magnolia??

  • Linda Rice
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 23, 2003
      I was wondering if anyone has any experience working with magnolia wood.
      First off, I'm not even sure if there are/were magnolia or magnolia
      family species in Europe in the middle ages. (Anyone know the answer to
      that?) I have several nice pieces of it, and it seems quite dense and
      even grained. I'm thinking it might turn pretty well into cups and
      bowls. Has anyone tried this, and if so what were your results?

      Thanks for any help!

      Linda
    • James Winkler
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 23, 2003
        Well… I don't know about magnolia… but I've been getting into bowl and cup turning lately and have (via the "Archaeology of York: Small Finds Wood Objects" and the MOL "Household Goods" book kinda' found that the primary woods for such items (at least in England) seemed to be ash, alder (european… not American alder) and field maple.  There is one example in those two books of a cup made of yew and one or two of oak… but these seem to be the exception).

        The Archaeology of York book has an extensive discussion on the woods and techniques used (springpole… of course) by medieval turners in the making of bowls and cups… good reading!

        Your most obdn't servant -
        Chas.
      • Dan Baker
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 23, 2003
          ARRRRRGGGH!! NOT MORE BOOKS TO ADD TO MY "MUST HAVE" LIST!!!!!

          Sorry, needed to vent..

          --
          YIS,

          Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
          Privateer to the Midrealm

          Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
          ...Take time to dance in the rain...

          >From: "James Winkler" <jrwinkler@...>
          >To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: Re: [medievalsawdust] magnolia??
          >Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 22:09:47 -0600
          >
          >Well. I don't know about magnolia. but I've been getting into bowl and cup
          >turning lately and have (via the "Archaeology of York: Small Finds Wood
          >Objects" and the MOL "Household Goods" book kinda' found that the primary
          >woods for such items (at least in England) seemed to be ash, alder
          >(european. not American alder) and field maple. There is one example in
          >those two books of a cup made of yew and one or two of oak. but these seem
          >to be the exception).
          >
          >The Archaeology of York book has an extensive discussion on the woods and
          >techniques used (springpole. of course) by medieval turners in the making
          >of bowls and cups. good reading!
          >
          >Your most obdn't servant -
          >Chas.

        • Patricia Emery
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 23, 2003
            Well, I don't know about "European Magnolias" either, but do know
            that when my husband was doing research on making pattens he came
            across a tid-bit that stated (something to the effect) that there
            were actually laws governing which types of woods were used by
            cobblers and such. Apparently, certain woods were restricted to
            certain guilds (in 14th Century England, anyways!) Has anyone else
            heard of this?

            Another "tradition" I've come across was that Norseman preferred to
            make their spoons out of juniper because they enjoyed the flavor it
            gave to their food.

            Would LOVE to find evidence supporting or disproving these "rumors"!

            Jessimond
          • Joseph Hayes
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 24, 2003
              --- Linda Rice <vmaa2@...> wrote:
              > First off, I'm not even sure if there are/were magnolia or magnolia
              > family species in Europe in the middle ages. (Anyone know the answer
              > to that?)

              Per the US Forest Service
              <http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/tree/maggra/introductory.html>

              "The genus Magnolia consists of 35 species of deciduous or evergreen
              trees or shrubs in North and Central America, eastern Asia and the
              Himalayas; nine species are native to the United States."

              http://platinum.yahoo.com
            • jim
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 25, 2003
                Patricia Emery wrote:

                > Well, I don't know about "European Magnolias" either, but do know
                > that when my husband was doing research on making pattens he came
                > across a tid-bit that stated (something to the effect) that there
                > were actually laws governing which types of woods were used by
                > cobblers and such. Apparently, certain woods were restricted to
                > certain guilds (in 14th Century England, anyways!) Has anyone else
                > heard of this?

                It's not really that uncommon for an organized government to restrict
                the types of woods one can use. These restrictions are usually the
                result of a limited supply of a wood which is ideal for a specific
                vital use.

                One example of this I learned when doing research on medieval archery.
                I'm not sure on the specific dates, but during the era when it was
                required by English law for every male in England between the ages
                of 12 and 60 years old to practice archery every Sunday, yew was in
                short supply. Laws restricted yew wood to only be used for the making
                of bows. To make dwindling supplies of yew to last longer another law
                was adopted requiring bowyers for every bow made of yew they must make
                two other bows made of another wood. Additionally, there was a tariff
                on wine imported from Spain that for every keg of wine imported, up to
                eight yew blanks must be imported with it.

                Also, I believe in the middle of the 15th century in Amsterdam Holland,
                a city building ordinance outlawed the use of wood in exterior walls.
                I believe that this was more for fire safety then for stretching the
                wood supply, but I'm not sure.
                Another interesting thing about architecture in Amsterdam was how the
                property taxes shaped how buildings were built. Property tax was not
                assessed by square footage or by property value, but by the size of the
                building's frontage. This resulted in very narrow, multilevel buildings
                with very narrow stairwells that required most buildings to have a rope
                and pulley sticking out from the roof to lift furniture and goods up to
                the upper floors.

                Such laws would have been beneficial in Viking age Iceland. Because of
                the large demand of wood for longships, all of Iceland ended up deforested.

                Smiðr Þorðarson
              • Joseph Hayes
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 25, 2003
                  Warning! You might get pissed you don't live in England...

                  http://www.huntington-antiques.com

                  http://platinum.yahoo.com
                • robert frazier
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 25, 2003
                    have you seen the cooper tools on ebay?
                    a whole working set from au.

                    --- Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@...> wrote:

                    > Warning! You might get pissed you don't live in
                    > England...
                    >
                    > http://www.huntington-antiques.com

                    > Yahoo! Platinum - Watch CBS' NCAA March Madness,
                    > live on your desktop!
                    > http://platinum.yahoo.com

                    =====
                    robert frazier
                    stallarifannsk household,An Tir
                    S.S.D.D.

                    http://platinum.yahoo.com
                  • Joseph Hayes
                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 25, 2003
                      Hi all,

                      While I was doing research on linenfold panels, I came across a website
                      (http://www.fiskeandfreeman.com) with three matching 16th century
                      linenfold panels for sale. After talking it over with my wife, I was
                      planning to buy them. In an e-mail exchange with the owner, I found
                      out two of them were already sold.

                      I told the owner I was disappointed that he'd break up a set and that
                      I'd be taking my business somewhere else.

                      What do you think? Is it OK to break up matching antiques?

                      Thanks,
                      Ulrich

                      http://platinum.yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 25, 2003
                        > What do you think? Is it OK to break up matching
                        > antiques?
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        > Ulrich

                        I'd try my best not to, but if the guy is
                        running a business, he might have had to do
                        it keep the lights on....

                        ( though I would think it would be worth more
                        as a set )

                        It depends on what the set is...

                        =====

                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 26, 2003
                          --- Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@...> wrote:
                          > It depends on what the set is...

                          If you've enabled binary attachments, it should be attached.

                          UvL

                          http://platinum.yahoo.com
                        • Alfricr
                          Message 12 of 25 , Mar 26, 2003
                            Greetings Linda,

                            I am Ralph Mason (Alfric Rolfson) from Portland, OR (Barony of Three Mountains, An Tir, SCA)

                            Although I have never turned magnolia wood I have hand carved it and find it a nice wood to work with and it takes small details well.

                            I hope you find this small bit of information of assistance.

                            Happy Turning,

                            Ralph.

                            Message 13 of 25 , Mar 26, 2003
                              Message
                              i borrowed a mug at an event recently for a new comer.  it was actually nothing more than a piece of bamboo that was sanded and finished.  nice piece overall.  anyway, i was thinking about making a few of these for some people and was looking for some advice on finishes and finishing techniques.  anyone ever worked with it for this before?

                              regards
                              logan
                            • James Winkler
                              Message 14 of 25 , Mar 27, 2003
                                Ulrich asked a great philosophic question… ya'll probably won't like my answer but I don't see any problem with the panels being broken up…  remember… they're just linenfold panels…  the rest of the piece is gone anyway so, in essence, the piece is already broken up by nature, history and normal use and abuse (I'm assuming).

                                Now… if we're talking TAKING a piece apart I've got a whole different take on that. [BIG NO-NO]…   now… if the panels were carved, painted or wood-burnt and all of the panels were needed to complete a scene… yea… I'd probably have a problem with breaking them up…  but unless there's something unique about these linen-fold panels… naw…

                                To me there is the issue of context.  There are 'hoards' of coins found all the time… but how many stamped coins of the same vintage and mint do you really need to have in your collection to establish the type?  Is it important to maintain the 'hoard' in tact because it was found as a 'hoard'?  While our romantic hearts might want to answer yes… the reality is that before the 'hoard' was buried, they were all single coins gathered thither and yon and had no more context to each other than two pieces of lumber at a lumberyard.

                                Feeling slightly heratic-ish this morning, I remain your most obdn't servant -
                                Chas.

                                Subject: Re: [medievalsawdust] OK to break up antiques?

                                > What do you think?  Is it OK to break up matching
                                > antiques?
                                >
                                > Thanks,
                                > Ulrich

                              • Linda Rice
                                Message 15 of 25 , Mar 28, 2003
                                  Hi all!

                                  I’d like to thank everyone for their input about magnolia wood. Looks
                                  like it’s naturally available everywhere *except* Europe! I'm sorry
                                  that I've not been keeping up with this thread (that I started!), but I
                                  just got my internet back this morning, after a week! ARRRGH!

                                  I had a feeling that magnolia would be good for carving, since the grain
                                  seems so smooth. Thanks for letting me know that! Now if I only had
                                  talent in that direction...

                                  Pax,

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Mar 28, 2003
                                    Ralph, that’s a great idea! I happen to live with a chess enthusiast; he
                                    would much appreciate this effort.
                                    Do you know where one could get a good picture of all the pieces? I’ve
                                    seen the set lots of times, but usually only partially complete.

                                    Thanks!

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Mar 28, 2003
                                      Hey, I just did a quick search and found a pretty good picture, at least
                                      of the fronts. I also found out that the British Museum has a book about
                                      them, which I may order. Why is it that no one ever wants to show the
                                      backs of things? ;o>

                                      Thanks again!

                                      :Linda:

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Mar 28, 2003
                                        Ralph, that is so incredible! You do really nice work. Tell me about the
                                        Glastonbury chairs. Is that the plans from the “Medieval Furniture”
                                        book? You did a super job on them. It’s nice to see them actually made,
                                        and not just by the author. I didn’t realize they folded up so flat.

                                        Love the cart, too. Do you use it at events to haul your stuff? That
                                        would be so cool!

                                        I actually snagged a photo of the chessmen off of eBay. It was the
                                        largest and clearest one I could find. :o>

                                        Pax,

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Mar 28, 2003
                                            Linda here's a link (rather large one) a friend sent to me some time ago, it's not all of the pieces but enough to get started.

                                            Also, here's my web page showing some of my stuff including my chess set (a work in progress)

                                            Happy Cutting!

                                            Ralph

                                            For what it's worth-I started my carving/wood working career by carving
                                            a chess set resembling the Lewis Island set. This set was made of
                                            magnolia. This is a great wood to start with and makes learning a snap.

                                            YIS, Ralph (Alfric)

                                          • Dianne and Greg Stucki
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Mar 29, 2003
                                              I love the Glastonbaby Chair. What book was this again? These might be a fun
                                              Christmas gift for my kids!

                                              Laurensa

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Mar 30, 2003
                                                Laurensa,

                                                The Glastonbaby chair is a modification to the Glastonbury Chair plans in the book entitled Constructing Medieval Furniture by Daniel Diehal published by Stackpole Books.

                                                The Glastonbaby chair is an approx. 60 % scale version of the origional plans. There are some alterations with the baby chair as it does not fold as the larger versions do.

                                                Contact me and I will be glad to tell you more about the design.

                                                Happy carvings,

                                                HL Alfric
                                                I love the Glastonbaby Chair. What book was this again? These might be a fun
                                                Christmas gift for my kids!

                                                Laurensa

                                                Ralph, that is so incredible! You do really nice work. Tell me about the
                                                Glastonbury chairs. Is that the plans from the "Medieval Furniture"
                                                book? You did a super job on them. <<

                                              • rmhowe
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Mar 30, 2003
                                                  Linda Rice wrote:

                                                  > Ralph, that’s a great idea! I happen to live with a chess enthusiast; he
                                                  > would much appreciate this effort.
                                                  > Do you know where one could get a good picture of all the pieces? I’ve
                                                  > seen the set lots of times, but usually only partially complete.
                                                  >
                                                  > Thanks!
                                                  >
                                                  > :Linda:

                                                  I have a little book somewhere on the set specifically.
                                                  Finding it is problematic presently. Roughly 7000 volumes.
                                                  I know there are several of them. However, I have not seen one
                                                  with ALL the pieces in them. They seem to be split between the
                                                  Museum of Scotland and the British Museum. There were apparently
                                                  parts of four different sets in the find. Somewhere around 70
                                                  as I recall. I have a cast resin set which gives me the appearance
                                                  of the major pieces myself. Other bits appear in Dover Medieval
                                                  Design books, books on ivory and chessmen.

                                                  I would like to hear of a book on them that was complete from all
                                                  four sides myself. One of the figures wears a helmet much different
                                                  from all the others. Honestly to me it looks very much like a wooden
                                                  helmet. If it were me I should prefer elm, and quite honestly I think
                                                  it would provide more protection than most period metal helmets.
                                                  Grain in elm alternates in different directions with each layer, much
                                                  like ivory. It is something you'd prefer not to have to split with
                                                  an axe. Old stories tell of axeheads burned out of it.

                                                  Taylor, Michael: THE LEWIS CHESSMEN. Publisher: British Museum Press
                                                  (1991, c1978). 12+ illustrations. 16-page stapled pamphlet.

                                                  Stratford, Neil: Lewis Chessmen and the Enigma of the Hoard;
                                                  Softcover, ISBN: 0714105872 Publisher: British Museum Press, $11.95
                                                  British MUSEUM PRESS 1997; 64pp.

                                                  Finkel, Irving: The Lewis Chessmen: What Happened to Them; British
                                                  Museum Publications Ltd; Sept. 1999, ISBN: 0714105929, Paperback,
                                                  48 pp., $16.95.

                                                  Magnus
                                                • rmhowe
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Mar 30, 2003
                                                    Linda Rice wrote:

                                                    > Hey, I just did a quick search and found a pretty good picture, at least
                                                    > of the fronts. I also found out that the British Museum has a book about
                                                    > them, which I may order. Why is it that no one ever wants to show the
                                                    > backs of things? ;o>
                                                    >
                                                    > Thanks again!
                                                    >
                                                    > :Linda:

                                                    Some of the reverses of the Kings and Queens are in one of the
                                                    Dover 'Medieval Designs' books. That may be the actual title.
                                                    It is all line drawings. I have done one carving from the reverse
                                                    of one of the queens. The one with the crossed wyverns.
                                                    The pawns that come with the recreated resin sets aren't very
                                                    interesting. The poor goober that was digging and fell into the
                                                    chamber containing them thought at first he had entered a fairy
                                                    realm. This was back about 1828 or so. Makes a good story anyway.

                                                    Magnus
                                                  • rmhowe
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Mar 30, 2003
                                                      > Alfricr wrote:
                                                      >
                                                      > Linda here's a link (rather large one) a friend sent to me some time
                                                      > ago, it's not all of the pieces but enough to get started.
                                                      >
                                                      > http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk/compass/ixbin/hixclient.exe?_IXDB_=compass&_IXSR_=jy1&_IXSS_=_IXMAXHITS_%3d1%26_IXFIRST_%3d1%26_IXtour%3dENC8218%26_IXDB_%3dcompass%26%2524%2bwith%2ball_unique_id_index%2bis%2b%2524%3dOBJ566&_IXFIRST_=1&_IXMAXHITS_=1&_IXSPFX_=graphical/full/lg&_IXimg=ps342892.jpg&_IXtour=ENC8218&submit-button=summary
                                                      >
                                                      > Also, here's my web page showing some of my stuff including my chess
                                                      > set (a work in progress)
                                                      >
                                                      > http://home.attbi.com/~blkhrse/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
                                                      >
                                                      > Happy Cutting!
                                                      >
                                                      > Ralph

                                                      There are a number of photos in the World of the Vikings DVD that is
                                                      currently available again from
                                                      http://www.pastfwrd.demon.co.uk/vikings/index.html. I have the older
                                                      version without Sagas and Sums which has been added to it. They show
                                                      the making of a replica cart as it is made right from the trees.
                                                      There are about four thousand items in it.

                                                      Magnus