Re: [MedievalSawdust] wood comparison questions

  • James Winkler
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 7, 2005
      Ditto...
      Chas.

      =====================

      I'd vote ash.  Traditionally, ash has been a good wood for the lathe
      and many spinning wheel parts are turned.  I'm making one for my wife
      for Christmas and that's what I plan to use.

      Ulrich

    • Lew Newby
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 7, 2005
        I have turned all three, walnut, ash, and alder. Walnut is beautiful and
        works well. Ash also works well on the lathe, to give a good
        representative use for turned ash just take a look at wood baseball
        bats. Alder is MUCH softer than the other two and has a tendency to rip
        out if your not very careful on a lathe. I have good luck in staining
        alder but it still imparts a slightly red hue into the final look but
        maybe that is just me.

        matchstc wrote:

        > Greetings good folks
        >
        > I come to you with a query. I'm looking at doing a new project (A
        > spinning wheel) while perusing my local wood emporium they weren't wel
        > stocked with my first choice (walnut) BUT
        >
        > they did have goodly stocks of Ash and Alder. I figured if anyone
        > could give me good advice it would be you folks.
        >
        > so what comparisons, suggestions, input etc can you give me.
        >
        > The project btw is a late period Italian Spinning wheel and while
        > I've done some research theres not a lot of direct items to compare.
        >
        > cya
        > mighel of Calontir

        Lew Newby Jr.
        dragon@...
        ****** Draco Aliquando Vincent ******
        (At some time the dragon shall conquer)
      • Ralph Lindberg
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 8, 2005
          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Lew Newby <gideon@n...> wrote:
          > I have turned all three, walnut, ash, and alder. Walnut is beautiful
          and
          > works well. Ash also works well on the lathe, to give a good
          > representative use for turned ash just take a look at wood baseball
          > bats. Alder is MUCH softer than the other two and has a tendency to rip
          > out if your not very careful on a lathe.

          I'll echo that, Alder is just above pine in my least favorite woods.

          Although I have been coming to dislike "splated" anything (and the
          soft spots it can have) almost as much.

          Ralg
          AnTir
        • James W. Pratt, Jr.
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 13, 2005
            Cherry and Maple make nice wheels. Both are close grained  woods and spin well.  And I am not a wood turner, but just cut 144 board foot of no knot black walnut.

            James Cunningham