Butchers' gloves? WAS Re: New to the Group

  • Chris Larsson (Hrelgar)
    Message 1 of 36 , Jun 6, 2005
      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "msgilliandurham"
      <msgilliandurham@y...> wrote:
      > Greetings to the list, and a question --
      >
      > There exists something called "butchers' gloves" -- gloves available
      > mundanely, made, IIRC, of tiny links of chain mail, or tiny chain mail
      > and heavy leather. They are worn by (of course) butchers, to keep them
      > from slicing their hands open while cutting up carcasses. They are
      > very flexible.
      >
      > Would wearing these, or something like them, eliminate some of these
      > injuries, do you think? or would the gloves make it too difficult to
      > grasp the wood on which you were working?
      >
      > Gillian (who needs all her fingers for sewing) Durham
      My opinion:

      Mail is great for occasional defense against slashing attacks and to a
      lesser extent thrusts (butcher knives and shark teeth), but is not
      good against repeated attacks or thrusts. If you think about a bandsaw
      or table saw blade, you have many hundreds, if not thousands of
      "attacks" per second, which are a combination of thrust and slice. I
      think these will very quickly shred even welded mail (unless it's made
      of thick wire). Also, it will have a tendency to catch the links and
      draw your hand into the blade.

      I have no direct experience with the above subject, just a little
      knowledge about the characteristics of mail and the characteristics of
      blades. I doubt that mail gloves will help much at all with
      woodworking accidents. 100% attentiveness is a far better defense.

      Chris
    • Chris Larsson (Hrelgar)
      Message 36 of 36 , Jun 6, 2005
        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "thorkatlamana"
        <funkchic@a...> wrote:
        > This is in regards to using a glove when carving, not using power
        > tools.
        > I use a "carvers glove" that is a strange knit material that fits my
        > hand very well, and does not hinder my abilities one bit. It is also
        > referred to as a "fish scaler's glove", but since I bought mine at
        > Woodcrafter's, the label was appropriate.

        Ah, non-power tools... ok, yes gloves would help. Sorry about my
        previous append. Is this the kind of thing that you're referring to?

        http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Item/51/22/43/i512243hz02.jpg

        This sounds like a good idea. I should go see if I can find a pair.

        Chris