wood comparison questions

  • matchstc
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 7, 2005
      Greetings good folks

      I come to you with a query. I'm looking at doing a new project (A
      spinning wheel) while perusing my local wood emporium they weren't wel
      stocked with my first choice (walnut) BUT

      they did have goodly stocks of Ash and Alder. I figured if anyone
      could give me good advice it would be you folks.

      so what comparisons, suggestions, input etc can you give me.

      The project btw is a late period Italian Spinning wheel and while
      I've done some research theres not a lot of direct items to compare.

      cya
      mighel of Calontir
    • Tim Bray
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 7, 2005
        Walnut has recently become fashionable again, and supplies are a little uneven.  You should be able to find it by shopping around, but it's going to be expensive, especially for the clear straight-grained material you will need.

        Ash would be a good choice, I think.  It's plentiful and inexpensive, and you should have no difficulty finding straight-grained stock for your spindles.  I'm not a turner, though, so I have no idea how well it turns.  It is fairly easy to dye, if you want to try to match the color of walnut.  It is fairly coarse-grained, compared to walnut, but in my experience it smooths out well with hand tools or sandpaper.

        Don't know much about Alder - can't help there.

        Cheers,
        Colin

        Albion Works
        Furniture and Accessories
        For the Medievalist!
      • Joseph Hayes
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 7, 2005
          I'd vote ash. Traditionally, ash has been a good wood for the lathe
          and many spinning wheel parts are turned. I'm making one for my wife
          for Christmas and that's what I plan to use.

          Ulrich

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • James Winkler
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 7, 2005
            Ditto...
            Chas.

            =====================

            I'd vote ash.  Traditionally, ash has been a good wood for the lathe
            and many spinning wheel parts are turned.  I'm making one for my wife
            for Christmas and that's what I plan to use.

            Ulrich

          • Lew Newby
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 7, 2005
              I have turned all three, walnut, ash, and alder. Walnut is beautiful and
              works well. Ash also works well on the lathe, to give a good
              representative use for turned ash just take a look at wood baseball
              bats. Alder is MUCH softer than the other two and has a tendency to rip
              out if your not very careful on a lathe. I have good luck in staining
              alder but it still imparts a slightly red hue into the final look but
              maybe that is just me.

              matchstc wrote:

              > Greetings good folks
              >
              > I come to you with a query. I'm looking at doing a new project (A
              > spinning wheel) while perusing my local wood emporium they weren't wel
              > stocked with my first choice (walnut) BUT
              >
              > they did have goodly stocks of Ash and Alder. I figured if anyone
              > could give me good advice it would be you folks.
              >
              > so what comparisons, suggestions, input etc can you give me.
              >
              > The project btw is a late period Italian Spinning wheel and while
              > I've done some research theres not a lot of direct items to compare.
              >
              > cya
              > mighel of Calontir

              Lew Newby Jr.
              dragon@...
              ****** Draco Aliquando Vincent ******
              (At some time the dragon shall conquer)
            • Ralph Lindberg
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 8, 2005
                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Lew Newby <gideon@n...> wrote:
                > I have turned all three, walnut, ash, and alder. Walnut is beautiful
                and
                > works well. Ash also works well on the lathe, to give a good
                > representative use for turned ash just take a look at wood baseball
                > bats. Alder is MUCH softer than the other two and has a tendency to rip
                > out if your not very careful on a lathe.

                I'll echo that, Alder is just above pine in my least favorite woods.

                Although I have been coming to dislike "splated" anything (and the
                soft spots it can have) almost as much.

                Ralg
                AnTir
              • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 13, 2005
                  Cherry and Maple make nice wheels. Both are close grained  woods and spin well.  And I am not a wood turner, but just cut 144 board foot of no knot black walnut.

                  James Cunningham