Re: [MedievalSawdust] Sanding vs planing/scraping, water vs mineral spirits

  • Susy-Earthlink
    Message 1 of 7 , May 30 5:53 AM
      Probably a bit late on this reply, but the sand paper does leave "tooth" for the finish to grad hold of.  The grain is still open a little allowing the finish to adhere to the wood.  With the "glassy" smooth finish, there was probably nothing for the finish to "grab" onto.  I don't know if the oil would soak into a smoothly finished piece or not.  I'm not that familiar with oil finishes.  I'm guessing you'd make out better though.
      Scaighagh
      Catching up on my last 400 emails...

      John LaTorre wrote:
      OK, guys and gals. New topic here:

      I just completed a set of poles for a sunshade and, rather than sand them in
      preparation for finishing them, used exclusively a plane and scraper. They
      were, as you'd expect, glassy smooth.

      But when I painted them (with Flectro Varathane), the finish didn't seem to
      want to go onto the surface as well as it usually does. I ended up thinning
      it with mineral spirits and now all three coats are on and curing, but it
      got me to thinking:

      1. Do the fine scratches caused by sanding help the finish stick to the
      wood? Has anybody else noticed this?

      2. I've used water-based urethane vinishes and found them to be far less
      durable than the mineral-spirit based ones. Has anybody had any experience
      with a water-based finish that they have found to be equal to the
      mineral-spirit based ones, or is my experience pretty much the same as
      everybody else's?

      (As for the inevitable question of why I didn't use paint or linseed oil or
      the like, I knew that the poles were going to be subjected to a lot of abuse
      and wanted the most rugged, maintenance-free finish, and for me, that's
      still Varathane.)

      Baron Johann von Drachenfels (John LaTorre)

      2.