close grained  woods and spin well.  And I am not a wood turner, but just cut 144 board foot of no knot black walnut.

          James Cunningham