Re: [MedievalSawdust] Dove Tail ponderance

  • Tim Bray
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 5, 2005
      I'm interested in more information on this style of chest.
      At one time I had photo copies of pictures of chests which were apparently
      framed with half lapped dove tail joints ( in the manner of the half lapped
      dovetail joints used in timber framed building construction), instead of
      mortise and tenon construction. It would seem that I've lost that information
      over the years.
      I would like to locate information about their construction, and provenance.

      One or two are shown or described in:
      Church Chests of the Twelfth and Thirteenth Centuries in England, by Philip Mainwaring Johnston, F.R.I.B.A.
      No ISBN.  Reprint of an article from Archaeological Journal, v. 64, no. 4, 1907.
      Available from Caber Press, 7459 N. Fenwick, Portland OR 97217.
      http://home.teleport.com/~tcl/caber.htm
      Master Magnus got Jack to reprint this, and it is the best $12.95 (plus shipping) you will ever spend.

      On a related note, this site
       http://www.amgron.clara.net/dovetails/dvtailtesting/dvtailtestindex.htm
      describes testing that indicates that when glue is not used, that the strength
      of a dovetail joint increases as the angle of the dovetails increases, up to
      about 35 degrees.

      I think we talked about that before... very interesting findings, especially the part about the joint being _stronger_ without glue!

      My conclusion, IIRC, was that this probably went a long way toward explaining the preference for wide dovetail angles in the late MA, because I don't think they relied much on glue.

      Cheers,
      Colin

      Albion Works
      Furniture and Accessories
      For the Medievalist!
    • Tim Bray
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 5, 2005
        By the way - those 1430s dovetailed carcases I was talking about, on the Belgian retables?  They have face-miters, something like the ones shown here:
        http://www.amgron.clara.net/dovetails/boxdovetails/boxdovetailindex.htm
        But only on the front edge.

        Cheers,
        Colin