Book report: "One Good Turn"

  • John LaTorre
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 14, 2005
      Greetings to the list.

      You never know what you'll find in used bookstores. I recently came across a
      book called "One Good Turn: A Natural History of the Screwdriver and the
      Screw," by Withold Rybczynski (which I think is pronounced more or less like
      Rib-CHIN-skee). It turned out to be well-written, diligently researched and
      a real pleasure to read.

      The author, casting about for a subject for an essay on the "tool of the
      millenium," settles on the screwdriver and starts investigating when and
      where it first turned up. He finds that while the word entered the English
      language only in the last two hundred years, the object itself goes back a
      lot farther ... the latter part of the fifteenth century, in fact. If you
      admire the non-fiction of John McPhee or David Owen, you'll see at once that
      Rybczynski's prose seems as fluid and clear and effortless as theirs. And
      his love for tools and their history (and history in general) speaks for
      itself.

      I recommend this book to anybody who loves tools and storytelling. It's is
      in my library to stay. It's published by Scribner in paperback form, and the
      ISBN is 0-684-86729-X.

      Baron Johann von Drachenfels (John LaTorre)