Recommendations on books for woodworking

  • david.pugh@adelphia.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 6, 2005
      I was wondering if anyone could give some recommendations on some good books for an absolute beginner. I am looking for books that discuss period techniques, wood selection, how to use the tools, and basic period projects with instructions, so I will probably be looking to buy several books.

      Thanks,
      David
    • Ralph Lindberg
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 6, 2005
        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, <david.pugh@a...> wrote:
        > I was wondering if anyone could give some recommendations on some
        good books for an absolute beginner. I am looking for books that
        discuss period techniques, wood selection, how to use the tools, and
        basic period projects with instructions, so I will probably be looking
        to buy several books.

        Personally I am a great fan of books by Fine Woodworking
        http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/index.asp

        As for period technique books... That's one I'd like to see myself

        Ralg
        AnTir
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 6, 2005
          It's been my experience that there aren't any for beginners in "medieval
          woodworking." There are LOTS of good resources for "hand work," "old
          fashioned," and "handicraft" woodworking. Most of us started with those, and
          then started to research how to pick out the medieval techniques from the
          post 1600's/pre-industrial techniques.

          The current "go to" man for hand woodworking techniques is Roy Underhill.
          He has a number of books out on hand woodworking, mostly 17th and 18th
          century stuff, but a good read.

          Master Ranaulf (Gary Halstead) has a good reading list at:
          http://www.medievalwoodworking.com/articles/readlist.htm

          Roy's books are at the head of the "Woodworking" category, about midway down
          the list.

          Master Will
          http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

          I was wondering if anyone could give some recommendations on some good books
          for an absolute beginner. I am looking for books that discuss period
          techniques, wood selection, how to use the tools, and basic period projects
          with instructions, so I will probably be looking to buy several books.

          Thanks,
          David

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • James W. Pratt, Jr.
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 6, 2005
            I too like the "Fine Woodworking" books. I would first hit any local
            Library for what they have.

            James Cunningham

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 7, 2005
              I've always been a fan of Roy Underhill's
              books. Taken with a grain of salt they are
              good references for handtool woodworking.

              --- "James W. Pratt, Jr." <cunning@...> wrote:

              > I too like the "Fine Woodworking" books. I would
              > first hit any local
              > Library for what they have.
              >
              > James Cunningham
              >
              > I am looking for books that
              > > discuss period techniques, wood selection, how to
              > use the tools, and
              > > basic period projects with instructions, so I will
              > probably be looking
              > > to buy several books.
              > > >
              > > Personally I am a great fan of books by Fine
              > Woodworking
              > > http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/index.asp
              > >
              > > As for period technique books... That's one I'd
              > like to see myself
              > >
              > > Ralg
              > > AnTir
              > >

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              __________________________________
              Yahoo! Mail Mobile
              http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
            • Dan Baker
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 8, 2005
                I am very fortunite to live in a town that is known for furniture.
                The local library has an extensive section. a few thousand of very
                interesting books in a controlled enviroment room. I can't take books
                out of the room. But I can take a PC and a digital camera in. There
                is an very large amount dealing with SCA period furniture, although
                it's only a percentage of the total collection, there is at least a
                hundred or two I want to make images of. And most of them are out of
                copyright.

                -Rhys

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 8, 2005
                  And this town is where? And your guest room is how big?

                  Master Will
                  http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                  I am very fortunite to live in a town that is known for furniture.
                  The local library has an extensive section. a few thousand of very
                  interesting books in a controlled enviroment room. I can't take books
                  out of the room. But I can take a PC and a digital camera in. There
                  is an very large amount dealing with SCA period furniture, although
                  it's only a percentage of the total collection, there is at least a
                  hundred or two I want to make images of. And most of them are out of
                  copyright.

                  -Rhys

                  On 6/7/05, Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@...> wrote:
                  > I've always been a fan of Roy Underhill's
                  > books. Taken with a grain of salt they are
                  > good references for handtool woodworking.
                  >
                  > --- "James W. Pratt, Jr." <cunning@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > I too like the "Fine Woodworking" books. I would
                  > > first hit any local
                  > > Library for what they have.
                  > >
                  > > James Cunningham
                  > >
                  > > I am looking for books that
                  > > > discuss period techniques, wood selection, how to
                  > > use the tools, and
                  > > > basic period projects with instructions, so I will
                  > > probably be looking
                  > > > to buy several books.
                  > > > >
                  > > > Personally I am a great fan of books by Fine
                  > > Woodworking
                  > > > http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/index.asp
                  > > >
                  > > > As for period technique books... That's one I'd
                  > > like to see myself
                  > > >
                  > > > Ralg
                  > > > AnTir
                  > > >

                  > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                  > > >

                  > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                  >
                  > Aude Aliquid Dignum
                  > ' Dare Something Worthy '

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Dan Baker
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 8, 2005
                    Barony of Andelcrag, Midrealm MKA: Grand Rapids, MI

                    Come on over, we'll find space. Fall Crown will be here this year.

                    -Rhys

                    On 6/8/05, Bill McNutt <mcnutt@...> wrote:
                    > And this town is where? And your guest room is how big?
                    >
                    > Master Will
                    > http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                  • vernon harra

                      http://mail.yahoo.com