Re: [MedievalSawdust] wood comparison questions

  • Tim Bray
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 7, 2005
      Walnut has recently become fashionable again, and supplies are a little uneven.  You should be able to find it by shopping around, but it's going to be expensive, especially for the clear straight-grained material you will need.

      Ash would be a good choice, I think.  It's plentiful and inexpensive, and you should have no difficulty finding straight-grained stock for your spindles.  I'm not a turner, though, so I have no idea how well it turns.  It is fairly easy to dye, if you want to try to match the color of walnut.  It is fairly coarse-grained, compared to walnut, but in my experience it smooths out well with hand tools or sandpaper.

      Don't know much about Alder - can't help there.

      Cheers,
      Colin

      Albion Works
      Furniture and Accessories
      For the Medievalist!
    • James Winkler
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 7, 2005
        Ditto...
        Chas.

        =====================

        I'd vote ash.  Traditionally, ash has been a good wood for the lathe
        and many spinning wheel parts are turned.  I'm making one for my wife
        for Christmas and that's what I plan to use.

        Ulrich

      • Lew Newby
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 7, 2005
          I have turned all three, walnut, ash, and alder. Walnut is beautiful and
          works well. Ash also works well on the lathe, to give a good
          representative use for turned ash just take a look at wood baseball
          bats. Alder is MUCH softer than the other two and has a tendency to rip
          out if your not very careful on a lathe. I have good luck in staining
          alder but it still imparts a slightly red hue into the final look but
          maybe that is just me.

          matchstc wrote:

          > Greetings good folks
          >
          > I come to you with a query. I'm looking at doing a new project (A
          > spinning wheel) while perusing my local wood emporium they weren't wel
          > stocked with my first choice (walnut) BUT
          >
          > they did have goodly stocks of Ash and Alder. I figured if anyone
          > could give me good advice it would be you folks.
          >
          > so what comparisons, suggestions, input etc can you give me.
          >
          > The project btw is a late period Italian Spinning wheel and while
          > I've done some research theres not a lot of direct items to compare.
          >
          > cya
          > mighel of Calontir

          Lew Newby Jr.
          dragon@...
          ****** Draco Aliquando Vincent ******
          (At some time the dragon shall conquer)
        • Ralph Lindberg
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 8, 2005
            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Lew Newby <gideon@n...> wrote:
            > I have turned all three, walnut, ash, and alder. Walnut is beautiful
            and
            > works well. Ash also works well on the lathe, to give a good
            > representative use for turned ash just take a look at wood baseball
            > bats. Alder is MUCH softer than the other two and has a tendency to rip
            > out if your not very careful on a lathe.

            I'll echo that, Alder is just above pine in my least favorite woods.

            Although I have been coming to dislike "splated" anything (and the
            soft spots it can have) almost as much.

            Ralg
            AnTir
          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 13, 2005
              Cherry and Maple make nice wheels. Both are close grained  woods and spin well.  And I am not a wood turner, but just cut 144 board foot of no knot black walnut.

              James Cunningham