Re: [MedievalSawdust] Relative strength

  • Siegfried
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 6, 2005
      > > polyurethane glue really isnt required for what you are doing. a high
      >
      > I think so, as does the customer. When I asked him if glued up lamited posts
      > were acceptable to him, his reply was "as long as the glue is waterproof,
      > it's ok" :)

      Just use Titebond II, or your other favorite equivilant of waterproof
      carpenter's glue.

      The expense of Gorilla Glue just isn't needed for this project.

      Or at least, if you really do wanna use it, buy a cheaper polyurathane
      than Gorilla. :)

      Siegfried

    • Logan
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 6, 2005
        yep titebond is great stuff too and i forgot its waterproof.  come to think of it now it lives behind my gallon of wood worx and thats why i didnt remember it earlier.

        and yes, if your guy insists on polyurethane glue buy one of the non famous brands.  same stuff less cost.  8)

        www.ebonwoulfe.com

        Some people are like Slinkies: not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

        > > polyurethane glue really isnt required for what you are
        doing.  a high

        > I think so, as does the customer.
        When I asked him if glued up lamited posts
        > were acceptable to him, his
        reply was "as long as the glue is waterproof,
        > it's ok" :)

        Just use Titebond II, or your other favorite equivilant of waterproof
        carpenter's glue.

        The expense of Gorilla Glue just isn't needed for this project.

        Or at least, if you really do wanna use it, buy a cheaper polyurathane
        than Gorilla. :)

        Siegfried

      • Sean Powell
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 6, 2005
          You could always take a page from the Frank Lloyd Wright school of laminating: cut 4 board and bevel the sides at 45 degrees. Glue into a box around a solid square core. The result leaves the "seams" of the lamination on the edge where they aren't visible and creates a large solid block that is less prone to splitting when drying etc. I don't think this will leave voids quite where you want them but the overall structure is VERY strong.

          Sean (who usually just lurks)

          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 6, 2005
            In MY opinion NO. Not without the mating hardward that in in a modern bed.
            Poplar is softer than yellow pine and will not stand up to through mortises
            and pins for any length of time. Red, white, or brown Oak would be my choice
            for any bed posts that will see camping use. The viking beds that have
            survived are mostly oak.

            James Cunningham

            > The normal wood geek buddy that I run things by isn't available today, so
            I'll
            > ask you all my question :)
            >
            > The first time I made my slat bed, I had some 12/4 poplar milled to 2 3/4"
            x 2
            > 3/4" for the corner posts. Now that I go to make another one, I'm not as
            > close to a mill as I used to be, and it's now an 1.5 drive one way to it.
            >
            > As a time saving measure, I was considering purchasing the poplar from my
            > local large hardware chain that has decent quality boards, with very
            little
            > warping, cupping or corkscrewing.
            >
            > However, they don't have anything big enough for the corner posts, so I
            would
            > have to glue/laminate boards together for the corner posts. One advantage
            of
            > doing the corner posts this way, is I could leave voids for some of the
            > mortises.
            >
            > So, here's my question -- will 2 1/4" x 2 1/4" (three 3/4" boards
            laminated)
            > be strong enough for the corner posts of a queen size slat bed?
            >
            > By my rough estimates, buying the stock at the local large hardware chain
            will
            > only be about $14 more than going to the mill, and I save 3 hours driving
            and
            > crap load of rip cuts that would be a pain to do in my small little shop
            :)

            > Thanks in advance,
            >
            > Robin
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Lord Robin Gallowglass
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 7, 2005
              On Monday 06 June 2005 23:37, James W. Pratt, Jr. wrote:
              > In MY opinion NO. Not without the mating hardward that in in a modern bed.
              > Poplar is softer than yellow pine and will not stand up to through mortises
              > and pins for any length of time. Red, white, or brown Oak would be my

              Really? The first one I made was out of poplar, and I used a solid piece of
              2.75" x 2.75" poplar for the cornor posts that have two through mortises in
              both directions. It's been to two pennsic's so far without any problems at
              all.

              > choice for any bed posts that will see camping use. The viking beds that
              > have survived are mostly oak.
              >
              > James Cunningham

              Robin
            • Tim Bray
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 7, 2005
                Robin,

                Laminated poplar posts should hold up just fine.  Poplar isn't as strong or as rot-resistant as oak, but I doubt you intend this bed to last for 500 years, so...

                Properly done, laminated posts can be stronger than solid-wood; less prone to splitting.

                As I said earlier, the glue surface area will be so great that glue strength simply isn't an issue - you could even use Franklin Poly glue without worry  ;-)

                The important thing is to make sure the faces being glued mate up perfectly.  A jointer is the easiest way to do this.

                Cheers,
                Colin

                Albion Works
                Furniture and Accessories
                For the Medievalist!
              • Lord Robin Gallowglass
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 7, 2005
                  On Tuesday 07 June 2005 11:17, Tim Bray wrote:
                  > Robin,
                  >
                  > Laminated poplar posts should hold up just fine. Poplar isn't as strong or
                  > as rot-resistant as oak, but I doubt you intend this bed to last for 500
                  > years, so...

                  Nope, and the first one I did out of Poplar has held up well for 2 pennsics
                  without even any sealant/finish on it.

                  > Properly done, laminated posts can be stronger than solid-wood; less prone
                  > to splitting.
                  >
                  > As I said earlier, the glue surface area will be so great that glue
                  > strength simply isn't an issue - you could even use Franklin Poly glue
                  > without worry ;-)

                  Well, the customer wants waterproof, so that's what he'll get :)

                  > The important thing is to make sure the faces being glued mate up
                  > perfectly. A jointer is the easiest way to do this.

                  Well, the actual finished size of a 1" x 3" is, as you know, 0.75" x 2.5".
                  Three of them laminated together will be 2.25" thick, so if I rip the
                  finished laminated post down to 2.25", I'll have nicely matched up faces :)

                  Plus, I need to do some refurb work on it, but I do have a jointer.....

                  > Cheers,
                  > Colin

                  Robin
                • ewdysar
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 7, 2005
                    My Gokstad replica slat bed is made from red oak boards, but 3"x3"
                    oak was not readily available to me at the time, so I used a Doug
                    Fir 4x4 ripped down to 3x3 (actual) for "temporary" legs. The
                    original bed has legs that are asymetrically tapered, so I did not
                    want to laminate the pieces. The bed is now over 5 years old and
                    the legs are holding up fine. These legs are only loaded along
                    their axis and a 3"x2"x3/4" mortise is not a weak joint. The
                    assembly pegs put the legs in compression, the tenon tails in the
                    bed boards are probably the weakest point.

                    I haven't seen a period looking slat bed that fully breaks down with
                    modern hardware that hasn't ruined the hardware and become unusable
                    in 2 events (after a statistical sampling of 2). That builder now
                    has an all wood period slat bed (a poplar copy of mine) and is much
                    happier.

                    Good luck,
                    Eirikr Mjoksiglandi

                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Pratt, Jr."
                    <cunning@f...> wrote:
                    > In MY opinion NO. Not without the mating hardward that in in a
                    modern bed.
                    > Poplar is softer than yellow pine and will not stand up to through
                    mortises
                    > and pins for any length of time. Red, white, or brown Oak would be
                    my choice
                    > for any bed posts that will see camping use. The viking beds that
                    have
                    > survived are mostly oak.
                    >
                    > James Cunningham
                  • Johann Friedrich
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 7, 2005
                      It sounds like you did something very similar to how I made my rope bed.
                      I used 4x4 (I think they were fir... whatever I could grab cheaply from
                      Home Depot), and used mortices to hold the rails. The only problem I had
                      was the cheap pine 2x6 I used for the rails started to warp, and the top
                      of one of the legs split open in the middle of the night with a loud
                      crack. Of course since it just cracked the top of the leg, there was no
                      danger of the bed falling to the ground or anything. To solve this
                      problem, I made new legs that were taller and had more "meat" above the
                      mortice so it could handle the strain a little more. Some day I will save
                      up the money to use better wood to replace the rails.

                      On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, ewdysar wrote:

                      > My Gokstad replica slat bed is made from red oak boards, but 3"x3"
                      > oak was not readily available to me at the time, so I used a Doug
                      > Fir 4x4 ripped down to 3x3 (actual) for "temporary" legs. The
                      > original bed has legs that are asymetrically tapered, so I did not
                      > want to laminate the pieces. The bed is now over 5 years old and
                      > the legs are holding up fine. These legs are only loaded along
                      > their axis and a 3"x2"x3/4" mortise is not a weak joint. The
                      > assembly pegs put the legs in compression, the tenon tails in the
                      > bed boards are probably the weakest point.
                      >
                      > I haven't seen a period looking slat bed that fully breaks down with
                      > modern hardware that hasn't ruined the hardware and become unusable
                      > in 2 events (after a statistical sampling of 2). That builder now
                      > has an all wood period slat bed (a poplar copy of mine) and is much
                      > happier.
                      >
                      > Good luck,
                      > Eirikr Mjoksiglandi
                      >
                      > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Pratt, Jr."
                      > <cunning@f...> wrote:
                      >> In MY opinion NO. Not without the mating hardward that in in a
                      > modern bed.
                      >> Poplar is softer than yellow pine and will not stand up to through
                      > mortises
                      >> and pins for any length of time. Red, white, or brown Oak would be
                      > my choice
                      >> for any bed posts that will see camping use. The viking beds that
                      > have
                      >> survived are mostly oak.
                      >>
                      >> James Cunningham
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Ken Bowley yahoo@...
                      AKA: Lord Johann Friedrich http://www.trod.org
                    • Lew Newby
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 7, 2005
                        I have used, Cherry, Ash, and Alder for the legs of beds I have made. My
                        personal camp bed is done after the Gokstad funeral bed with some of my
                        own customizations because I was having fun making stuff and not exactly
                        replicating. It uses alder legs, ashes rails all the way around and oak
                        slats (A freeby from my father that had a bunch of pre-used oak planks
                        that he gave me). This bed was made 8 years ago I think and I blew out
                        the tenon on a headboard rail by driving the pegs in too tight. Other
                        than that it has been through well over 200 events and has survived all
                        sorts of weather and traveled from California to Pennsylvania and back 5
                        times.

                        Personally I have prefered the completely Ash bed I made at the same
                        time as mine. It has a head board modification and really has seen
                        hundreds of events by now. It even sat in 6 inches of water for 2 days
                        at one event without any damage at all.

                        I have even used it as a guest bed in my house.

                        Farin

                        Lew Newby Jr. http://www.neei.com/~gideon
                        SCA: Ian the Fariner of Dunkeld, OP
                        dragon@...
                        Head of Wyverns Keep
                        ****** Draco Aliquando Vincent ******

                      • ewdysar
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 7, 2005
                          Perhaps the problem was if the ropes are tightened enough to bow the
                          rails, then the rails are trying to lever out of square, looking down
                          from the top of the leg. This levering could split the legs over
                          time. On a slat bed, the slats prevent that load.

                          Eirikr

                          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Johann Friedrich <yahoo@t...>
                          wrote:
                          > It sounds like you did something very similar to how I made my rope
                          bed.
                          > I used 4x4 (I think they were fir... whatever I could grab cheaply
                          from
                          > Home Depot), and used mortices to hold the rails. The only problem
                          I had
                          > was the cheap pine 2x6 I used for the rails started to warp, and the
                          top
                          > of one of the legs split open in the middle of the night with a loud
                          > crack. Of course since it just cracked the top of the leg, there
                          was no
                          > danger of the bed falling to the ground or anything. To solve this
                          > problem, I made new legs that were taller and had more "meat" above
                          the
                          > mortice so it could handle the strain a little more.
                        • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 7, 2005
                            I have seen them made out of pine, plywood and Oak. All can split and give
                            trouble if the occupants act .... well you get the idea...but it still is
                            only MY opinion not what will or has worked.
                            If you feel confortable with poplar go for it. I would not.

                            James Cunningham
                            Who does not have room in the van for bed posts.

                            > On Monday 06 June 2005 23:37, James W. Pratt, Jr. wrote:
                            > > In MY opinion NO. Not without the mating hardward that in in a modern
                            bed.
                            > > Poplar is softer than yellow pine and will not stand up to through
                            mortises
                            > > and pins for any length of time. Red, white, or brown Oak would be my
                            >
                            > Really? The first one I made was out of poplar, and I used a solid piece
                            of
                            > 2.75" x 2.75" poplar for the cornor posts that have two through mortises
                            in
                            > both directions. It's been to two pennsic's so far without any problems
                            at
                            > all.
                            >
                            > > choice for any bed posts that will see camping use. The viking beds
                            that
                            > > have survived are mostly oak.
                            > >
                            > > James Cunningham
                            > >

                            > Robin
                            >

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Johann Friedrich
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 7, 2005
                              Nope, this was definitly from a warped rail. The pressures from the
                              bowing rail aren't enough to break out the corner. In fact, the rails
                              don't bow nearly as much as I expected/planned them to. Of course this is
                              probably because I used 1/2" manila at 8" centers rather than the 1/4"
                              sisle that so many people seem to want to use. The mortises don't go all
                              the way through, and the inside is left a little loose to allow for
                              some movement while setting up the bed. The rails actually interlock with
                              something similar to a box joint (one finger on one, and two fingers on
                              the other) inside the leg, so the only real pressure the leg gets is under
                              compression holding the rails off the ground. =-)

                              On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, ewdysar wrote:

                              > Perhaps the problem was if the ropes are tightened enough to bow the
                              > rails, then the rails are trying to lever out of square, looking down
                              > from the top of the leg. This levering could split the legs over time.
                              > On a slat bed, the slats prevent that load.
                              >
                              > Eirikr
                              >
                              > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Johann Friedrich <yahoo@t...>
                              > wrote:
                              >> It sounds like you did something very similar to how I made my rope
                              >> bed. I used 4x4 (I think they were fir... whatever I could grab cheaply
                              >> from Home Depot), and used mortices to hold the rails. The only
                              >> problem I had was the cheap pine 2x6 I used for the rails started to
                              >> warp, and the top of one of the legs split open in the middle of the
                              >> night with a loud crack. Of course since it just cracked the top of
                              >> the leg, there was no danger of the bed falling to the ground or
                              >> anything. To solve this problem, I made new legs that were taller and
                              >> had more "meat" above the mortice so it could handle the strain a
                              >> little more.
                            • Joseph Hayes
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 8, 2005
                                --- ewdysar <ewdysar@...> wrote:
                                > I haven't seen a period looking slat bed that fully breaks down with
                                > modern hardware that hasn't ruined the hardware and become unusable
                                > in 2 events (after a statistical sampling of 2).

                                My slat-style bed (I use plywood instead of slats) is held together
                                with modern knock-down bed hardware from Woodcraft. It's gone to
                                almost 10 Pennsics and still works great.

                                Bed:
                                http://www.midrealm.org/ballaeban/ulrich/ans/bed.jpg
                                (ignore the bed bolt covers. they just cover empty holes)

                                Hardware:
                                http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3269

                                Ulrich

                                __________________________________
                                Discover Yahoo!
                                http://discover.yahoo.com/weekend.html
                              • ewdysar
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jun 8, 2005
                                  Wow, your van must be really packed. My slat bed legs are 3"x3"x24",
                                  about 1/2 cubic foot. My Doug Fir bed legs have plenty of "miles" on
                                  them...if you catch my drift... ;) with no problems.

                                  Eirikr

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jun 8, 2005
                                    Looks like a great later period bed. How far does it break down,
                                    i.e. do the legs come off the head and foot boards? Are there
                                    supports under the ply bed base? So it appears no tools for
                                    assembly and all modern hardware hidden when put together.
                                    Excellent.

                                    Eirikr

                                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Hayes
                                    <von_landstuhl@y...> wrote:

                                    > My slat-style bed (I use plywood instead of slats) is held together
                                    > with modern knock-down bed hardware from Woodcraft. It's gone to
                                    > almost 10 Pennsics and still works great.
                                    >
                                    > Bed:
                                    > http://www.midrealm.org/ballaeban/ulrich/ans/bed.jpg
                                    > (ignore the bed bolt covers. they just cover empty holes)
                                    >
                                    > Hardware:
                                    > http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3269
                                    >
                                    > Ulrich
                                    >

                                    > __________________________________
                                    > Discover Yahoo!
                                    > Find restaurants, movies, travel and more fun for the weekend.
                                    Check it out!
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jun 8, 2005
                                      --- ewdysar <ewdysar@...> wrote:
                                      > Looks like a great later period bed. How far does it break down,
                                      > i.e. do the legs come off the head and foot boards? Are there
                                      > supports under the ply bed base? So it appears no tools for
                                      > assembly and all modern hardware hidden when put together.

                                      It breaks down into 7 pieces. The sides break down into four pieces
                                      with the legs being integral to the head and footboards. The two
                                      pieces of plywood rest on a 2x4 rail that's screwed and glued around
                                      the inside. There's also a additional support across the middle (going
                                      across the shorter dimension).

                                      The bed hasn't survived in this form. While falling into it was easy
                                      enough, getting out took a little effort. Last year, I replaced the
                                      sides with 2x8's and kept the panels for a future project.

                                      As I mentioned before, the modern bed hardware works beautifully (and
                                      can't be seen). The only change I made from the packaging was to use
                                      longer screws in the endgrain of my new sides.

                                      Ulrich

                                      __________________________________
                                      Discover Yahoo!
                                      http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html
                                    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jun 8, 2005
                                        Lets see.... two Tents, archery gear thats combat(must include armor bag)
                                        and real stuff, cloths for a week, bedding, box for dog, box for bird, bath
                                        pan and perch for bird, food for a week(no vendors) and if any person goes
                                        with me.... I will make the bed fit but it is still on the bottom of the to
                                        do list....after fixing manure spreader, wagon, and haybined...which
                                        requieres fixing the air compressor, cutting down an oak tree, that is if
                                        the chain saw is fixed. I am so glad I'm retired and do not "have ta" do
                                        anything.

                                        James Cunningham
                                        getting ready to go get the tires to replace the "baldies" on the Jeep.