Re: [MedievalSawdust] Let's talk about hinges

  • Dan Baker
    Message 1 of 6 , May 25, 2005
      Hmmm on the subject of wood hinges,

      According to "Church Chests of the Twelfth and Thirteenth Centuries in
      England" by Phillip Johnston, Caber Press. pg 8
      http://home.teleport.com/~tcl/caber.htm Pin Hinges (intergral wood
      hinges) were ONLY found from the end of the twelfth to the later part
      of the thirteenth century and and no examples exist from the forteenth
      century or later. But it was really common in the thirteeth century.
      Often both a pin hinge and a strap hinge were used on the same chest.

      Does anyone have any information that this is incorrect?

      -Rhys