Re: [MedievalSawdust] Relative strength

  • Lord Robin Gallowglass
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 6, 2005
      On Monday 06 June 2005 15:49, Logan wrote:
      > a high end carpenters glue will hold fine unless he plans on his bed
      > sitting in 14" of standing water for a few days. then, it just might get a

      Remember, the customer is always right. He's paying me to make the bed. If
      he wants 100% waterproof gorillaglue, then he gets gorillaglue :)

      > wee bit soft. i made some cheap pine benches 8 years ago that were retired
      > to the area around my fighter practice some 4 years ago. they are still
      > going strong and were only glued together with elmers wood glue. 4 years
      > of sitting outside and the glue has held up fine.
      >
      > personally i like loctite brand outdoor wood worx. the stuff is crazy
      > strong and spreads nice and thin. it flows better than any other glue ive
      > used and the price is not too steep.

      I'll take a look at it.

      > and no, what i mean is clamp like this:
      >

      > 7 5 3 1 2 4 6

      Gotcha!

      > www.ebonwoulfe.com
      >
      > Some people are like Slinkies: not really good for anything, but you still
      > can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

      Robin
    • Siegfried
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 6, 2005
        > > polyurethane glue really isnt required for what you are doing. a high
        >
        > I think so, as does the customer. When I asked him if glued up lamited posts
        > were acceptable to him, his reply was "as long as the glue is waterproof,
        > it's ok" :)

        Just use Titebond II, or your other favorite equivilant of waterproof
        carpenter's glue.

        The expense of Gorilla Glue just isn't needed for this project.

        Or at least, if you really do wanna use it, buy a cheaper polyurathane
        than Gorilla. :)

        Siegfried

      • Logan
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 6, 2005
          yep titebond is great stuff too and i forgot its waterproof.  come to think of it now it lives behind my gallon of wood worx and thats why i didnt remember it earlier.

          and yes, if your guy insists on polyurethane glue buy one of the non famous brands.  same stuff less cost.  8)

          www.ebonwoulfe.com

          Some people are like Slinkies: not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

          > > polyurethane glue really isnt required for what you are
          doing.  a high

          > I think so, as does the customer.
          When I asked him if glued up lamited posts
          > were acceptable to him, his
          reply was "as long as the glue is waterproof,
          > it's ok" :)

          Just use Titebond II, or your other favorite equivilant of waterproof
          carpenter's glue.

          The expense of Gorilla Glue just isn't needed for this project.

          Or at least, if you really do wanna use it, buy a cheaper polyurathane
          than Gorilla. :)

          Siegfried

        • Sean Powell
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 6, 2005
            You could always take a page from the Frank Lloyd Wright school of laminating: cut 4 board and bevel the sides at 45 degrees. Glue into a box around a solid square core. The result leaves the "seams" of the lamination on the edge where they aren't visible and creates a large solid block that is less prone to splitting when drying etc. I don't think this will leave voids quite where you want them but the overall structure is VERY strong.

            Sean (who usually just lurks)

            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 6, 2005
              In MY opinion NO. Not without the mating hardward that in in a modern bed.
              Poplar is softer than yellow pine and will not stand up to through mortises
              and pins for any length of time. Red, white, or brown Oak would be my choice
              for any bed posts that will see camping use. The viking beds that have
              survived are mostly oak.

              James Cunningham

              > The normal wood geek buddy that I run things by isn't available today, so
              I'll
              > ask you all my question :)
              >
              > The first time I made my slat bed, I had some 12/4 poplar milled to 2 3/4"
              x 2
              > 3/4" for the corner posts. Now that I go to make another one, I'm not as
              > close to a mill as I used to be, and it's now an 1.5 drive one way to it.
              >
              > As a time saving measure, I was considering purchasing the poplar from my
              > local large hardware chain that has decent quality boards, with very
              little
              > warping, cupping or corkscrewing.
              >
              > However, they don't have anything big enough for the corner posts, so I
              would
              > have to glue/laminate boards together for the corner posts. One advantage
              of
              > doing the corner posts this way, is I could leave voids for some of the
              > mortises.
              >
              > So, here's my question -- will 2 1/4" x 2 1/4" (three 3/4" boards
              laminated)
              > be strong enough for the corner posts of a queen size slat bed?
              >
              > By my rough estimates, buying the stock at the local large hardware chain
              will
              > only be about $14 more than going to the mill, and I save 3 hours driving
              and
              > crap load of rip cuts that would be a pain to do in my small little shop
              :)

              > Thanks in advance,
              >
              > Robin
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Lord Robin Gallowglass
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 7, 2005
                On Monday 06 June 2005 23:37, James W. Pratt, Jr. wrote:
                > In MY opinion NO. Not without the mating hardward that in in a modern bed.
                > Poplar is softer than yellow pine and will not stand up to through mortises
                > and pins for any length of time. Red, white, or brown Oak would be my

                Really? The first one I made was out of poplar, and I used a solid piece of
                2.75" x 2.75" poplar for the cornor posts that have two through mortises in
                both directions. It's been to two pennsic's so far without any problems at
                all.

                > choice for any bed posts that will see camping use. The viking beds that
                > have survived are mostly oak.
                >
                > James Cunningham

                Robin
              • Tim Bray
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 7, 2005
                  Robin,

                  Laminated poplar posts should hold up just fine.  Poplar isn't as strong or as rot-resistant as oak, but I doubt you intend this bed to last for 500 years, so...

                  Properly done, laminated posts can be stronger than solid-wood; less prone to splitting.

                  As I said earlier, the glue surface area will be so great that glue strength simply isn't an issue - you could even use Franklin Poly glue without worry  ;-)

                  The important thing is to make sure the faces being glued mate up perfectly.  A jointer is the easiest way to do this.

                  Cheers,
                  Colin

                  Albion Works
                  Furniture and Accessories
                  For the Medievalist!
                • Lord Robin Gallowglass
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 7, 2005
                    On Tuesday 07 June 2005 11:17, Tim Bray wrote:
                    > Robin,
                    >
                    > Laminated poplar posts should hold up just fine. Poplar isn't as strong or
                    > as rot-resistant as oak, but I doubt you intend this bed to last for 500
                    > years, so...

                    Nope, and the first one I did out of Poplar has held up well for 2 pennsics
                    without even any sealant/finish on it.

                    > Properly done, laminated posts can be stronger than solid-wood; less prone
                    > to splitting.
                    >
                    > As I said earlier, the glue surface area will be so great that glue
                    > strength simply isn't an issue - you could even use Franklin Poly glue
                    > without worry ;-)

                    Well, the customer wants waterproof, so that's what he'll get :)

                    > The important thing is to make sure the faces being glued mate up
                    > perfectly. A jointer is the easiest way to do this.

                    Well, the actual finished size of a 1" x 3" is, as you know, 0.75" x 2.5".
                    Three of them laminated together will be 2.25" thick, so if I rip the
                    finished laminated post down to 2.25", I'll have nicely matched up faces :)

                    Plus, I need to do some refurb work on it, but I do have a jointer.....

                    > Cheers,
                    > Colin

                    Robin
                  • ewdysar
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 7, 2005
                      My Gokstad replica slat bed is made from red oak boards, but 3"x3"
                      oak was not readily available to me at the time, so I used a Doug
                      Fir 4x4 ripped down to 3x3 (actual) for "temporary" legs. The
                      original bed has legs that are asymetrically tapered, so I did not
                      want to laminate the pieces. The bed is now over 5 years old and
                      the legs are holding up fine. These legs are only loaded along
                      their axis and a 3"x2"x3/4" mortise is not a weak joint. The
                      assembly pegs put the legs in compression, the tenon tails in the
                      bed boards are probably the weakest point.

                      I haven't seen a period looking slat bed that fully breaks down with
                      modern hardware that hasn't ruined the hardware and become unusable
                      in 2 events (after a statistical sampling of 2). That builder now
                      has an all wood period slat bed (a poplar copy of mine) and is much
                      happier.

                      Good luck,
                      Eirikr Mjoksiglandi

                      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Pratt, Jr."
                      <cunning@f...> wrote:
                      > In MY opinion NO. Not without the mating hardward that in in a
                      modern bed.
                      > Poplar is softer than yellow pine and will not stand up to through
                      mortises
                      > and pins for any length of time. Red, white, or brown Oak would be
                      my choice
                      > for any bed posts that will see camping use. The viking beds that
                      have
                      > survived are mostly oak.
                      >
                      > James Cunningham
                    • Johann Friedrich
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 7, 2005
                        It sounds like you did something very similar to how I made my rope bed.
                        I used 4x4 (I think they were fir... whatever I could grab cheaply from
                        Home Depot), and used mortices to hold the rails. The only problem I had
                        was the cheap pine 2x6 I used for the rails started to warp, and the top
                        of one of the legs split open in the middle of the night with a loud
                        crack. Of course since it just cracked the top of the leg, there was no
                        danger of the bed falling to the ground or anything. To solve this
                        problem, I made new legs that were taller and had more "meat" above the
                        mortice so it could handle the strain a little more. Some day I will save
                        up the money to use better wood to replace the rails.

                        On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, ewdysar wrote:

                        > My Gokstad replica slat bed is made from red oak boards, but 3"x3"
                        > oak was not readily available to me at the time, so I used a Doug
                        > Fir 4x4 ripped down to 3x3 (actual) for "temporary" legs. The
                        > original bed has legs that are asymetrically tapered, so I did not
                        > want to laminate the pieces. The bed is now over 5 years old and
                        > the legs are holding up fine. These legs are only loaded along
                        > their axis and a 3"x2"x3/4" mortise is not a weak joint. The
                        > assembly pegs put the legs in compression, the tenon tails in the
                        > bed boards are probably the weakest point.
                        >
                        > I haven't seen a period looking slat bed that fully breaks down with
                        > modern hardware that hasn't ruined the hardware and become unusable
                        > in 2 events (after a statistical sampling of 2). That builder now
                        > has an all wood period slat bed (a poplar copy of mine) and is much
                        > happier.
                        >
                        > Good luck,
                        > Eirikr Mjoksiglandi
                        >
                        > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Pratt, Jr."
                        > <cunning@f...> wrote:
                        >> In MY opinion NO. Not without the mating hardward that in in a
                        > modern bed.
                        >> Poplar is softer than yellow pine and will not stand up to through
                        > mortises
                        >> and pins for any length of time. Red, white, or brown Oak would be
                        > my choice
                        >> for any bed posts that will see camping use. The viking beds that
                        > have
                        >> survived are mostly oak.
                        >>
                        >> James Cunningham
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Ken Bowley yahoo@...
                        AKA: Lord Johann Friedrich http://www.trod.org
                      • Lew Newby
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 7, 2005
                          I have used, Cherry, Ash, and Alder for the legs of beds I have made. My
                          personal camp bed is done after the Gokstad funeral bed with some of my
                          own customizations because I was having fun making stuff and not exactly
                          replicating. It uses alder legs, ashes rails all the way around and oak
                          slats (A freeby from my father that had a bunch of pre-used oak planks
                          that he gave me). This bed was made 8 years ago I think and I blew out
                          the tenon on a headboard rail by driving the pegs in too tight. Other
                          than that it has been through well over 200 events and has survived all
                          sorts of weather and traveled from California to Pennsylvania and back 5
                          times.

                          Personally I have prefered the completely Ash bed I made at the same
                          time as mine. It has a head board modification and really has seen
                          hundreds of events by now. It even sat in 6 inches of water for 2 days
                          at one event without any damage at all.

                          I have even used it as a guest bed in my house.

                          Farin

                          Lew Newby Jr. http://www.neei.com/~gideon
                          SCA: Ian the Fariner of Dunkeld, OP
                          dragon@...
                          Head of Wyverns Keep
                          ****** Draco Aliquando Vincent ******

                        • ewdysar
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 7, 2005
                            Perhaps the problem was if the ropes are tightened enough to bow the
                            rails, then the rails are trying to lever out of square, looking down
                            from the top of the leg. This levering could split the legs over
                            time. On a slat bed, the slats prevent that load.

                            Eirikr

                            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Johann Friedrich <yahoo@t...>
                            wrote:
                            > It sounds like you did something very similar to how I made my rope
                            bed.
                            > I used 4x4 (I think they were fir... whatever I could grab cheaply
                            from
                            > Home Depot), and used mortices to hold the rails. The only problem
                            I had
                            > was the cheap pine 2x6 I used for the rails started to warp, and the
                            top
                            > of one of the legs split open in the middle of the night with a loud
                            > crack. Of course since it just cracked the top of the leg, there
                            was no
                            > danger of the bed falling to the ground or anything. To solve this
                            > problem, I made new legs that were taller and had more "meat" above
                            the
                            > mortice so it could handle the strain a little more.
                          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 7, 2005
                              I have seen them made out of pine, plywood and Oak. All can split and give
                              trouble if the occupants act .... well you get the idea...but it still is
                              only MY opinion not what will or has worked.
                              If you feel confortable with poplar go for it. I would not.

                              James Cunningham
                              Who does not have room in the van for bed posts.

                              > On Monday 06 June 2005 23:37, James W. Pratt, Jr. wrote:
                              > > In MY opinion NO. Not without the mating hardward that in in a modern
                              bed.
                              > > Poplar is softer than yellow pine and will not stand up to through
                              mortises
                              > > and pins for any length of time. Red, white, or brown Oak would be my
                              >
                              > Really? The first one I made was out of poplar, and I used a solid piece
                              of
                              > 2.75" x 2.75" poplar for the cornor posts that have two through mortises
                              in
                              > both directions. It's been to two pennsic's so far without any problems
                              at
                              > all.
                              >
                              > > choice for any bed posts that will see camping use. The viking beds
                              that
                              > > have survived are mostly oak.
                              > >
                              > > James Cunningham
                              > >

                              > Robin
                              >

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Johann Friedrich
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 7, 2005
                                Nope, this was definitly from a warped rail. The pressures from the
                                bowing rail aren't enough to break out the corner. In fact, the rails
                                don't bow nearly as much as I expected/planned them to. Of course this is
                                probably because I used 1/2" manila at 8" centers rather than the 1/4"
                                sisle that so many people seem to want to use. The mortises don't go all
                                the way through, and the inside is left a little loose to allow for
                                some movement while setting up the bed. The rails actually interlock with
                                something similar to a box joint (one finger on one, and two fingers on
                                the other) inside the leg, so the only real pressure the leg gets is under
                                compression holding the rails off the ground. =-)

                                On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, ewdysar wrote:

                                > Perhaps the problem was if the ropes are tightened enough to bow the
                                > rails, then the rails are trying to lever out of square, looking down
                                > from the top of the leg. This levering could split the legs over time.
                                > On a slat bed, the slats prevent that load.
                                >
                                > Eirikr
                                >
                                > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Johann Friedrich <yahoo@t...>
                                > wrote:
                                >> It sounds like you did something very similar to how I made my rope
                                >> bed. I used 4x4 (I think they were fir... whatever I could grab cheaply
                                >> from Home Depot), and used mortices to hold the rails. The only
                                >> problem I had was the cheap pine 2x6 I used for the rails started to
                                >> warp, and the top of one of the legs split open in the middle of the
                                >> night with a loud crack. Of course since it just cracked the top of
                                >> the leg, there was no danger of the bed falling to the ground or
                                >> anything. To solve this problem, I made new legs that were taller and
                                >> had more "meat" above the mortice so it could handle the strain a
                                >> little more.
                              • Joseph Hayes
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jun 8, 2005
                                  --- ewdysar <ewdysar@...> wrote:
                                  > I haven't seen a period looking slat bed that fully breaks down with
                                  > modern hardware that hasn't ruined the hardware and become unusable
                                  > in 2 events (after a statistical sampling of 2).

                                  My slat-style bed (I use plywood instead of slats) is held together
                                  with modern knock-down bed hardware from Woodcraft. It's gone to
                                  almost 10 Pennsics and still works great.

                                  Bed:
                                  http://www.midrealm.org/ballaeban/ulrich/ans/bed.jpg
                                  (ignore the bed bolt covers. they just cover empty holes)

                                  Hardware:
                                  http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3269

                                  Ulrich

                                  __________________________________
                                  Discover Yahoo!
                                  http://discover.yahoo.com/weekend.html
                                • ewdysar
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jun 8, 2005
                                    Wow, your van must be really packed. My slat bed legs are 3"x3"x24",
                                    about 1/2 cubic foot. My Doug Fir bed legs have plenty of "miles" on
                                    them...if you catch my drift... ;) with no problems.

                                    Eirikr

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jun 8, 2005
                                      Looks like a great later period bed. How far does it break down,
                                      i.e. do the legs come off the head and foot boards? Are there
                                      supports under the ply bed base? So it appears no tools for
                                      assembly and all modern hardware hidden when put together.
                                      Excellent.

                                      Eirikr

                                      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Hayes
                                      <von_landstuhl@y...> wrote:

                                      > My slat-style bed (I use plywood instead of slats) is held together
                                      > with modern knock-down bed hardware from Woodcraft. It's gone to
                                      > almost 10 Pennsics and still works great.
                                      >
                                      > Bed:
                                      > http://www.midrealm.org/ballaeban/ulrich/ans/bed.jpg
                                      > (ignore the bed bolt covers. they just cover empty holes)
                                      >
                                      > Hardware:
                                      > http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3269
                                      >
                                      > Ulrich
                                      >

                                      > __________________________________
                                      > Discover Yahoo!
                                      > Find restaurants, movies, travel and more fun for the weekend.
                                      Check it out!
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jun 8, 2005
                                        --- ewdysar <ewdysar@...> wrote:
                                        > Looks like a great later period bed. How far does it break down,
                                        > i.e. do the legs come off the head and foot boards? Are there
                                        > supports under the ply bed base? So it appears no tools for
                                        > assembly and all modern hardware hidden when put together.

                                        It breaks down into 7 pieces. The sides break down into four pieces
                                        with the legs being integral to the head and footboards. The two
                                        pieces of plywood rest on a 2x4 rail that's screwed and glued around
                                        the inside. There's also a additional support across the middle (going
                                        across the shorter dimension).

                                        The bed hasn't survived in this form. While falling into it was easy
                                        enough, getting out took a little effort. Last year, I replaced the
                                        sides with 2x8's and kept the panels for a future project.

                                        As I mentioned before, the modern bed hardware works beautifully (and
                                        can't be seen). The only change I made from the packaging was to use
                                        longer screws in the endgrain of my new sides.

                                        Ulrich

                                        __________________________________
                                        Discover Yahoo!
                                        http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html
                                      • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jun 8, 2005
                                          Lets see.... two Tents, archery gear thats combat(must include armor bag)
                                          and real stuff, cloths for a week, bedding, box for dog, box for bird, bath
                                          pan and perch for bird, food for a week(no vendors) and if any person goes
                                          with me.... I will make the bed fit but it is still on the bottom of the to
                                          do list....after fixing manure spreader, wagon, and haybined...which
                                          requieres fixing the air compressor, cutting down an oak tree, that is if
                                          the chain saw is fixed. I am so glad I'm retired and do not "have ta" do
                                          anything.

                                          James Cunningham
                                          getting ready to go get the tires to replace the "baldies" on the Jeep.