Well as is normal when it comes to these types of projects (at least
around here) we wanted to have the Fyrdraca ready for Lilies (starts
this Friday) so we started her repairs last week:)
All of last week we spent many hours each night removing bad caulk,
scraping paint, sanding, replacing most of the caulk (all of it below
the waterline it seems), repainting and then touching up the paint.
for before, in
between and after shots!
We wiped down all the oars, mast, yard and rigging with a good coat
of linseed oil.
The Oar racks are being sanded and re varnished as well.
The name plate is being repainted today.
And with a little luck she will have a new sail next week as well
(but we aren't counting on it)
We took out all the previous wiring (save the bilge pump wires) and
are replacing all the required navigation lights (for night time use)
with removable solar powered lights.
We have modified the current trailer as well.
We had toyed with the idea of renaming her but decided against it
going on the old sailors theory of doing so is bad luck;)
We are loading her onto the trailer tonight and prepping her for the
journey to Smithville Lake (near Kansas City Mo).
We plan to take her to the lake (where Lilies is held) and row her
from the marina to the beach on site, where we will
intentionally "sink" her for a few days before the event begins.
She has been out of the water for quite some time and we feel this
will help her swelling process and this leak less in the long run;)
We hope to have lots of fun with her during the week, if your at
Lilies feel free to seek us out and pull on an oar;)
Exhausted before Lilies has even begun;)