Middle Eastern tray tables?

  • iriniia@juno.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 7, 2005
      Hi. I'm fairly new here. I've been lurking for a few weeks. I do a
      little mundane woodworking, and I'm very interested in expanding my
      knowledge. A friend has expressed interest in aquiring some "Middle
      Eastern tray tables" for use at a hafla perhaps in the late fall. She
      described them as serving trays that have stands for setting them down
      on. She said that her adopted "father" within the SCA (Baron Durr of
      Aethelmarc, I think) has several of these that he's made of scrap metal
      attained from the metal factory he works at. Since there are no metal
      factories anywhere near here, I was thinking of trying to replicate them
      in wood. I'm puzzling over the stands, and would welcome any input or
      advice. She described the stands as folding up for storage, if I
      understood correctly, and definately as resembling the design of a
      folding camp table - with 'X' legs. My questions are 1) how to attach
      the legs to each other at the centers of the X's, and 2) how to manage
      the feet? Please help! This is completely out of my realm of
      experience.

      Iriniia Kiianina
    • mahee of acre
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 7, 2005
        A friend has expressed interest in aquiring some "Middle
        > Eastern tray tables" for use at a hafla perhaps in the late fall.
        She described them as serving trays that have stands for setting
        them down on.

        Yeah, something I can actually talk about. Imagine three capital h's
        with the center bars so that they stack on top of each other. Then a
        pin that connects them all in the middle.

        At the top of each of the 6 legs there is a flat spot, all at the
        same height, for the tray to sit on.

        The total width was usually about 14 inches, but that is because the
        tray was usually around 20. I have seen them much larger when the 3
        foot trays were use.

        I grew up with these in my house.

        some of these had two horrizantal bars and the center pin was as
        tall as the legs to give the tray center support.

        I hope that all made sense. I can draw up some plans if you really
        want.

        your servant,
        mahee

        yasiyid mahee mn acre al sharif
      • Bruce S. R. Lee
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 8, 2005
          Apart from the type that Mahee has generously offered to sketch us ;-),
          there are the 'hexagonal prism' type & the 'Book stand' type.

          The hexagonal ones are pretty simple - 6 panels with chamfered edges that
          hinge alternately on inside & outside edges with small cutouts at the
          bottom to give feet and a hook & eye on the open edge.

          The 'bookstand' type are an 'X' shape of 2 boards with a central
          self-hinge. There are several ways of making them, the 'best' is to carve
          them out of one plank of wood, sawing in from each end nearly to the
          middle, then carving the interlaced hinge from the center piece. If you go
          to a few of the Eastern Imports type stores they should have some to look
          at, or lookup 'Koran stand' . Thanks to the miracle of modern glues (much
          discussed lately) you can make one of these by glueing up the leaves so
          they interlock - of course they don't fold as flat, but they are much
          quicker to build - you can even make them like the 'Stargazer' aka
          'Viking' X chair that comes apart.

          regards
          Brusi